AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question that popped into my head. I don't have a VP yet, so I can't test myself.

Just wondered if anyone with a quality VP and a 768p display, have tested these scenarios:

1. 1080p material output to 720p/1080i, deinterlaced(if 1080i) and scaled to 768p by display (no use from VP)

2. 1080p output as 720p from player, scaled by VP to 768p

3. 1080p scaled by VP directly to 768p

Of course it will matter how good the VP is, but given that it's a decent VP, what option would be more ideal? I have a 768p display that is a few years old, and it's scaling is not the best.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Option (3) is ideal of course. The source material in only scaled once - in the externel VP. No scaling on the player's side and no scaling in the display.

If you you have or buy a current videoprocessor (VP50/Pro, Radiance, CII) you can also use 1080i from the player. The VP should be able reconstruct the original filmframes without any loss.

If going into the display via 1080i you risk loosing information depending on the deinterlacing functions of the displays. If your display is older is might not have any filmmode for HD material, so would eventually loose half the vertical resolution (1080 vs. 540 lines) which would then be upscaled to 768 lines of resolution.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/14231240

...what option would be more ideal?

Whatever one looks best

#0 - 1080p output from source to display at 768p (some displays can do this, most cannot) - might be just as good as #3

#1a (1080p to 1080i) - might be just as good or better than an outboard scaler, if the display will not accept 768p. Or not, depends on the scaler AND de-interlacer in the display.

#1b (1080p to 720p) - might be just as good or better than an outboard scaler, (where display will not accept 768p, and display de-interlacer sucks, but display scaler is not too bad) - might look ok.

#2 - sounds bad - why introduce double scaling when one scaling operation is all that is needed?

#3 - Theoretically would be the "best" in a perfect world (assumes outboard scaler is superior to display scaler and display accepts 768p).

One of the problems with 768p displays is that many of them will not accept 768p via DVI/HDMI and some won't accept it over component either (and if it will only accept via component, then you can run into HDCP issues). Without a 1:1 pixel mapping, you lose image quality from an outboard scaler.

You say the scaling of the display is "not the best", but it is the scaling that is so-so, the de-interlacing, or both? On some displays the scaling is actually not too bad, but the de-interlacing sucks. If that is the case (de-interlacing is poor) then 1080i would be the one thing you would want to avoid.

Of course, there are many things that VP's do better than displays other than scaling/de-interlacing. Gamma, color correction, etc...so those are reasons why a VP might do significantly better than the display in other areas.......

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/14231587

You say the scaling of the display is "not the best", but it is the scaling that is so-so, the de-interlacing, or both? On some displays the scaling is actually not too bad, but the de-interlacing sucks. If that is the case (de-interlacing is poor) then 1080i would be the one thing you would want to avoid.

Well, I haven't had a chance to check my displays deinterlacing (it doesn't accept 480i over HDMI). I say the scaling is not the best, because when I send 480p from my Oppo 983 and also 1080i from my Oppo, 1080i looks better. 1080i also looks better than 720p (as far as upconverting goes), so I assume my display does deinterlace ok. Also, 480i over component from my cable box looks much better than 480p from my cable box. 1080i from my cable box is much sharper, but there's so much noise and artifacts, I leave it at 480i. (Can't wait for a VP
)

I haven't bothered re-wiring my player for component just to check 480i vs 480p for deinterlacing.

Good point about some displays not accepting 768p over HDMI, I am unsure if my display will or not, but I sure hope so.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Really there is no way to answer this. Every setup is different (sources, VP's, displays, etc...). You'll have to experiment best you can and make your own decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts