AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After nearly 4 years of slow progression my theater came close to completion this past weekend. I'll take pictures and post them later. However, back in october i picked up a D50Q which appeared to be in good condition with only faint burning on the green tube. So for 3 months or so (while I got more money together for a mount and a screen) I watched movies on a sheet with the pj on the floor. I never had any problems other than a dark picture from a non reflective "screen".

Here's the problem: I got everything mounted and the picture converged and was up and running for about 2 days then suddenly my blue tube started flaking out. After a few minutes of running the blue will start to flicker than turn off. But, it looks like if i turn on the test patterns the blue displays the patterns. That part may just be coincidence and the tube turns back on just as im selecting a pattern??? Anyhow, I pulled out my DVDO, tried useing the progressive scan output of the DVD player through the RGD input and just tried using the S-video out of the player into the projector and still get the same problem. I do not get any error codes, so what could my problem be? I thought i may be the input card, but would it still act this way if I changed inputs from RGBHV to S-video?

Please give me some insight into possible problems, and tell me it's not going to cost and arm and a leg to fix this:(

Thanks guys!

Alex

PS. if anyone is willing to discuss the problems with me over the phone send me your # and I'd be willing to call you.

Edit: Just ran the internal test patterns for 5 min and found the blue tube was shuting down. Upon closer inspection the blue isn't actually turning completely off, it is just becoming extremly dim....to the point that nothing is visible on the screen. Thanks again for any help!

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
MOst likely a bad CRT neck card. You can try swapping the blue with the green to see if the problem follows. It might also be an intermittent connector somewhere.

I have spare CRT boards if you need one.

Curt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also noticed something else. After pulling off the lenses to inspect the phosphor I turned on the projector to see if the blue tube was acting up. Sure enough after about a min it starts to flicker then pretty much shuts down. After turning off the whole projector I saw an arc come from the center of the green tube and spread outward as it fadded away. Is this a deviation of spot kill circuit going bad? If so, would replaceing the green neck board fix that problem as well?

Curt, can you PM me some prices on the needed parts to repair this? Please and thank you.

Alex

I swaper the CR and CB boards and fired it up. The blue tube is working fine now, and the red tube now has the similar problem. The red is running and is a bit brighter that when the blue had the problem (not sure why) but either way this part needs to be replaced.

So curt, please e-mail me or PM me with a price on a blue neck board and how fast you can get it to greenville SC :) I've got a whole bunch of friends from school who are planning on a super bowl party at my house and I can't let them down.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'm no expert, but in both projectors I've owned the spot kill circuitry is NOT on the neck board, it's a separate circuit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.