AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1272q projector that I picked up cheap at an auction.


It won't power up. You press the power button, the fans kick on and then it turns back off a second later.


I was told that it was probably one of the two large boards directly under the top cover? What are the odds of that? I've got a place where I can get some boards, but I had to spend the money on them if that's not the case.


Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie d pimp
I've got a 1272q projector that I picked up cheap at an auction.


It won't power up. You press the power button, the fans kick on and then it turns back off a second later.


I was told that it was probably one of the two large boards directly under the top cover? What are the odds of that? I've got a place where I can get some boards, but I had to spend the money on them if that's not the case.


Any help would be greatly appreciated!
It could be anything. Are you getting any error codes?


Any relation to Jason Da Game Pimp? :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't even know where to look for error codes? I"m a complete newbie! :)


I hate being ignorant about things!


Thanks in advance for any help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,503 Posts
I can test those boards in a working set for a nominal charge, and I can repair them. You're right, those are most likely the culprit.


The service manual is here. ONe of hte pages shows where the error code LED display is. There's also a chart of what the error codes mean buried in the manual. Let us know what the error is, and we can assist further.

http://www.curtpalme.com/Sony125x.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Hi,


I have a 1272 and also had a 1252 doing something very similar. In both cases, with the lid open (so to see the two 80mm fans), I noticed that when I "turned it on", one fan would spin up fine, while the other would just wiggle a bit but not spin, then the projector would just shut down. I spun the fan with my finger then turned it on again. It came up no problem. Only this was not a total fix. It would only come on a few times before I had to touch the fan again. So, I i lifted the paper cover on the fan and sprayed some deoxit cleaner on the bushing/bearing of the fan and it has run for months no problem. I expect it will stop again someday as I think it is just worn out. :) I think there are many fans around the chassis. I just happened to have issue with a fan on top.


Anyway, that was my 2 cents.


Good luck and best regards / Doug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblack2
Hi,


I have a 1272 and also had a 1252 doing something very similar. In both cases, with the lid open (so to see the two 80mm fans), I noticed that when I "turned it on", one fan would spin up fine, while the other would just wiggle a bit but not spin, then the projector would just shut down. I spun the fan with my finger then turned it on again. It came up no problem. Only this was not a total fix. It would only come on a few times before I had to touch the fan again. So, I i lifted the paper cover on the fan and sprayed some deoxit cleaner on the bushing/bearing of the fan and it has run for months no problem. I expect it will stop again someday as I think it is just worn out. :) I think there are many fans around the chassis. I just happened to have issue with a fan on top.


Anyway, that was my 2 cents.


Good luck and best regards / Doug
The fan that gives the most trouble is the little 20mm fan by the LED window, although very small, it sends air through the large heat sink on the top board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,079 Posts
Will that 40mm fan shut the pj down if it fails? I didn't think it would.


But yes, that fan is trouble. When I had a 1251 I dunked the 40mm fan in oil to stop it whining. Spent 20 minutes cleaning the oil off. (Then sold the pj :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
Will that 40mm fan shut the pj down if it fails? I didn't think it would.


But yes, that fan is trouble. When I had a 1251 I dunked the 40mm fan in oil to stop it whining. Spent 20 minutes cleaning the oil off. (Then sold the pj :) )
Right, 40mm. No, it won't shut it down, but when the heat sink gets hot enough and one of the chips burn out.......then it will shut down.:D


I replace them with, what are "supposed to be", better quality fans. They sure make a lot of noise for the amount of cfm they put out. :rolleyes:
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top