AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'll take the time to post my impressions regarding the VPL-VW10HT.

I sold my 10HT yesterday after having it for 18 months. I bought the 10HT unseen to replace my 2 years old 400Q, let me tell you this, it is the last time I buy something so expensive with out seeing it first. Reading reviews about it and thinking (logically) that if Sony decided to replace the excellent 400Q, after such a long period of time, this should be a very good projector, I was wrong, well sought of..

Upon opening the 10HT, and calibrating it using Avia I was in for a surprise, a very bad one. The projector's picture was far less enjoyable then my 400Q, you can imagine my reaction. I found the picture to be dull, poor contrast and terrible black level.

But time passed and knowledge owners of this projector (Mr.Muncil,Mr Cushamn and last but certainly not least Steve Smalcombe) came up with a few techniques that, once implemented turned this projector completely around. I'm not referring to small changes, but rather to DRAMATIC overwhelming changes, which made this projector look completely different to the one out of the box, actually you might as well call it 20HT for that matter.

So why did I sell mine? A couple of reasons, first I have the upgrade bug, and nothing lasts more that 2 years in this house (electronic equipment that is) and second I thought that the 10HT was pushed to it's limits and it was time to move forward. It's contrast was greatly improved and black level improved as a result of that, But it was still not quite there.I felt that I need a projector with greater contrast and better Black's.

Nevertheless, I recommend this projector wholeheartedly, in it's price range, and once tweaked you will be hard pressed to find anything that comes close.

As for me I decided to get either the Sharp or the 200DM, if either don't produce a Much better picture then my (was) 10HT, then I will get the 11HT, knowing that it might not produce such a great picture out of the box, But it can be greatly improved..

Just my 2 C.

Ran

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am in the process of having a 10HT installed. Can you tell me what steps you took to improve your experience with that projector?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Hi Ran,

Im in a similar sort of position to yourself. I've had my w400q for nearly four years projected onto a 92" wide tab tensioned Draper 2500. You know, the one with the vertical streaks! Actually its not that bad and the extra brightness produces a stunning picture. I've also reset the polariser plates for best black which has further improved the picture. But now Ive decided to upgrade and after a great deal of research on this and the 'Big Picture' forum, Ive decided to plump for the 11HT with a tab tensioned Stewart greyhawk screen replacement. I also intent to implement the Steve Smalcombe cc30R calibration tweek. My only concern is around possible screen door problems and the dreaded dust issue. My projector is mounted in a ceiling lift that descends up into a cupboard in the upstairs bedroom. Its hellishly dusty in that cavity and I do hope that 11HT's filter is up to snuff.

After reading all about the upcoming DLP projectors I realised that I would probably have to wait until Texas Instuments built the next generation of light engines using the new 'black chip' a 24 bit colour system (whatever that is; I think it is supposed to improve the grey scale by smoothing the stair stepping problem that occurs when using lower bit rates) the 12 degree micro mirror deflection and a more efficient system for neutralising stray light. Good heavans, you could wait forever! Well, I believe a tweeked 11HT will be hard to beat. I should have this system plugged in before christmas and I'll post my impressions then.

Best Wishes

Paul Hayward

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ran,

I am certainly sorry to hear that you are leaving the 10HT club, I have always enjoyed our various exchanges, and I must say it seems a bit funny to be doing this one here, but this is a great forum as well.

In any case, I do understand your issues, in that fully tweaked the 10HT does not have inky black black levels. It's hard to know what does in the fixed panel format projectors at a similar price. From what I have seen, some of the projectors that are supposed to have much better contrast and black levels than the 10 HT do, unless you compare them to the 20HT, as you so kindly call it, and then they are pretty similar.

I certainly would consider the 11HT as it has new panels that use a higher voltage, giving it much better contrast and black levels out of the box. Unfortunately, it seems to be as conservatively setup as the 10HT, meaning that, fortunately, all of the tweaks that you know and love will apply there as well. The main difference is that you are starting from a higher native level of performance in terms of contrast and black level.

I would consider the upgrade myself, except for the price difference and the uncertainty in the whole HD digital copy protection thing. Perhaps I am showing my ignorance here, but until that is resolved, I'll stick with my 10HT.

Steve

------------------

Steve Smallcombe

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve,

Thank you for your reply. I must say that if it wasn't for your wonderful ideas I would have sold my 10HT long before, But your ideas (and others) have certainly made this projector shine!

Your comments on the 11HT, were my exact thoughts, it will give me a much higher base ground to work with, that's unless I'll be satisfied with the new Sharp and purchase it instead.

I hope that when you do decide to upgrade, will still have a bunch of stuff to talk about.

I will be sure to post a proper goodbye where it all started.

Thank you

Ran

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
Hi Steve,

Have you, or thought about, trying your hand at the Sanyo PLV60? It starts with much higher contrast than the VW10HT, and can be gotten now for less than $5K.

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yes, I am working with some of the Sanyo owners to get SMART for the Sanyo released. It's a bit too soon to say, but from what I have seen so far, it's very similar to a SMART/CC filter tweaked 10HT in terms of contrast, etc. SMART does really seem to help the Sanyo as well as the 10HT, but since the Sanyo's LCD pannels are better color balanced out of the box, the CC filter tweak that really boosts the green contrast ratio on the 10Ht is not as useful, if at all.

Steve

------------------

Steve Smallcombe

·
Registered
853 Posts
Good Luck Ran! I took the plunge and got the DWIN Transvision from the guys at AV. The Sharp will be your answer after what I heard.

Grace and Peace

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
Steve,

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying that a tweaked Sanyo isn't a lot better than a tweaked 10HT, right? And that a tweaked 11HT will be?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.