AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Super Scoutmaster from another audiophile and was busy trying to setup the turntable when I tried to use the VPI Alignment Jig. The jig comes in two parts that are joined by two small screws with lock washers on them. One part of the jig fits over the spindle and has the alignment grid on it. The smaller part has a cutout that is supposed to fit against the unipivot container. In my case, with the two parts joined and the cutout part pressed tightly against the other part, the jig could not fit around the spindle and be placed against the unipivot container because the jig was slightly too big. I had to unscrew the cutout part from the jig and use a high speed sander to shave some of the metal off the back of the cutout part before the jig would fit. Now it fits beautifully and I was able to align the cartridge. As an aside, I didn't change anything on the part of the jig that fits around the turntable spindle.

I suppose I must have had a defective jig. Did my modification do anything that would stop me from setting up the table properly?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes this could affect the setup.

While it is certainly possible that the jig is defective, it is even more likely that the arm is mounted slightly too close. They could have drilled the arm hole slightly wrong, or there could be some play and you could loosen the arm and move it out slightly.

Assuming the jig is still accurate, which is hard to understand exactly what you did from the description, you could adjust for the arm being too close by adjusting the cartridge overhang in the opposite direction, which probably what you have done to make things line up. This however is not the optimum solution because it effectively shortens the arm length which decreases the diameter of the arc the cartridges makes over the record, thus increasing distortions caused by the inherent tracking error of the unipivot design. (This is why high end guys uses unipivots with long arms or just go to linear trackers)

My advice would be to get some other guages for comparison so you can figure out whether the guage or your setup is wrong.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I checked with VPI and found that the alignment jig for the JMW 9 standard tonearm is a little different from the alignment jig for the JMW 9 Signature tonearm. The arm I have is the Signature but the jig was for the standard arm. I have returned the old jig I had to VPI for the proper jig.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Caynon /forum/post/15728579

Well, I checked with VPI and found that the alignment jig for the JMW 9 standard tonearm is a little different from the alignment jig for the JMW 9 Signature tonearm. The arm I have is the Signature but the jig was for the standard arm. I have returned the old jig I had to VPI for the proper jig.

Well, that'll do it too! I would have thought since you were not the first owner, someone would have figured by now that you had the wrong jig, but you know what happens when we assume. Better than having to remount the arm.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrypt /forum/post/15742905

Well, that'll do it too! I would have thought since you were not the first owner, someone would have figured by now that you had the wrong jig, but you know what happens when we assume. Better than having to remount the arm.

Yeah, I agree with you. But when I investigated, I found that the original owner had someone else mount the cartridge and that person used the Feickert Alignment Protractor to do it. So a little sleuthing helped to solve this mystery!

·
Registered
765 Posts
Ya, I have the Feickert and the DB Systems so that I can work with any arm. I've never used the VPI arm on my VPI table. I don't think I've had a protractor dedicated to an arm since I had a Rega RB300 almost 25 years ago. My memory isn't that good anymore.

But I know making adjustments to the protractor just couldn't be a good thing, glad you got it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts