AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. My first post. a bit nervous, so please, Be Nice...

You don't need to know this (I'm just looking for sympathy); but I came home from holiday yesterday to find that my kitchen was flooded AND I'd had a break in... Amongst the missing are my SIM2 HT200 DM.

So, once I've dealt with the a**holes from the insurance company, I'm hoping for a new PJ.

Funnily enough, I had been looking for a replacement, and had settled on a Marantz VP12 S2. Tonight I spoke to my dealer, who says the new (not actually available here for a week or two) Sim2 Domino 30 is great.

Obviously I'll audition, but has anybody seen both? Any opinions? I've been pretty happy with the 200 DM, apart from the blacks, which are fine, but I came from CRT, and I've always missed the CR a little.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
How about the BenQ 8700?

Should be priced sanely, and be an incredibly worthy projector till full HD comes out. Call AVS and ask what they're selling em for.

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tryg
How about the BenQ 8700?

Should be priced sanely, and be an incredibly worthy projector till full HD comes out. Call AVS and ask what they're selling em for.
According to some owners & reviewers, the BenQ has fan noise and projection throw distance issues. Deal busters for some.

To get back to the question at hand... the S2 is still my favorite and benchmark digital projector. However, it is great to see the Sim2 offer such a competitive alternative, and some folks even prefer the Sim2 over the S2.

Another issue to consider with the S2, the projector receives outstanding support on the forum by Dan Miller.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't even think the Domino 30 has DVI period, so that would be the deal breaker IMO.

From Sim2's website, Domino 30 tech specs:

Inputs/Outputs

1 x Composite video via RCA connectors

1 x S –VHS via mini Din 4 pin

1 x RGBHV via Dsub 15 (PC input)

1 x RGBS/YCrCbS via 4xRCA connectors

1 x RS232 on Dsub 9 pins connector

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDCP isn't an issue here (yet) but DVI I wouild like. However, I'm not sure if (a) there's a DVI capable DVD player available here yet and (b) if I can or can't live without a DVI input.

It's going to be impossible to audition these 2 units with a DVI input. Does it REALLY make that big of a difference?

I guess my question is: on analog input, are both these PJs equally good? If the s2 is just as good as the Domino 30, then obviously I'll go for the S2 (though I'm a bit worried about lamp flicker issues).

·
Registered
393 Posts
You had a SIM 200 and were satisfied with it, I'd go for the upgrade and stick with SIM products. I compared the marantz vp12s2 with the sim 300plus and chose the 300plus....a better picture to me but I must say they are both excellant machines.

sorry to hear about the break in

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by greg snow
HDCP isn't an issue here (yet) but DVI I wouild like. However, I'm not sure if (a) there's a DVI capable DVD player available here yet and (b) if I can or can't live without a DVI input.

It's going to be impossible to audition these 2 units with a DVI input. Does it REALLY make that big of a difference?

I guess my question is: on analog input, are both these PJs equally good? If the s2 is just as good as the Domino 30, then obviously I'll go for the S2 (though I'm a bit worried about lamp flicker issues).
Definitely go for a DVI input! The S2 is a great choice, too. Make sure you use a screen with at least some gain, as the PJ is not very bright. I have my S2 paired with a 110" Firehawk (1.3 gain) and a HTPC with DVI - awesome picture!

_____

Axel

·
Premium Member
7,269 Posts
You could also wait for the S3, just around the corner...

TM

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Quote:

The picture from DVD over DVI is better than over component. This seems to be the opinion of the overwellming majority. It does make a difference, IMO. You can get the Bravo D-1 for less than $200, or the Sammy 931 for a little more than $200.

The PQ advantages of DVI vs component are greater than the very minor differences between the S2 and any of the other HD2 PJs (except for the much brighter SP7200) that I have seen. IMO, any HD2 PJ using DVI is going to have superior overall PQ than any other HD2 using component. HDCP is going to be essential to using the DVI port for any future sources like DVD players with DVI, HD DVD, and the like.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a PJ today without DVI with HDCP, unless I was getting it so cheap that I could consider it a throw away. One other thing to know about DVI, some PJs have the basic PQ controls disabled on the DVI port (Sharp 10000 and HT 1000 to name two). Bad idea. However, if you are willing and able to use the advanced color menus to adjust r,g,b, color gains and offsets, you can get around this limitation.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glenned
......One other thing to know about DVI, some PJs have the basic PQ controls disabled on the DVI port (Sharp 10000 and HT 1000 to name two). Bad idea. However, if you are willing and able to use the advanced color menus to adjust r,g,b, color gains and offsets, you can get around this limitation.
I think this is a very valid point. BTW, the S2 allows you to make adjustments for the DVI... and those of us who use an HTPC have additionally numerous ways to tweak the image through the HTPC.

_____

Axel

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for these replies, chaps. I'll be auditioning both units soon enough, though not side by side. However, you've made me think hard about the DVI issue and it does seem to be a dealbreaker. Stupid of SIM2, IMO. Some say it's just marketing, because they want us to buy the 300 Xtra or Link. But an extra $4,000 for a DVI port seems a bit cheeky.

The Bravo D1 won't work on R2 so do I get the Samsung or the Brainwave/Momitsu?

·
Registered
7,526 Posts
Quote:
The Bravo D1 won't work on R2 so do I get the Samsung or the Brainwave/Momitsu?
There are reports of remote codes that can change the D1 to a multi-region player as well as disable macrovision.

Infact, there is someone selling "pre-hacked" D1 players in the classifieds section. Check it out.

http://avsf.videogon.com/cgi-bin/buy...vda&1070241289

·
Registered
73 Posts
The D1 uses the same sigma chipset as the V880.

I have the brainwave and connected to my HT300link it looks absolute stunning.

Brainwave has no macrovision and is region free.

Hope it helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.