AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Trying to understand the available throw distance for the projector: I find some specs which state 1:38 to 2:83 throw with zoom of 2.07. I am looking at a curved 156" diag Cine-W screen and want to place the projector at approximately 31.5 feet at the back of the room about 17" lens center from the top edge of the viewable screen. I have read the manual and find that the distances calculate out as per below which should put me at the end of the range or just over for the 17:9 format. Using the 2:83:1 throw x screen width of 143,5", the distance is 33.84'" but close to the below. I have been given information that the projector will be ok in the 2.35 mode but unable to fit the image with the screen (61" tall) for the other images. I am confused between what is published in the manual on distance calculations (no throw listed in the manual) and the zoom of 2.07 for if you only use the zoom ratio the maximum distance is 24.63'. New to the projector area so need some help!

Calculate Projector Distance Max/Min
  Screen Size Diagonal inches2,361,15
Screen Format156MaxMin
17:91:90:1Inches368,06179,05
  Feet30,6714,92
Screen Format156MaxMin
16:91:78:1Inches386,93188,28
  Feet32,2415,69
Screen Format156MaxMin
2.35:1 Inches382,95186,33
  Feet31,9115,53

·
Registered
32,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverCs  /t/1522486/vpl-vw600es-throw-distan...pproximately-31-5-feet-question#post_24480837

Trying to understand the available throw distance for the projector: I find some specs which state 1:38 to 2:83 throw with zoom of 2.07. I am looking at a curved 156" diag Cine-W screen and want to place the projector at approximately 31.5 feet at the back of the room about 17" lens center from the top edge of the viewable screen. I have read the manual and find that the distances calculate out as per below which should put me at the end of the range or just over for the 17:9 format. Using the 2:83:1 throw x screen width of 143,5", the distance is 33.84'" but close to the below. I have been given information that the projector will be ok in the 2.35 mode but unable to fit the image with the screen (61" tall) for the other images. I am confused between what is published in the manual on distance calculations (no throw listed in the manual) and the zoom of 2.07 for if you only use the zoom ratio the maximum distance is 24.63'. New to the projector area so need some help!

I am assuming your screen has an aspect ratio of 2.35 since you do not list what it is. If that is the case, then your screen height is around 66" high. The VW600 can't shoot an image height of only 66" from 31'-5". It just can't go that small. The max throw distance would be around 27'-7.5". To be able to hit the 16:9 image and the 2.35 image on your 156" diagonal (assumed 2.35) screen, using the zoom method, you would need to mount between 17' and 27'-7.5".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the quick comment on my post.   Correct, I am looking at a CW156SFHG4WX CineW  Image Size: 61in x 143.5in (156in diag.) Aspect Ratio 2.35:1.   What I am confused about is why the formulas in the Sony Operating Instruction Manual I found on the internet provide other distances for this format when calculated.   Can you elaborate on how you arrived at your estiamate of max throw distance would be around 27'-7.5" and the min at 17'?  If this projector won't make the distance, what would you suggest?  

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Others aspects of this question are intuitively obvious and the answers available in various published reviews easily available on the internet. Because of the obvious intelligence of the TO and his cleaver and subtle multiple simultaneous postings of the same question, I will only post a little hint for him. For 1.78 source material, one normally selects the normal aspect on the Sony which will light only the 1.78 width of the chip instead of the full 1.89 chip width. This is to avoid the chip not being able to project the full picture height and lopping off the top and bottom a little bit. When projecting 1.89 source material and above, the full chip width may be used and the full chip width lit . If the full chip width is used, the throw limits change slightly at both ends. The long throw limit is less and the short throw distance limit is more. This is because the full width lit image is larger coming out of the lens than the 1.78 lit image at the same throws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

