AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
in general I prefer LCD (brighter) but I hate to generalize since I think projectors should be judged on the image then the technology

·
Registered
581 Posts
Snakeman,

Why the name "Snakeman"?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I prefer DLP because of the smoother image/higher contrast. Screen door bothers me far more than rainbow.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm not bothered by rainbows, but screendoor drives me nuts. I also like to smoother picture and contrast of DLP.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ssj2
I'm not bothered by rainbows, but screendoor drives me nuts. I also like to smoother picture and contrast of DLP.

Ditto....

Where's the Poll in this thread?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
LCOS.

It has neither the screen door of LCD, nor the rainbows of DLP.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
All projectors have their issues...yes Mark even LCOS :) Each person has a tolerance for some issues more than others. No one can predict for each individual what will drive them batty.

Highest recommendation is to not take any of our choices, but to see as many and choose for yourself.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi,

Problems of digital projectors:

LCD:

- screen door

- vertical banding

- scan-line-effect-in-vertical-motion-object

DLP:

- rainbow

- motion artifacts (dithering and crosshatching)

- video noise

LCOS:

- never really see one so other please comment.

Thanks in advance.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
726 Posts
Li On;

I believe a downside to LCOS is a higher entry fee. I think it starts at $5k for Hitachi and some others, $10 and up for JVC. I guess it is too bad that the forum split, we might not hear of LCOS so much now. They also seem to be higher resolution that scales reasonably well with the price, so it's not as bad as it seems.

And they also seem to *require* tweaking to get acceptable performance, whereas LCD and DLP units often can be used out of the box. Tweaking improves things, but not nearly so dramatically. Or so I've read.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Although these shots are not representative of the actual image it does demonstrate how much of a difference tweaking a DLP can make. Although some may prefer the before mods picture because of its apparent brighter image in these screen shots, the actual image is much much better after mods. Black is black, colors are richer, and contrast is extremely three dimensional. These shots are meant to show how much of a difference can be acheived by tweaking just about any projector.

Before Mods:
http://www.msnusers.com/MilleEmporiu...oto&PhotoID=77

Aftermods:
http://www.msnusers.com/MilleEmporiu...to&PhotoID=114

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
My next projector will will be a DLP.

I have an XGA LCD-projector now and I'm fed up with the texture of the picture. I'm not talking about screendoor, I'm talking about the texture of the panels that show in the same way as vertical banding, only not in a systematic pattern. I have finally eliminated the vertical banding, the color uniformity (most of it) and the dead pixel, and the texture is really starting to bug me now. I guess I have myself to blame, I'm so picky. :)

I suspect that LCOS-projectors have a similar texture-effect.

I have never been bothered by rainbows before, and I'm certainly not going to tell my friends about it if I get a DLP. The improved black-level will be much-appreciated too.

I won't upgrade for a few years, though. I just bought my LCD-projector. :) I'm trying to be happy with it. My friends are all very impressed. :D

Tor Arne

·
Registered
726 Posts
To add to the LCOS downsides, their bulbs are a little more expensive, run hotter and require more cooling, therefore louder fans, a lot of LCOS people build hush/cooling boxes for the noise and heat control.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
This is exactly what I see when I look at the several screen captures users here have posted of the AE100.

The screen door looks substantially reduced but is replaced by a "texture" that makes the picture look like it's projected on fabric.

Pick your poison, I guess, rainbows or visible structure... (or LCOS/CRT if you are so inclined).

Quote:
Originally posted by tahustvedt
My next projector will will be a DLP.

I have an XGA LCD-projector now and I'm fed up with the texture of the picture. I'm not talking about screendoor, I'm talking about the texture of the panels that show in the same way as vertical banding, only not in a systematic pattern. I have finally eliminated the vertical banding, the color uniformity (most of it) and the dead pixel, and the texture is really starting to bug me now. I guess I have myself to blame, I'm so picky. :)

I suspect that LCOS-projectors have a similar texture-effect.

I have never been bothered by rainbows before, and I'm certainly not going to tell my friends about it if I get a DLP. The improved black-level will be much-appreciated too.

I won't upgrade for a few years, though. I just bought my LCD-projector. :) I'm trying to be happy with it. My friends are all very impressed. :D

Tor Arne

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wireless
I prefer DLP because of the smoother image/higher contrast. Screen door bothers me far more than rainbow.
Me too. That's why I sold my NEC VT540 (lcd) in favor of an NEC LT150 DLP.

But I think my next projector will be LCOS, in about 2 years. By that time the price should come down to my level.

If the price *doesn't* come down on LCOS, then I'll get a native 16:9 DLP with the higher speed color wheel.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am going to stick to my old Barco CRT for a while.

Digital are just in it infants. I really like the look of a DLP. A while ago I saw the plus piano. I was impressed by the out the box picture. Just getting rid of that rainbow and in my opinion you have very good product In my eyes the contrast was more than enough. I know some CRT diehards would not agree.

That should lower the sales on TVs and RPTVs.

The famous LT-150 must have been a killer at the low price a year ago. The rainbow effect and the "high" prices on digitals are stopping me. I am student so money is the most effective blockage.

The rainbow problem will be solved one way or another. When that is in place I will not recomend a CRT to newbie unless they really really want to.

Is it possible to learn not to see rainbow?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.