AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking for quite some time & haven't had a reason to post anything yet, until now. Since it's my first post, please be kind to a newbie to the world of CRT Projectors.

I was in one of the local used PC parts shops today & saw a Sony 1042q projector sitting on one of their shelves. My wife was with me and she was amazed that I didn't notice it immediately upon entering the store. Anyway, asked the staff behind the counter how much that it was selling for, he said only $50, but it doesn't power up. Now figuring that I'm pretty handy (somewhat) with electronics, I thought it would be a pretty good challenge to get this up & running.

I've searched the CRT forums for other posts on this projector & found a few. It seems that people are suspecting the 4.7uf capacitors in the power supply module. Could these be the source of the troubles I'm seeing?

The tubes look like they have very very little wear on them, nothing noticeable except a small outline on the blue tube.

If I should suspect these capacitors, any recommendations as to a source for replacements? I've tried looking through All Electronics & Jameco, but can't find an exact replacement.

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
496 Posts
The caps could be a problem, but I wouldn't start there. Look at the fans first. In the 103x units the fans dont matter, but on the 104x units if a fan stops the unit will shut down. Also- check to make sure all the boards are plugged in, look for cracks that might have occurred during shipping - especially on the larger boards, and you might glance at all the board for broken solder joints.

Hope this helps.

Kieth

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3 fans that I can see start to spin, then stop, so I don't think that's the problem. I will, however, reseat all the boards. We picked the unit up, threw it in the trunk, and proceeded to stop at half a dozen other places for our other errands.

Initially when I got the unit partially disassembled, the 'no power' problem that was described to me was traced to the Neutral wire not being soldered on to the back side of the power socket. I figured it was a quick & easy fix. I then went from absolutely no power to the shutdown immediately problem that I'm seeing.

Thanks for your suggestion though.

Ray

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
OK It may also be the Horozontal output transistors on the side heat sinks.

I had that problem on my 1031Q that I blew up before I read a post about the transisitors. Thanks god I had a newer 1031Q on its way to me to replace the one I destroyed.

One side of the pJ has the vertical tranies and on the othe rside the horozontal ones. I dont really know a good way to test them other then with an ohm meter to see if there shorted or not.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's ALIVE!!!

It was one of the connectors under the shield on the input board. Once that was reattached properly, it fired right up. It was adjacent to the input from the regulator board, and I probably bumped it loose when trying to remove the regulator connector (before I discovered the neutral wire wasn't even connected to the socket).

I have full rasters on all 3 tubes now, just trying to converge it on the wall of my dining room (largest flat white surface I have available at the moment).

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ray

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.