As I am a new user to forums, after posting once on the Sony Official Thread, I understood I needed to start a thread with my particular question and made an additional post to avoid the general mix, so asking for some slack.   Stay with me please.     I do belive I understand your comment and it is obvious that at different source materials the image is larger for anything above 1.78.   What I dont understand is why the Sony manual provides exact calcuations for each format with your screen diagonal and achieve the distance that I need.    I am in the process of finishing the design of a new home and tryaing to accomodate the large family room (25x30) as dual purpose.  I have put everything in SketchUp, calculted all view angles, exact speaker locations for best sound , distances, etc but I am stuck on trying to accomodate this projector without having to put a drop down in my 12' ceiling and trying to make a fur-down over the bar at the back of the room to achieve the horizontal shift required (I have that resolved).   All the reviews on this projector that I have been able to find, donot address throw and aspect ratios and if one exists, I would appreciate a link.  All I have found is max throw =screen width times projector throw.     I have found a Sony spec on a sales sheet that lists the throw as 2:83 (doesn't talk about aspect ratio) and again I refer to the Sony manual for the projector providing the formula to calculate throw.    I am just not satisfied until I can see some data that allows me to calculate the throw and understand it for my application.    Maybe I need "Projectors for Dummies"   but if it is so simple, someone please explain it to me.    I am overseas but will be glad to call anyone willing to help for further clarification to make this process more efficient if needed.    Thanks in advance   

·
Registered
32,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverCs  /t/1522486/vpl-vw600es-throw-distan...pproximately-31-5-feet-question#post_24481165

Thanks for the quick comment on my post.   Correct, I am looking at a CW156SFHG4WX CineW  Image Size: 61in x 143.5in (156in diag.) Aspect Ratio 2.35:1.   What I am confused about is why the formulas in the Sony Operating Instruction Manual I found on the internet provide other distances for this format when calculated.   Can you elaborate on how you arrived at your estiamate of max throw distance would be around 27'-7.5" and the min at 17'?  If this projector won't make the distance, what would you suggest?  

I mistakenly looked at 156" wide rather than 156" diagonal. So the throw is even less. The limiting factor in max throw is the projectors ability to throw a 61" high 16:9 image. I am using the 1.78 chart for 1.78 material. Don't want to introduce any scaling. The max throw is 25'-7.21" . Use the forula:

L=2.490916 x D-1.6545 D is the 16:9 diagonal of your screen.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Obviously if you set the aspect on the sony to 2.35 rather than 1.78, the full chip width will be illuminated.Tthis means when zooming down at long throw to not overfill the screen, your limit becomes closer to the screen than if the chip was only lit to its 1.78 width. for illustrative purposes we can assume a 2.35 source frame displayed with the chip lit to 1.78 and one lit to 1.89. Since at 1.78, the exit image is smaller, you can move a little further away and not overfill the screen. Remember the longer the throw, the larger the projected image and the zoom is used to make the image smaller, not larger. At close throw, the zoom is used normally to make the image wider. At close throw the issue is can you make the image wide enough. Holding things constant. you can make the image wider by switching to 2.35 from 1,78 but the cost is cutting off the image top and bottom. Its off the chip. At long throw, the issue is reversed.at longest throw, the wide or short throw lens position will make a wide image with the 2.35 chip lit being the widest. the lens is normally zoomed out to decrease the image size to make it fit and the 1.78 lit width will be smaller at the same throw as the 2.35 lit image if the aspect is switched to light the 1.89 maximum chip width. Sony has an interactive lens throw calculator for the 1000ES Perhaps Mike will attach it to a PM to you. I have it some place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5  /t/1522486/vpl-vw600es-throw-distan...pproximately-31-5-feet-question#post_24481506

I mistakenly looked at 156" wide rather than 156" diagonal. So the throw is even less. The limiting factor in max throw is the projectors ability to throw a 61" high 16:9 image. I am using the 1.78 chart for 1.78 material. Don't want to introduce any scaling. The max throw is 25'-7.21" . Use the forula:

L=2.490916 x D-1.6545 D is the 16:9 diagonal of your screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help on this. I was missing the fact that I needed to use the diagonal in the formula for the 1.78 ratio with the height held constant. I added calcs to my spreadsheet for all ratios so I can change screen size with automatic update. Thanks also for help on the phone and will be contacting you when its time to purchase.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts