AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VPL-VW12HT owners... Help me, please!!!!

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  greggz 
#1 ·
Hi to all,

I am considering this projector but I have a doubt... I would want to know if the internal DRC deinterlacer of this projector is compatible with Pal sources. I heard that this is not compatible for Progresive Pal but I would want to know if it is compatible with Normal Pal(no Progresive). Could anyone confirm this, please?

I heard too that the deinterlacer of the HS10 is compatible... Is it true??

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have another doubt... I heard that the 11HT and the 12HT are "identical" estetically... How could I know if the supplied projector is really the 12HT and no the 11HT? How could I get sure?

Thanks and sorry for the stupid question...

#3 ·
I have heard that the de-interlacing of PAL DVD's (and also NTSC?) on the VW12 has some hiccups. Apparantly it will not do as good a job as DCDi or similar chipsets will.

Making sure that you get the VW12 instead of the VW11 should be the smallest problem. They may look identical, but the labels and badges will tell you.

#4 ·
Thanks Nilsson.

A curiosity, When you switched on the projector, is the demo or the presentation of the VW12HT the same than the 11HT or 10HT?

Best regards!

#5 ·
josu,

10ht has screen door, 12ht has much better contrast than 11ht, so their difference are huge and easy to see by your bare eyes. I think 12ht is slightly better than z10000 and much better than z9000, I have compared them several times (not side by side) and finally go for the 12ht.

12ht comes with a cinema filter and new dust filters, there is no openning logo in these 3 models(at least I have never seen it)

nillson,

glad to see a shanghainese here, I am too. so how is projector and hd market in sh?

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by winston.wang
josu,

10ht has screen door, 12ht has much better contrast than 11ht, so their difference are huge and easy to see by your bare eyes.
I have not seen a 12HT. I have had a 10HT for 3 years. It has the SMART II on it and it is on bulb #2. I do not see ANY screen door from 1X away. It is projecting on a Stewart StudioTek 130 at 94" 16:9. For some reason people think there are these huge holes in the LCD projection and it just is not so. The newer LCD's and DLP's are improving every year. However, a well set up 10HT provides a beautiful image for both SD and HD signals.

I do like the SD better though my Iscan Ultra though..:D That Sony DRC is not nearly as good as it is advertised.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by winston.wang
josu,

10ht has screen door, 12ht has much better contrast than 11ht, so their difference are huge and easy to see by your bare eyes. I think 12ht is slightly better than z10000 and much better than z9000, I have compared them several times (not side by side) and finally go for the 12ht.

12ht comes with a cinema filter and new dust filters, there is no openning logo in these 3 models(at least I have never seen it)

nillson,

glad to see a shanghainese here, I am too. so how is projector and hd market in sh?
Really? then I must have set the one I had up wrong... I compared these three projectors in my store and the 12HT came out as the clear looser over the Z9000 and the z10k comming out on the top of the heap. Any pointers for the next time I set one of these up? There was almost no depth to the color of the 12ht, and the screendoor was very aparant at 15' viewing distance to the point that it bugged me.

#8 ·
Quote:
Josu: I am considering this projector but I have a doubt... I would want to know if the internal DRC deinterlacer of this projector is compatible with Pal sources. I heard that this is not compatible for Progresive Pal but I would want to know if it is compatible with Normal Pal(no Progresive). Could anyone confirm this, please?
Still undecided :D

I've talked to one home cinema store here in germany (a PAL country) they have the VW12 in the demo.

I especially asked for PAL and DRC and if they are compatible.

The sales person who made a pretty competent impression told me, they didn't expierenced any problems with PAL.

He also said at the current price level, you will have a hard time to finding a better picture.

The next better machine that he sells is about the double of the price (High End DLP models such as Marantz VP12S2).

Other intersting comment was about the screendoor, I said I would like to use a approx. 7ft wide screen from about 11.5ft.

He said that wouldn't be a problem, so I hope he is right ;)

Regards HCEnthusiast

#9 ·
If you think 10000 is better, it's possible, anyway their PQ are close. However, if you say 9000 is also better than 12ht, I disagree. I will say your 12ht probably didn't get setup right. Remember it's 3 chips thing, so gray scale and 3d gamma is pain in the a**, but once you get these thing right, just look at it's life like color, 9000 is no where to compete...when I say 12ht is even better than 10000, I understand 10000 has slightly better black and contrast, but it has no color, personally, I have never seen any single chip dlp pj does pure red right at all..

