AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my VP30 outputting to my 50" Plasma (1366 x 768) at 1 to 1 pixel mapping. Looks great, no complaints. But for some reason CBS HD always comes through with a half inch black space at the top of the screen. NBC,FOX, ABC do not do this, so I'm assuming it is the fault of the CBS feed. I don't know if CBS sends the picture that way, but not only is it annoying its a bit hazardous to my display. I think I noticed some image retention that matched that black space about a week ago. Ever since then I have not watched any of my DVRed CBS shows. Well yesterday, I decided to try to get rid of black bar. It took +24 overscan to get rid of it. I tried adjusting the picture with vertical position, but that just makes a "snowy" line at the bottom that will not fill when you adjust overscan (I figure I'd move the picture up a bit so I'd have less overscan, since overscan expands the picture out at all sides).

So my questions are:

How much does overscan affect the picture quality? If it does at all.

Is there any other tricks/adjustments to accomplish what I need that would be better?

I know i could set up different user inputs schemes and save them, but that would severely confuse the girlfriend when she wants to watch something. And is a bit of a PITA.

Obviously not damaging the display is more important then a bit of picture quality, but I'm hoping I can have both.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka_c /forum/post/0

I have my VP30 outputting to my 50" Plasma (1366 x 768) at 1 to 1 pixel mapping. Looks great, no complaints. But for some reason CBS HD always comes through with a half inch black space at the top of the screen. NBC,FOX, ABC do not do this, so I'm assuming it is the fault of the CBS feed. I don't know if CBS sends the picture that way, but not only is it annoying its a bit hazardous to my display. I think I noticed some image retention that matched that black space about a week ago. Ever since then I have not watched any of my DVRed CBS shows. Well yesterday, I decided to try to get rid of black bar. It took +24 overscan to get rid of it. I tried adjusting the picture with vertical position, but that just makes a "snowy" line at the bottom that will not fill when you adjust overscan (I figure I'd move the picture up a bit so I'd have less overscan, since overscan expands the picture out at all sides).

So my questions are:

How much does overscan affect the picture quality? If it does at all.

Is there any other tricks/adjustments to accomplish what I need that would be better?

I know i could set up different user inputs schemes and save them, but that would severely confuse the girlfriend when she wants to watch something. And is a bit of a PITA.

Obviously not damaging the display is more important then a bit of picture quality, but I'm hoping I can have both.

Get rid of half the black border with zoom and vertical pan the rest of it and you should be set with minimal zooming (half of overscan you tried before).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.