AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once you own a projector it seems like you are constantly on the lookout for the next machine. For me when I replace my 400Q (just over 2 years old), I want to see a dramatic and clearly noticeable improvement. This way, I will upgrade every 2'nd or 3'rd generation, rather than every time a technology improvement becomes available. I recently auditioned a PLV-60, and while I was impressed I don't think the improvement was dramatic enough to part with the 400Q just yet.

So I was wondering what fellow 400Q owners switched to and what were the deciding factors that got you to upgrade. I am also interested in hearing from those of you who are about to upgrade.

------------------

Kerry

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had my 400Q for more than three years and I agree with you 100%. My biggest concern is that I get not just something, but lots of improvement when I upgrade. My complaints about the 400Q are brightness (I have an 87 inch wide screen), black levels and some scan lines that show even in 1080i and HTPC. When I look at new projectors, I get scared by comments of visible pixels. I'd hate to go backwards from the 400Q to gain other things. When I do upgrade, I want to go to a wider screen (about 120 inches) so I can really tell the differences. The G15 looks like a good choice, except for the bulbs. The Sharp looks promising. There's too much going on right now to make a decision. It appears that you, like me, are concerned that an upgrade may not upgrade everything when compared to the good ol' 400Q.

Chuck Davis

·
Registered
40 Posts
Kerry,

I used to own a 400Q before getting rid of it and used the money to buy a LT150. The main improvements I am seeing from the LT150 are:

- Brighter

- Sharper

- Much better contrast

- Portability

I do miss the 16:9 native panel offered by the 400Q, and also a rainbow free picture, but ultimately I prefer the picture more on the LT150 (minus the rainbows). And my 400Q was almost 4 years old before I sold it, and technology changes a lot since then....

-John

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've had mine for almost 4 years. Problem is the 400Q is so damn good at what it does, considering its age, makes it all the more difficult to find a better projector worth spending the extra money on.

Here's what I've come up with so far with the projectors I've seen. These comments are made in comparison to the 400Q's picture quality, which I've become accustomed to.

10HT, nice and bright and very quiet but not much of a difference in picture quality, screendoor not noticeable, problems with dust and bad pixels, short lense throw could be a problem.

HT200DM, great black level and contrast but very noticeable pixelation with a processed digital look to the image, halo, dust free.

Cheaper DLPs have rainbows and are all 4:3 panels.

CRTs look great but are just too big and expensive.

At the moment it for me it looks to be the Sharp Z9000 that I will be getting as it appears to be the most promising, as long as the price turns out to be decent.

The DLP market looks to be maturing now for HT and I can't see any future in LCD. After seeing the black level on the 200DM and seeing what a huge difference it makes to the picture quality, there is no going back to LCD.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Quote:
10HT, nice and bright and very quiet but not much of a difference in picture quality...
Have you seen HD on the 10HT???

It is jaw-droppingly amazing.

Having said that, I'm naturally with the rest of you waiting to see what happens when this Sharp 9000 really hits the street. I can't wait to click my grubby little mouse on some screen pics and read some "in home" reviews!!!

-dave

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,143 Posts
I'm a 400Q owner for 2 years. I watch the projector trends like everyone else and have come to the conclusion until the copy protection debates are ironed out and firewire or whatever type of connection is going to be needed on a projector to connect an HDTV DSS receiver (capable of dealing with the upcoming copy protection of HDTV programming) are included with the projector then I'm in a waiting mode.

I'd hate to pay $7K+ on a projector only to find out very soon I won't be able to watch most HDTV programming on it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I also enjoy my 400Q, I've had mine a little more than 3 years now and I'll probably be replacing the bulb in the next 300 hours or so. I also want to see a projector that has a major improvement factor in all areas. The new DLP's sound very impressive (tempting) right now but, I think I'm going to hold off a couple more years. I'd like to see a DLP with the HD2 chip that rotates 12 degrees instead of the current 10. this chip should further enhance blacks and along with the newly developed Archimedes color wheel which is suppossed to make single chip DLPs more competitive with 3 chip designs. It's coming, the question is can you wait that long?......

Take care.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I owned a 400Q for about 2 - 3 years (bought one of the early units). I traded it in on a D-ila G-11 last year (I actually have 2 D-ila G11s now, having bought a second one late last, when I found out it had been discontinued, for a master bedroom home theater system I was planning for my remodeled house).

Advantages are:

Brightness

Better Blacks than 400Q

Less screen door effect (almost non-existent)

Easy to use with HTPC, which gives an awesome picture, using the HTPC as a scaler to match the pixel pattern of the projector

HDTV is very impressive, but to be fair, I have never seen HDTV on a 400Q, so I cannot compare.

My whole family commented when I bought the first projector that the improvement in picture quality was substantial.

Of course, since the D-ila G11 is no longer available at around $7000 or so, and the G15 costs about twice that, my decision was considerably easier than it would be now - is the price/performance curve justified? I would have to think hard about that. Of course, there may be some used D-ila G11s floating around, maybe??? If so, that would get the decision back in the "easy to make" realm, at least for me.

Good luck!

Marcel

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hello all

I have had my 400Q for almost 2 years. I have used it in conjunction with a HTPC for 13 months. After recently installing a new Radeon LE video card I have staved off the up grade bug once again. I am in the same boat as the rest of you. I will wait until something like the Sharp Z9000 comes down in price. And I can save up the money for a new projector. With almost 14 months of warranty left on my 400Q I think it makes good since to hang on to it. After all I do love the picture but always wonder if it can be better or should I say can I afford better! I first owned a Sharp H37UA LCD and the Sony was a vast improvement over it. When I do upgrade I will be looking for the best bang for the buck . John http://www.members.home.net/john777/hometheater.html

[This message has been edited by johnathan (edited 09-18-2001).]