Quote:
Originally posted by hakwuzhere
Really? then I must have set the one I had up wrong... I compared these three projectors in my store and the 12HT came out as the clear looser over the Z9000 and the z10k comming out on the top of the heap. Any pointers for the next time I set one of these up? There was almost no depth to the color of the 12ht, and the screendoor was very aparant at 15' viewing distance to the point that it bugged me.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by josu
Hif the internal DRC deinterlacer of this projector is compatible with Pal sources. I heard that this is not compatible for Progresive Pal but I would want to know if it is compatible with Normal Pal(no Progresive). Could anyone confirm this, please?
It's fine. The internal deinterlacer is surprisingly good (better than say the one Sony uses in their Projection TVs)

Sure DCDi is better, but not so much that you notice immediatly if you accidently forget to turn on progressive on your dvd player. The projector also does accept PAL progressive.

#11 ·
Thanks a lot to all for the help.

Yes HCEnthusiast, still:D :D. I am desesperating...

Finally, do you see the 12HT and the AE300 in action?

I think this Pal confusion could be because on the 12HTs PDF is possible to read that the DRC technology is only applicable for NTSC.:confused: :confused: I do not understand... Some people is saying that this is not compatible and others are saying that yes is compatible:confused:. Could be that the available PDF from internet is about the USA version of this projector?? Could be that the Europe version is compatible and that USA version no??:confused:

Best regards!:)

#13 ·
Guys,

I've finally ordered a 12HT. Although I only had a chance to see the 11HT. Thanks for all the information that you provided for my decision making.

The dealer gives me a 14 days of return period. So if I'm totally disapointed then I can send the unit back.

Currently there are two big questions that I have

1.) How pronounced will be the screendoor and is it possible to minimize the sd with defocusing without compromising the picture detail too much.

2.) How deep is the picture impression (contrast ratio and black levels)

So let's see what happens :)

Regards HCEnthusiast

#14 ·
The 12HT has MLA (Micro Lens Array) which really reduces the screen door compared to the 10HT and 11HT, and neither one of those was a problem at anything beyond 1x away.

To get the most out of your 12HT, consider using SMART . When used in conjunction with a CC filter, it will make a big difference in color balance, blacks and contrast levels.

#15 ·
When the unit arrives I'll first do some quick tests.

I also will later on try out if the picture can be improved by using a HTPC instead of a DVD player.

Steve13: I thought the VW12 has a filter delivered. What is the difference between the filter that you are refering to and the VW12 filter?

And did you had a chance to use SMART with the VW 12, if yes did you see a significant picture quality improvement over the Sony filter.

#16 ·
You will be pleasantly surprised with the 12 HT, try tweaking it with the Avia DVD first, if not 100% pleased go for the Smart III.No scrrendoor at 1x,great colors,good blacks and contrast.For the current price it is a great buy.

#17 ·
Quote:
You will be pleasantly surprised with the 12 HT, try tweaking it with the Avia DVD first, if not 100% pleased go for the Smart III.No scrrendoor at 1x,great colors,good blacks and contrast.For the current price it is a great buy.You will be pleasantly surprised with the 12 HT, try tweaking it with the Avia DVD first, if not 100% pleased go for the Smart III.No scrrendoor at 1x,great colors,good blacks and contrast.For the current price it is a great buy.
Hope you are right :D

When I looked for a projector last year I saw many projectors, but I only really liked the picutre of the VW11.

My local dealer suggested to have a look at the new Sharp 10K in his store. But I rejected his offer :D . Even if the picture is better it would cost me more than double of the VW12 price.

The dealer where I'm buying my VW12 suggested to use a HTPC, because of the high panel resolution, but I'm not sure if it is really worth it.

Does someone have compared a HTPC to a progressive scan player with the VW12 or VW11?

Regards HCEnthusiast

#18 ·
Hi HCEnthusiast,

Congratulations for your purchase. Surely, I will order a 12HT too.

Finally, do you see the AE300 in action?

Which are your impressions about this projector versus the 11HT that you saw?

Thanks!

#19 ·
I had only a brief chance to see the AE300.

And my impression in short where.

That the AE300 is a huge value for the money. The picture had a TV like look to me, I guess because of the relativ high contrast ratio.

The smoothscreen technology is IMHO a real winner. Unbelievable to see that thre was practically no screendoor even if you where right up to the screen. So much for positive, but there is always a BUT :D

And in this case the "but" was for me that one of the first things that pop up to me where the visible pixelation. There was no screendoor for me, but you could clearly see the pixel structure of the picture. I think this was because of the low pixel count.

The other thing was the bad track record of the AE100 regarding reliability. I to be honest I was afraid of dust blobs, dead pixels, miscolorations and in general a lack of product quality.

Maybe there is no issue with the AE300, but there would always be this bad feeling.

