AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very close to purchasing one of these, anyone know what the latest firmware number

on this unit is, so i can get a newer model, and if it will be upgradeable as time goes on.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
There is no way to view the version number, that I am aware of, and to upgrade you have to send the unit to a Marantz dealer. It has to be "opened up" for any updates. Sounds like something from the '80s, doesn't it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Right.

Dan Miller of Marantz claims that they have to actually clip onto the flash chips to update the FW. I think this must be wrong.

I would be shocked if this unit does not have a TAP (JTAG) bus for testing the electronics and FW loading. It would be rather backward without a TAP interface.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Unless you are planning on using a HTPC you don't need a unit with the new firmware. All the new firmware does is fix sync issues with HTPC's.

If you were to place an order now your unit would most likely have the new firmware. The VP12s1 has been on back order for months. So you would not end up with a unit that was manufactured a long time ago. As of the end of May they are caught up with back orders.

What Dan Miller "claims" is true. Much of it has to do with protecting licensing agreements with Faroudja. He has no reason to pass false information. He is here to help us despite the comments of one particular person on this forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.