AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd start a new version of this thread since the previous one was so poorly titled. Especially since there doesn't seem to be any way to simply edit in a new title to the old thread. I hope this one is clearer and achieves the discussion goal. So here goes..

As stated before, this thread is for showcasing VR games only. My only caveat is...I'd like to keep discussion centered on the games more than the different platforms. Tech talk is decidedly fair game, as it relates to the specific genre of games (or a particular game). Since I really think the gold mine for VR is in AAA remakes of the most popular last generation classics with addition of new enhancements and DLC...this should be a no brainer for game developers. They shouldn't go the new IP route until significantly increasing their experience curves with classic IP that game enthusiasts are hungering for in VR IMO. That...more than risky new IP can and should drive the VR category for the next 2-4 years. Cancelled or mothballed IP like Prey 2, Fable, Advent Rising 2, HL3 should be immediately repurposed to VR to help ignite the exciting new genre. I think that is the cheapest, safest and most popular and responsible path for Game developers to take to guarantee financial success with early stage VR. Here are my top 3 for 2017-2019:

1.PC VR-Mass Effect Trilogy with new DLC & ME Andromeda; Half Life1-3; Portal 1-3
2.XBox One+-Halo VR series with new bridging DLC & multi platform MP; Prince of Persia VR series with all DLC embedded in the stories.
3.PS4+ VR-God of War VR series with a new mini installment about South American or Norse God mythology

So..what VR games & genre are you playing-liking-hating-want to Play?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
@ scubasteve2365:

I pulled your comment over here as the opening talking point after the OP. I will be asking the moderator to close & delete the other thread to avoid any confusion.

I like the thread idea, even if the topic/subject line is off point.

I'm very interested in the Fallout 4 version that is pending, although I don't like Fallout in general. It being in VR may make me run through it. I have a Vive and I've been playing some of the Oculus exclusives via Revive. Personally, I'd settle for some of the AAA games just to have a VR mode so that I can play it in 3rd person like Lucky's Tale and Chronos (are there more games like this. I'd love a final fantasy or other turn based RPG?)

As a gamer going all the way back to Atari, I'm simply wow'd by VR 3rd person games. I don't think everything in VR needs a first person perspective to be enjoyable. I certainly want those games, I want the novelty wii motion experiences (audio shield is great), I want sit down passive experiences, I want 3rd person experiences.

My point, is that there is a long list of existing software, IPs, and code out there that could be ported from existing AAA 3rd person games. I'd imagine, due to the controls, that taking COD or Battlefield would be a challenge. A God of War VR should be relatively straight forward from a design/execution perspective. You tether the camera to the HMD position with a leash and keep all of the controls the same. Probably have to build some off-camera rending that doesn't currently exist because the cameras couldn't pan over there in the "flat" version.

These AAA devs have the muscle to do it, moreso than random joe developing in his parent's basement.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I honestly can't even keep up with so much stuff coming out. I mean the Steam list of games/content with VR support is at 439 for Vive and 197 for Rift (and of course Oculus has its own store as well).

Sure, some of that is absolute garbage, but it's still crazy how fast new things are coming out.

Reactions: barrelbelly

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I honestly can't even keep up with so much stuff coming out. I mean the Steam list of games/content with VR support is at 439 for Vive and 197 for Rift (and of course Oculus has its own store as well).

Sure, some of that is absolute garbage, but it's still crazy how fast new things are coming out.

Yeah, it's really hard to keep up with everything. Seems like every single day 2 or 3 new VR games are being talked about on Reddit. Some of them are extremely amateur and are somewhat "cash grabs", but some of them appear to be serious efforts, but the prices are all over the map, and there really needs to be some kind of clearing house that examines all of this stuff to determine which games people need to take a closer look at, and which games can be totally ignored.

I wish there was a website that really specialized in keeping track of all these VR games and reviewing them, and kind of helping steer VR gamers in the right direction to avoid a lot of the shovelware crap.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Anthony1. But if the already existing game media like IGN, PC Gamer and others really did their jobs...instead of being cheerleaders for the status quo...they would already be doing what you suggest. It should be nothing for them to create focus review areas for VR games only. The game media is so far behind the VR movement (especially with the games) it borders on sheer incompetence and neglect. On the other hand...there is a very low tech approach that Developers can do kick start the media into the future IMO. Plus it would self expose many of the cheap cash grabs out there in VR. And that is mount an aggressive Remake campaign of their best sellers in VR format. That would drive people to VR "en masse". And they would resell their libraries of classics & winners all over again. This is just to simple to ignore. EA, MS, Sony and others need to get off their complacent behinds and force this to happen with devs...if for no other reason...than to grow their stagnant industry. VR is the brightest light shining in it right now. And they already have the game IP to explode it into super nova.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I agree Anthony1. But if the already existing game media like IGN, PC Gamer and others really did their jobs...instead of being cheerleaders for the status quo...they would already be doing what you suggest. It should be nothing for them to create focus review areas for VR games only. The game media is so far behind the VR movement (especially with the games) it borders on sheer incompetence and neglect. On the other hand...there is a very low tech approach that Developers can do kick start the media into the future IMO. Plus it would self expose many of the cheap cash grabs out there in VR. And that is mount an aggressive Remake campaign of their best sellers in VR format. That would drive people to VR "en masse". And they would resell their libraries of classics & winners all over again. This is just to simple to ignore. EA, MS, Sony and others need to get off their complacent behinds and force this to happen with devs...if for no other reason...than to grow their stagnant industry. VR is the brightest light shining in it right now. And they already have the game IP to explode it into super nova.
I'm not sure if re-making games for VR is the way to go. Sure, Bethesda is doing it with Fallout 4, and they seem to be doing "something" with Doom, but if the vast majority of companies tried to port their stuff to VR, it would probably be half-assed jobs that would turn people away from VR if anything. That's one of my biggest fears. You know how Final Fantasy had some PS VR thing that was supposedly absolutely God awful. Unfortunately, you just can't trust a lot of these bigger publishers. They don't know what the hell they are doing if they try to just force their stuff to work with VR. Bethesda is making it work, but they are putting in a ton of effort and they aren't going to half ass it.

EA seems to be pretty indifferent to VR at this point. Otherwise, they would be making a golf game in VR. Or a Madden VR Quarterback Experience game. Of course, EA will say that once the market is big enough they will be there. They're just not true believers yet. Microsoft isn't going to do anything about VR until they have their Scorpio system available.

Sony is going to be bringing VR to the masses this Fall which will be super interesting. Unfortunately, PS4 owners won't be able to try out roomscale, and the tracking solution Sony has is less than desirable, but hopefully they will have enough polished experiences to get things started off on the right foot.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

20 days later and the Vive is now up to 515 titles. 76 things in 20 days. Nearly 4 a day. It's insane. Even just keeping things straight is hard. People are saying great things about Onward (though it's buggy). I don't know though, military shooters just aren't really my thing these days.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Did you get Blasters of the Universe for 3 bucks in that indiegala thing on Monday ? I was able to grab that, even though my Vive is currently on the shelf. (3 in 1 cable died on me and I'm currently waiting a replacement from HTC. Haven't been able to enjoy my Vive since Wednesday August 24th)

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I already had that one in my library I think from the big VR sale on Steam, but I admittedly haven't even touched it yet. That's another one that I keep reading good things about.

I also have been seeing on Reddit that some people are now getting a slimmer 3-in-1 cable, hopefully you'll get lucky and get that one.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I also have been seeing on Reddit that some people are now getting a slimmer 3-in-1 cable, hopefully you'll get lucky and get that one.

I've got my fingers crossed that I get the new cable. That would be a nice stroke of luck, but if I get the old one, oh well... I just can't wait to get whichever cable they send, because it's been about 10 days since I've played my Vive. It's honestly been hard to not have the thing for 10 days. I've heard stories of some people not playing their Vive for a month or whatever because they weren't that into it, but for me, not playing the thing for 10 days, it's been pretty brutal.

I just don't have any interest in games on a flat screen anymore. For me, VR is so much more compelling and powerful. I'm not saying I can never play a game on a flat screen anymore, but I'm saying that when the desire hits me to play a game, I want to play a VR game.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Not having central air, I'm just glad the temperatures are starting to go back down so I can use my Vive more. :D

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I mentioned in another thread, but I had my first VR experience with the Playstation VR demo at Best Buy. Now it's all I can think of.