Compared to the VW11 that I saw, the Sony had a very smooth and at the same time detailed picture. But in terms of screendoor I don't expect the VW11/VW12 no where near the AE300. In a couple of weeks I will know it

:cool:

BTW waiting for a new projector is really hell :)

Regards HCEnthusiast

#20 ·
Hi HCEnthusiast,

I'm really looking forward for your experiences with the VW12HT, as it is (together with the Panny AE300 and the Yamaha LPX-500) on my short list also.

I have not yet seen the Panny, but if I think of it as a Z1 minus screendoor, I fear that the visible pixels will disturb me, too.

Until now I have only seen one LCD I really liked - the Sanyo PLV 70, which has the same resolution as the VW12HT, but is much more expensive. So maybe the VW12HT is worth it, even if you have to buy an external deinterlacer.

But at the moment I also consider of simply waiting another year until a cheaper DILA arrives or maybe the mythological Sony SXRD technology.

So please keep us posted!

Bye,

Guenther

#21 ·
Hi Guenther,

I will post my expierences with the unit, when I receive it (could take several weeks).

I also asked the dealer for the LPX-500, but the prices where always around 4700 euros or so.

Thats not my price level. The figures of the SXRD technology indicate that it will be significantly higher priced than the current VW 12 price level.

Or at least if SXRD is able to deliver what it's technology is promising, Sony could easly sell it at the current high end DLP price level.

I also had a chance to demo the Z1, although it's a fine unit it had to much screen door for my taste. The best image that I saw from a entry level projector was the Sharp Z90 btw., but in IMHO the VW 11 was better.

Regards HCEnthusiast

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by HCEnthusiast

I also had a chance to demo the Z1, although it's a fine unit it had to much screen door for my taste. The best image that I saw from a entry level projector was the Sharp Z90 btw., but in IMHO the VW 11 was better.
Now you really got me worried, because I had exactly the same impressions about Z1 and Z90 (Z91 - but got a headache after some time).

I can only hope that I do not share your dislike of the Panny AE300 also ;) beacuse it probably will really take years for DILA/SXRD to reach affordable price levels.

Bye,

Guenther

#23 ·
Hi Guenther,

I don't want to destroy your illusions :D, but don't expect the AE300 to outperform the Z90 in the overall

picture quality.

And in IMHO I don't think that either of the above machines can stand against the Sony VW11 or the higher priced

DLP models. My initial thought was that at the higher resolution is very obvious in picture detail.

As I said SXRD is not an option for me, because I expect Sony to fill the gap that the VW12 model will leave.

It would fit perfectly in the scenario, to replace the VW12 with some SXRD machine, because the

HS10 and the VW12 came to close in picture performance and the VW12 was IMHO overpriced compared to the high end DLP models.

Regards HCEnthusiast

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve13
The 12HT has MLA (Micro Lens Array) which really reduces the screen door compared to the 10HT and 11HT, and neither one of those was a problem at anything beyond 1x away.
I have owned a 11HT for a year. I had the chance to see a 12HT a week ago and during the test screening I also had the chance to study the screen door of the 12HT at close distance. Based on my knowledge with 11HT I am totally convinced that the 12HT does not have MLA. Pixels are as visible as they are on the 11HT. Prove me wrong if you can but I am 100% convinced that 12HT is a 100% identical unit to the 11HT. Only difference is that 12HT ships with a color filter and a program on CD-Rom which ables users to mess up their 3D Gamma settings faster. Oh - and of course Sony has changed the "11HT" text to "12HT" on the package label ;)

I believe that the hole "12HT has MLA" stuff started from a rumour here in AVS and has then evolved into a false fact.

Naturally I might be wrong... Does anybody know the truth?

Jouni

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jouni
I have owned a 11HT for a year. I had the chance to see a 12HT a week ago and during the test screening I also had the chance to study the screen door of the 12HT at close distance. Based on my knowledge with 11HT I am totally convinced that the 12HT does not have MLA. Pixels are as visible as they are on the 11HT. Prove me wrong if you can but I am 100% convinced that 12HT is a 100% identical unit to the 11HT. Only difference is that 12HT ships with a color filter and a program on CD-Rom which ables users to mess up their 3D Gamma settings faster. Oh - and of course Sony has changed the "11HT" text to "12HT" on the package label ;)

I believe that the hole "12HT has MLA" stuff started from a rumour here in AVS and has then evolved into a false fact.

Naturally I might be wrong... Does anybody know the truth?

Jouni
Hi Jouni,

What do you think about the contrast ratio between these two models? Is not appreciable any difference on this aspect either?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.