AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony VPL-VW100 that I bought about five years ago. My screen is a 65x116 (133" diagonal) original High Power (2.8 gain). I'm looking to upgrade to an RS50.

My main reasons are to get more lumens (I have a mostly light-controlled room but with a screen this large and 1200 hours on the bulb even a little bit of light spill makes it less than ideal) and for 1080p24.

I'm hoping the picture quality is as good or better than the VW100 so I thought I would ask the opinion of a few on the forum. What do you think?

-- Dave

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorgan /forum/post/19599499

I have a Sony VPL-VW100 that I bought about five years ago. My screen is a 65x116 (133" diagonal) original High Power (2.8 gain). I'm looking to upgrade to an RS50.

My main reasons are to get more lumens (I have a mostly light-controlled room but with a screen this large and 1200 hours on the bulb even a little bit of light spill makes it less than ideal) and for 1080p24.

I'm hoping the picture quality is as good or better than the VW100 so I thought I would ask the opinion of a few on the forum. What do you think?

-- Dave

I upgraded from the VW100 to the RS10 over a year ago and I was very pleased with the results. I plan to move to the RS50 this month. I believe you will be very happy with the results. The 2.8 gain screen should help for 3D as well if you are looking to do 3D.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,270 Posts
I went from a Ruby (Sony VPL-VW100) to a Pioneer FPJ1 (JVC RS2 clone) to a JVC RS20. PQ was improved every step of the way. Sadly, the Ruby cost me more than the other two combined. I'm now waiting for the RS40 to show up which should be equal to and probably better than the RS20. As Jason said, you should see a HUGE improvement.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I've actually already pre-ordered an RS50 but was just looking for some "validation" of my decision. Now I just have to be patient and wait like everybody else.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We just upgraded from a vw100 to a jvc rs60 (x9) and it's a significant improvement. I think you're going to be very happy.

A film that I put on earlier that highlights the differences (to me at least) between the dynamic iris contrast style projectors and the jvc style was George Clooney's Good Night and Good Luck. It looked awesome.

Now to work out how to mount the thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.