You guys are right - this is a whole new way to play. Can't wait to get one in Oct.!!!!
I think you mentioned you tried Battlezone. That was the same one that I tried, and I was super impressed. It's one of the reasons I'm going to try to grab a PS VR if I can (didn't pre-order). I just preordered a PS4 Pro, with the hopes that VR experiences on the PS4 Pro will be a wee bit better than standard PS4. I don't currently own a PS4, so I figure if I'm going to jump in, might as well get the Pro.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I think you mentioned you tried Battlezone. That was the same one that I tried, and I was super impressed. It's one of the reasons I'm going to try to grab a PS VR if I can (didn't pre-order). I just preordered a PS4 Pro, with the hopes that VR experiences on the PS4 Pro will be a wee bit better than standard PS4. I don't currently own a PS4, so I figure if I'm going to jump in, might as well get the Pro.
Hopefully PSVR will be back in stock in Nov. for ya.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Hopefully PSVR will be back in stock in Nov. for ya.
I'm still going to try to get a PS VR on launch day (October 13th). I'll just have to try getting one at a Target or someplace that didn't do preorders for it. Maybe Costco or something like that. I know there will be profiteers and scalpers that might try to take advantage of any shortfall in shipments. (although I honestly don't think it will work for them, and they will have to end up returning it later, but who knows)

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Here ya go:
https://www.nowinstock.net/videogaming/accessories/playstationvr/

How will you play it in Oct without a PS4? :confused:

I won't. It will have to sit in it's box until November 10th. I don't want to take the chance that on November 10th I won't be able to get a PS VR without having to pay a markup to scalpers. I might return and rebuy it right before the 10th if possible, to get a new 30 day return window on it.

There is a slight possibility that I could consider buying a used, cheapo PS4 via Craigslist, just to use briefly and then re-sell. The key factor with that, is that I would have to get it cheap enough to feel like I could easily recoup my investment minus say a $20 rental fee.

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
I might return and rebuy it right before the 10th if possible, to get a new 30 day return window on it.
Not sure if it's morally sound, but if you are friendly with employees at Gamestop who don't mind bucking the system, you could get a Slim in Oct., and return it within 30 days for credit toward a Pro..? Just make sure you have the Pro pre-ordered and keep your receipt.

Not sure I would go that route without encouragement from the employees, but sure would be tempted.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Not sure if it's morally sound, but if you are friendly with employees at Gamestop who don't mind bucking the system, you could get a Slim in Oct., and return it within 30 days for credit toward a Pro..? Just make sure you have the Pro pre-ordered and keep your receipt.

Not sure I would go that route without encouragement from the employees, but sure would be tempted.
I know a few people with PS4's, I might be able to borrow one for a couple of days. Sure, it will kinda suck to not be able to really get into it (PS VR) until November 10th, but there really isn't any other option.

I could try the Craigslist route, but the problem is, as soon as the Pro is available the prices will drop again. So, I would have to sell it again probably in late October or take another huge loss. Maybe I'll try to do that. But I'm going to have to find a really cheapo PS4, and most folks on Craigslist think they can get $300 for them still, lol.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This right here is a bombshell that seems to be exploding in an out of control way right now for Palmer Luckey, Oculus Rift, and Facebook.

http://www.businessinsider.com/palmer-luckey-jeopardizing-facebook-oculus-rift-2016-9

Let me say right up front that I fervently hope that any and all comments about this development nuke stay totally out of political conversation. And instead center around the potential impact that may occur in the VR gaming world at large. That's what the main body of the article focused on anyway. It's already having major impact in the game developer world as the article states. As some Devs are already moving to Vive and PSVR platforms because of it. IMO it could affect what Microsoft and other big enterprise developers/partners plan to do in the future if its not handled properly by Facebook & Zuckerberg. There is a lot of meat to discuss here without delving into stupid politics. None of us care how the other votes or swings so let's make sure we sheath any talk of such. Instead I am somewhat disappointed that a very promising new platform is now functioning under a cloud because of youthful inexperience and bad judgement. And by that I only mean that, politics always seems to a pathway to ruining fun and excitement in new discoveries, missions, adventures and markets. One thing is clear though. Consumers will go where the best games are. And they'll go where the best price/value relationship exists in products. If right now was 2017 (when I plan to buy VR), It's Sony and Vive. And I was heavily leaning that way before this S..tstorm with Oculus Rift hit. I was only waiting to see what emerged from OR/MS/Game Dev alliances. Now it really doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts