Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it really better?

an another.I need a 50" dvi cable.....I've found the monster cables on ebay....are the dvi signals damaged by the long distance?

Must I sell my vp12s2 and upgrade to s3???

why?

thanks

angelo:D

·
Registered
794 Posts
Angelo,

I own an S2. I have also had experience with an Infocus 7200. My S2 projects a very satisfying high definition image with 1080i material (DirectTV). The S2 is capable of amazing three-dimensional displays with 720p DVD material as long as the transfer, focus, color saturation, etc.. is of a high quality. I also know that I can further improve contrast by darkening my walls (but wife will not allow), investing $450 on an ISF calibration, replacing the factory power cord with a better one, installing a dedicated power supply, etc.., You see, I wonder how many of us are using the S2 to its true capability.

IMHO, upgrading to an S3 would only make sense when higher resolution software becomes available (HD DVD?). until then I plan to invest a little more money working on optimizing the room and the infrastructure,

Of course, if I had to buy a new projector, I would start with the S3. I welcome the opinion of other S2 owners on this topic.

·
Premium Member
7,496 Posts
I'm sitting tight with my S2 until material improvements are made at some point in the food chain...either software (say HD DVD depending on final specs) or hardware, say 1080p native PJs...

Not that I wouldn't welcome the incremental improvements brought by the S3 over the S2. However, the financial hit would be larger than the perceived improvement (in my eyes anyway).

TM

·
Banned
329 Posts
IMHO, the cost to upgrade from the S2 to the S3 isn't worth it.

As a very happy S2 owner, the added features in the S3 are nice, but not $4000 nice (which is probably the added cost to sell the S2 and upgrade).

I have seen 22-25 other Home Theaters with DLP/LCD projectors, and I'll still take my S2 over any of them. I've also seen 4 with CRTs...and I'd take mine over theirs as well. Seeing HDTV and DVDs using DVI output into the S2 is beyond words for excellence.

If I was starting over, I'd probably get the S3 over other products on the market, but a discounted S2 for $3000-$4000 less would be VERY tempting.

In terms of a 50' DVI cable...that may be an issue, especially depending on which kind of cable you get - for that length, you can't use any old cable - needs to be a high quality one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.