AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to set up my VP50Pro to output only the "Active" video area on 2.4 AR filmsourced BluRay. I would like it to be at [email protected]

This will be used to feed a blended crt setup for a 2.4AR screen.

Can anyone give me advice on how to set up my scaler to do this - Not just 800 lines, but 800 of the original lines within the active portion. In other words, get rid of the wasted bandwidth used to create black bars.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
661 Posts
I have a vp50 not pro and all I had to do was set up a 1080p display profile then you can decrease the 1080 lines to 800p

When you save it as a profile and hit info it should show 1920X800p @ 71.93 hz locked after you alter the framerate in under 24hz.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wildchild, thanks for your response.

Yes, the Pro version is the same, but my only concern is that all 800 lines are actually being outputted in the 2.4 AR part of the "active area" not just reducing the output resolution to 1920X817 which also includes the black bars, if you know what I mean.

I would assume that once I select the Active AR as 2.40, this would do it for me, but I'm not 100% sure.

Does this make sense? Sorry I didn't word it better, but hopefully you know what I mean.

If I keep 1080P as the output resolution and select 2.4 as the Active AR, then the actual used video portion of the picture would be upscaled.

Many Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
661 Posts
I am almost 100% certain that 800p is just removing the black bars and not touching the image. I never bothered to do anything with aspect ratio just set the resolution and used it.

It looks great to me so I think this is correct.

Maybe ask Gary Murell as he used a vp50 pro and does active area scanning.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi Bob

I have the vp50pro running the way you want 24p in & VP set to 2.40:1 (1920x800p/805p) Active AR,

but output 2:2 or 48Hz..

Also For best results its best to send the DVDO's YcBcR 4:2:2 in/out as this allows 10bit processing, Where as RGB & 4:4:4 are only handled @ 8bit by the VP...

I am happy to help you if you still need Assistance..

Cheers Bob,

Jase..

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Also For best results its best to send the DVDO's YcBcR 4:2:2 in/out as this allows 10bit processing, Where as RGB & 4:4:4 are only handled @ 8bit by the VP...

Interesting - I didn't know that! Right now, my system is down as I am making some changes to my two projectors and when I get it back up, I wanted to switch to [email protected] as this should eliminate any pixel processing and allow each projector to only see a 65Mhz signal, so that my ANSI contrast should be about as good as a digital.

I know that I am outputting YcBcR 4:2:2 @ 24fps via HD-SDI from my Oppo, but I can't remember if I had to use RGB out of the VP. Been a while, but I remember some compatibility issues with the TVOne's receiving anything but RGB. Do I also HAVE to output YcBcR from my VP to operate in 10 bit?

Many Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
10,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild22 /forum/post/19565449

I am almost 100% certain that 800p is just removing the black bars and not touching the image. I never bothered to do anything with aspect ratio just set the resolution and used it.

It looks great to me so I think this is correct.

Maybe ask Gary Murell as he used a vp50 pro and does active area scanning.

this is exactly correct, set vp50pro to 1920x1080p, then go into vertical resolution and cut down to 800, which is exactly 2.40:1

then set output screen to custom-2.40:1, then set output display to custom-2.40:1, perfect active area scanning only of 1920x800p

-Gary

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hi Bob

Not sure if you have set up you VP50pro for A A S as yet but you will also need to:

Under Input select/ Aspect ratio, set Frame Aspect to 16:9 &

set Active Aspect ratio to custom 2:40.1 by going to "user" which is below 2:35:1 in the AAR list (see page 19 in owners manual)..

You will more than likely need to run lower H-porch settings under output format to fill the Raster/tube Face..

Save all as Profile

Cheers Bob,

Jase

1 - 10 of 10 Posts