AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are the screen control knobs for this projector? The blue tube image is almost not visible. Gain and bias controls for blue do not solve the problem. There is also no retrace line on top of screen like green or red tubes. The vph-127X have screen knobs i found none on 1292 or in installer manual. Searches for "1292" or "1292 screen control" produced no result.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump. Btw, the "person" who sold me the projector claimed it had zero hours and NEW tubes at ebay. The hour reading is >4,000!! Item # 1350234660. Any help on blue would be appriciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello,

I have a 1272 and do not understand the term "screen control knob". Maybe you could describe what a screen knob is supposed to do and then we could figure out what the common term would be.

I am sorry to hear that the seller misrepresented the projector. The blue tubes on 12xx Sony projectors get phosphor burn faster than the red and green. This tube and lens will become dirty quicker and more severely than the other two. Have you pulled the lens off and examined the tube face? You can do a search for procedures to clean the lens and tube face. Be careful not to scratch or remove the special coating on the lens.

p.s. It is always nice to have a name to reference when responding to posts. Welcome to the forum.

Richard

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Sony1292 and previously had a Sony D50.

I have no idea what you are refering to by "screen control knob".

Maybe explain what your previous Sony 127X had and did.

Regards,

Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am refering to three knobs called "screen" which are available on 1252Q or 1270Q. They are located on top right side of projector together with 3 knobs for focus. You must remove the hood to see them. The 1292 does not have this. So how does one adjust screen brightness per tube? Screen can also be refered to as G2.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Check for other 1292 posts. There's probably not much wrong with the set at all, it's just not as bright as you are probably expecting.

Buy an Extron 202 and boost the input signal. That will bring the contrast up, esp. if you're driving it with an HTPC.

Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt,

The blue crt is only 30% the brightness of green or red. When an all white pattern is shown it is yellow. Boosting overall signal will not restore color uniformity. The retrace line in overscan area is missing on blue crt. A clear sign the tube is under driven. I have to look into lens to see blue picture. At small 90 inch size and blue gain at max, the test pattern can barly be seen if you look for it. I looked thru this projector from top to bottom. No knobs or poots for G2, screen or anything unlabled. Just lots of fans!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bump.

Has anyone performed a G2 calibration on a 1292 before? A friend has a Service Manual, but cant seem to locate any instructions on how to do it.

I've searched through all the 1292 threads I can find, but cant find anything that helps with this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
A friend have had the same problem with his 1292 , if i remember right, it was only a problem with the RGB Amplifier on the Blue CRT neck board ...

I'would confirm you when i can have more information from this friend ...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi,

I'm far from being an expert on 1292, I've mine since few weeks... Anyway, I can tell you that it's a complete different shape than other 12xx.

First there is no "screen" by nature ! nor "focus" as it's an EM focus crt and all is control at the remote level.

The line you seen on top is the AKB (ABL ?) aka Automatic G2 control.... There is no direct easy way to change automatic G2... But this can be done, check in the user manual, last pages...

Seems you really experiment an issue under driving your Blue tube... Have you try a full reset to factory settings ??

I've heard about a "special" mod on the blue deriver on 1292, but don't have any details...

Anyway, even if the 1292 is not the brightest pj in the world, the result picture is amazing, trust me, you may want more lumens on paper, but at screen it's really stunning... if you keep a reasonable screen size (2.50m base in 16/9 in my case).

--Patrice

·
Registered
24 Posts
User manual, I expected the G2 to be calibrated using a voltmeter like the 7" series ? Are you saying the calibration is done via remote?

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I have a 1292. The "G-2" is automatic on the 1292. The problem with the blue gun not putting out enough light is probably do to an electronic failure or a signal/cable issue. I am NOT a service tech but there are 2 circuit boards attached to the back of the CRT's that look like a cage. Most likely it is one of these or the foil strip wires which are VERY delicate.

Not to pour salt into your wound but I don't think anyone should buy a crt projector on EBAY unless you want it for parts or are a service tech. Al;most all of the decent projectors have been snapped up years ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Allen Fleener
I have a 1292. The "G-2" is automatic on the 1292. The problem with the blue gun not putting out enough light is probably do to an electronic failure or a signal/cable issue. I am NOT a service tech but there are 2 circuit boards attached to the back of the CRT's that look like a cage. Most likely it is one of these or the foil strip wires which are VERY delicate.
Hi Allen,

Thanks for the info. I bumped this old thread, because it seemed to be asking what I wanted to know. Not sure what the result was for FriendlyTrader and his Ebay purchase.

I've recently purchased a cheap 1292 in very poor condition. Tubes needed changing, case marked etc. A bunch of friends helped me change the tubes.

The issue I have now is, when running a 4:3 resolution through the HTPC, I notice brightness changes during movie playback in the black areas above/below the image. It has been suggested that G2 settings maybe way out which contribute to these changes in brightness. But are you confirming that it is totally automatic, even after a tube swap, nothing needs to be re-calibrated.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Friendly Trader,

Try putting the projector into warmup mode so the pj flashes the white screen and see if the blue comes to life. I believe the warmup mode bypasses any gain/bias settings and may help isolate the problem area.

Millsy,

The G2 settings are automatic on the 1292. Feed a signal with a mostly black image, eg black desktop, and see if you notice flashing or flickering then try it with no signal (internal oscillator). Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts

Not to pour salt into your wound but I don't think anyone should buy a crt projector on EBAY unless you want it for parts or are a service tech. Al;most all of the decent projectors have been snapped up years ago.

Allen,

While there are more than enough swindlers to go around selling everything from CRT pj's to tupperware, to say that all the "decent" projectors were snapped up years ago is ridiculous. Some of the pj's being sold today weren't even made yet "years ago". It's simply a matter of being VERY careful WHAT and WHO you buy from. Just like everything else on Ebay.

Bruce

·
Registered
9,398 Posts

Allen,

While there are more than enough swindlers to go around selling everything from CRT pj's to tupperware, to say that all the "decent" projectors were snapped up years ago is ridiculous. Some of the pj's being sold today weren't even made yet "years ago". It's simply a matter of being VERY careful WHAT and WHO you buy from. Just like everything else on Ebay.

~~~~~

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Techman707

Notice I said ALMOST ALL not ALL. I stand by my advice " you must be CAREFUL and you still can get burned"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Specboy
The G2 settings are automatic on the 1292. Feed a signal with a mostly black image, eg black desktop, and see if you notice flashing or flickering then try it with no signal (internal oscillator). Let us know what you find.
OK, the auto G2's are driving me crazy. Was watching Vertical Limit the other day, and there is 1 sequence where the scene flashes from a snow scene on the mountain, to a cave where the climbers are stuck. As the movie was going back/forth several times from light scene to dark scene, you could actually see the picture flash/shimmer as it was adjusting the light output. This is VERY distracting.

So much so, I'm tempted to turn AKB off!!! I've read a warning somewhere not to turn it off "unless you do a proper color calibration" . OK, now my question is how do you perform a manual calibration, if there is no manual G2 adjustment. I dont have a 1292 service manual. If anyone does, and can see the section that explains turning of the AKB, and calibrating the color balance, could they either post the relevant info, or scan the pages and email them to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks Specboy. I'll email Cobra and ask him to check.

I cant believe this is the only 1292 SM around........ these machines must be pretty rare, not many people seem to know them well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.