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Same here. I had once considered upgrading to the 10HT, that is until I saw one side by side with my 400Q. As for HDTV material, the 400Q would surprise you.

Right now I thinking the Sharp looks interesting and may buy one once the price comes down. But I too am looking for a significant level of improvement.

Anthony

·
Registered
254 Posts
I had my 400Q for 2 1/2 years and just sold it after upgrading to a G70 for less than a used DILA. I am a CRT convert for blacks. The DILAs are really nice digital displays but the G70 looks much better for movies and reasonable for high resolution PC desktop/graphics, just not quite the pixel perfection of fixed panel displays.

Chuck Anstey

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've had my 400q for just over 3 years and am still mighty impressed with it. In fact, I feel as if I have already upgraded several times, even though it is still the same projector.

One year ago, I sent my projector in to Sony to have a burnt polarizer plate replaced. The technician who worked on my projector was nice enough to perform a precise alignment of the polarizer plates as well. When I received my "repaired" projector back, the improvement in the image was astounding, with obvious improvements in contrast level and color saturation, as well as black level.

About 6 months ago, I acquired a model 6000 hdtv satellite receiver and viewed HDTV on my 400q for the first time. My jaw dropped when I saw 1080i on my 400q and I still can't believe how outstanding hdtv looks on the old 400q. In fact, in comparison, DVD's started looking real washed out and soft.

About 2 months ago, I upgraded to an HDTV with a Radeon card. Now dvd's look almost as good as HDTV. Absolutely incredible.

So, in my case, I'v just reached the pinnacle of image quality with my vpl-w400q and the patina may not wear off for quite some time.

The only glaring deficiency that I can see at this time is a bulb that dims over time and needs to be replaced because of this approximately every 1000 hrs. At $350 per bulb, this is a real liability. The newer projectors all use UHP bulbs which supposedly do not dim over time, but still need to be replaced just as frequently. These bulbs also seem to be even more expensive than the Metal Halide bulb in my 400q.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Paul,

I found your post interesting. I also have a Model 6000 receiver - the 1080i image is indeed impressive. I watched last years Superbowl on the system.

Can you provide a little more details on your HTPC configuration and how tough it was to make it work properly with the 400Q. Also, what is your remote control solution? I currently have a Pronto, and if I made the move to an HTPC, I would like be able to use it.

My current DVD player is a Toshiba 3109, and if I ever switch projectors then I would need to get something with Progressive Scan capability. Maybe an HTPC would let me improve the 400Q image and be ready for the next projector at the same time.

------------------

Kerry

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Well I enjoy so much my W400Q that I don't see myslef upgrading for some time. I am still getting my HTPC project so things can only get better. I demoed some DLPs like the LT150 and 2 LCDs (10HT) before deciding for the W400Q. Obviously LCDs aren't getting anywhere and DLPs seem to be future's best technology but at this time I just can't deal with the rainbow effect. So while I wait for DLPs to get where I want, I am going to stay with the W400 since at present time no economically feasible upgrade is worth it at least in my case.

I think that, as someone said, is so good at what it does that its hard to get something that works better in all aspects at my price range.

PS Why do I a have to type my name and passwaord all the time in order to post? I don't get the option remember my name and pword.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Paul,

Thanks for your e-mail offer. I am looking forward to seeing it.

------------------

Kerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
I purchased my 400Q in Dec.98 and with 3 months left on the warranty, the unit still continues to impress me. I've added a GeForce based HTPC and the 960x540 resolution our "keeper" needs makes for a great progressive scan dvd presentation. Now with 4 HDTV stations in my area and a 5th one in November, I just am not excited about any of the technology I would consider as a replacement. Sure it has it's issues; 400 Lumens, blacks etc., but it still is a PJ that was way ahead of it's time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
KThacher,

Oddly enough, the dvd player that I replaced with my HTPC was also a toshiba 3109. I was not exagerating when I said that DVD's now look almost as good as HDTV. I will send you a detailed e-mail with the relevant info for this project.

BTW: I'm using an RF wireless keyboard.

Tom Campbell,

I'm using 856 X 480 resolution for everything which produces an exact fitting image with no overscan. Have you tried this resolution? Is there any advantage to using 960 X 540 instead?

[This message has been edited by Paul K (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
"Oddly enough, the dvd player that I replaced with my HTPC was also a toshiba 3109."

Well the player I'll be replacing with my soon-to-be HTPC is also the Toshiba SD3109! I guess both the 400Q and 3109 were big sellers.

Can you send me the email too?

Regards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Paul K:

I'm not exactly sure how you are getting 848x480 to work properly. The 400Q recognizes 540p as an acceptable HDTV input and upconverts it to 1080i (540x2), this of course is a custom resolution which requires Powerstrip or the equivelant. Set INPUT-A to HDTV Conponent or RGB depending on your output and you should see 33.7 KHz as your fH-this is the correct HDTV horizontal frequency.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Do you get any improvement by using a HTPC with S-video output? I've been meaning to try it but it will take some hard work so I want to know if someone already did it. I have my 400Q with the Toshiba 3109 via Component so I am guessing that and HTPC via s-video shouldn't be better but anyway...any special resolution I need?

PS Is nice to see a W400Q thread hanging around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.