AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new cable box from Time Warner. I have the option of using an RGB converter or a new box with DVI output. This is a Scientific Atlanta HD box. I have been using the component output up till know.

I know Dan Miller has recommended RGB over component for HDTV on the S2 but now the DVI boxes are available. Would I be improving my PQ with the DVI option over using the RGB converter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know how the DVI and RGB outputs compare with these boxes, but, in any case, you might want to consider going the RGB route for HDTV so that the projector's DVI output remains available for DVD. (Otherwise you'd have to get an outboard DVI switcher.)

Bob

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The S2's component input will not accept the full bandwidth of HD. It was designed with DVD in mind. It yields a slightly less sharp picture with HD as a result. There is no compromise in PQ with DVD however.

That is why the RGB input would be prefered over it for HD on the S2. DVI eliminates the unneeded D/A and A/D conversion that using RGB requires. DVI makes a visible difference with DVD. I would expect that it would make an even bigger difference with HD.

My PQ from a DVI equiped DVD player is very close to the PQ from my HD cable box using component output. I have been dissappointed with the small improvement HD has given me, and I think the fact that the cable box does not have a DVI outpup is why. I would switch to a DVI cable box in a heart beat if I could.

Check with the folks in the HD forums. DVI is what we want.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
[SNIP]My PQ from a DVI equiped DVD player is very close to the PQ from my HD cable box using component output. I have been dissappointed with the small improvement HD has given me, and I think the fact that the cable box does not have a DVI outpup is why. I would switch to a DVI cable box in a heart beat if I could.

Check with the folks in the HD forums. DVI is what we want.
In my system, RGB from the Bell ExpressVu Model 6000 (a unit also sold by DirectTV, I believe) has a significantly better picture than with the component connection. With the right program material, the picture quality of HDTV material on the VP-12S2 is better than any DVD I've seen, using the Marantz DV-8400's component or DVI output (I prefer the latter).

Bob

·
Registered
792 Posts
I believe it has been reported in various reviews, that the S2 via component feed, is not the way to hook up any HD feed, as it is rolling of the signal. DVD;s will be fine, (and finer still thru dvi input).

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Get the DVI box. IMHO, DVI from DVD will yield far less of an improvement as it does from HD. I'm doing the same thing. At best DVD is still NTSC. If I'm going to make something as ood as possible, it's gonna be maximum megahertzage.

:)

DM

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Dan! That will be my first choice. I have a meeting with the VP of customer service at my local Time Warner. They promised to get whatever I need after all the hoops they had me jump through up till now.

I have to say that the HD being fed through component was spectacular already. Way better than DVD. I can't wait to see the improvement!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Miller
Get the DVI box. IMHO, DVI from DVD will yield far less of an improvement as it does from HD. I'm doing the same thing. At best DVD is still NTSC. If I'm going to make something as ood as possible, it's gonna be maximum megahertzage.

:)

DM
Hmmmm, a couple of things to look at prior to marrying yourself and the one S2 DVI input to your ATSC cable box.

1. Look at the amount of usage on the S2 you have for HDTV or DVD content. The one with the most should obviously be optimized.

2. It would be interesting to hear which source (ATSC vs. DVD) should be relegated to analog input by testing/viewing the PQ improvement of DVI over component video on each source.

3. The DVI DVD player, like the Bravo D1 which I represent, is being used by many ISF calibrators with DVE or Avia for DVI input set up. Even if you designate the ATSC to DVI you'll have an inexpensive start to your digital calibration.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
DWIN also is selling another version of their external scaler for use with other projectors. I think it's called the T3. It has 2 of every input (no HDMI or firwire) and will scale everything to 720p and send it to the projector via a single DVI cable.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm sure you've already considered this, but I thought it might be worth asking: Has your TWC office confirmed that the DVI input is activated on the HD box you're considering? I don't believe the DVI port is currently usable in most areas on the Scientific Atlanta boxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.