Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just chosen a VPH1252 that is on the other side of the country and arranged for the seller to take it to a Sony repair center for a prepurchase inspection. The technician at the repair center has told me that the tubes are wear and burn free (1300 hours only) but that the video image is 'wobbling' due to ripple from the powersupply. The quote to replace and fit the Power Supply is $AUD 2000 ($US 1300) Crazy since that is more than what the projector is worth.

Has anybody encountered this problem with the Sony 12xx sets? I would suspect that a dead capacitor in the Power Supply is to blame and it is over the top to replace the whole power supply.

I guess that this would be easy to fix (I'm an EE) but wanted to check with the experts before handing over the money.

Thanks

Aaron

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anbody?

I have paid for the projector and it is on the way. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I think you are on the right track with it being a capacitor, but dont rule out that it could have been the techs video source, a bad ground, you name it. Ive seen some of the machines that "ripple" at one scan rate but not at others. It can be the machine, video source, again "you name it."

My advise: Wait till you get the machine and see what it does on your sources...

--Kieth

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those that might be interested the projector arrived and was promptly fixed. The main filter capacitor in the Switching Regulator (820uF 400V) was completely dead. Depending on how bright the screen was the inductors in the switching regulator were 'Singing' at 50Hz. It was amazing that it was still running!

Aaron

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Was it a $2000 capacitor? :D

- David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.