AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question for any one who has a second to answer.

I have a 100" diagonal 4:3 screen, and I am interesed in purchasing a Pearl.

My question is what would be the best way to set up my system to achieve full

screen on 4:3 material, and letterboxed 16:9 taking the full width of the screen, given that this projector is 16:9? Furthermore my throw distance would be 20'

feet, would that be a good distance given the screen that I have? I know it's a little out of the range given, but just soliciting some real world experience.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 92" 16:9 screen and my Pearl is about 16.5" back, this is max. throw. Your available 16:9 area in your 4:3 screen is probably close to mine. I don't think you'll be able to go back 20' with widescreen material. Hopefully someone else with better knowledge of the dark hallways of this site will post a link to the throw specs of the Pearl.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
being that its a 4x3 screen and a 16x9 projector, I would imagine that if you intend to use the projector for both aspect ratios, then you are going to need to figure out what is the biggest 16x9 image that will fit that screen. Being that your screen is 60x80, that means the biggest 16x9 image will be 45x80. The 4x3 image will then be smaller than that.

If you make the 4x3 image your 60x80, then when you make the image 16x9, then the 16x9 image would be bigger than your screen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bad idea...If you decide to keep the 4:3 screen, I think you will be happier with making a 45x80 image and then let the projector display a normal 4:3 image with 45 inch height and black borders on the sides. I had a 4:3 screen and changed it to 16:9 and was a lot happier with the 4:3 material. The more you blow up non HD 4:3 material, poor quality SD source material becomes more visible and annoying.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.