AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
thanks for the link, Billie!

I'd like to do a comparison of the VSA VR-1s and the Onix Ref 1s...

I thought that someone in So Cal who had the VR-1s had ordered up a pair of Ref 1s...Gchon? if i'm not mistaken...wonder if he ever had both in his possession to do some comparisons...

if anyone has the VR-1s in So Cal and would like to conduct a comparison, please PM me!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm sure that would be a great shootout. I had some VR-1's at the house this past weekend but as you know they had no hours on them so they really weren't given a fair chance. I can tell you this about them though, they can't hold a candle finish wise to the Ref 1's....I know, looks aren't everything but it sure does make them easier to get past the SO!!!;)

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
A very strong, positive review of the VR-1!

Quite a closing statement, "... the VR-1 has wide audience appeal and ends up setting a benchmark for two-ways in its price range."

Hard to believe this little, relatively inexpensive two-way, could possibly produce the bass as described in the review.

From time to time, people ask here for recommendations for speakers that will sit very close to walls and perhaps inside of bookshelves. Sounds like the VR-1 should be a consideration for these conditions.

Mad Dog, you should be able to find VR-1's in Southern Cal as Von Schweikert Audio is located in Southern Cal, in El Cajon.

As to the cabinet finish, the review states, "The VR-1’s veneer is the real surprise here. I just finished reviewing the $2600/pair Focus Signature FS-688 speakers that sport the best wood-veneer finish I’ve seen. The VR-1s can’t quite compare with the FS-688s, but with a $995 price tag, VSA won’t hear a complaint from me. The woodworking looks as good, and in ways it's better than that of lots of speakers that cost twice the price." They do come in 4 different finishes.

Tom B.

·
Registered
730 Posts
He also mentions, "the VR-1 can sound just a touch mechanical" and "female vocals had just a smidgen of splash and a tinge of sssshhh in the uppermost regions."

As to the finish, he also mentions, "The FS-688 is gorgeously finished in exotic, wanna-rub-up-against-it veneers that are heavily lacquered and polished to perfection." He does not say anything of the like about the VR-1's, so obviously there is still quite a vast difference from the "best wood-veneer finish(es)."

Still overall a positive review of the VR-1's. Should be interesting to hear them one of these days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Tom, are you going to make it to that shootout they are having with the Ref 1's?? I thought that somebody was having one near you.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 46minaudio
"He does not say anything of the like about the VR-1's"

Who said he did??I may have missed it..
No one specifically said he did. It just seems to me that Tom is disputing the standing of the VR-1's finish from what hectic1 wrote. I am just trying to put everything in perspective..as I am sure he is too.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I was pointing out that the reviewer, who has been reviewing many speakers for many years, made a point of noting that the VR-1 has an excellent wood finish for a speaker in the $995 price range, even going so far as to state that it was better than many speakers selling at the $2000 price range.

No matter how anyone else tries to spin this, it is very high praise.

Likewise for the sound quality. As no one expects a low-cost $995/pr speaker to be perfect, heck I don't expect a $10,000/pr speaker to be perfect, there will always be areas where its performance will come up lacking a bit. However as the review states that it sets a benchmark for speakers in its price range, I don't think any manufacturer could ask for more.

Of course if one wants deep, strong bass, the little VR-1 is not going to deliver it. It needs placement close to a wall boundary to achieve -6dB response at 40Hz. And I seriously doubt it has great dynamics and razor-sharp resolution in the sub-50Hz region. I'm sure that I could find a number of ways in which it falls well short of my own speakers. All of that said, from this review and others that I've read, it sounds like an excellent value for a sub-$1000 bookshelf speaker, able to reproduce a respectable degree of "high-end" quality sound.

Just putting things into perspective.

Tom B.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since the VR-1s can be bought at discount (say $800 or less) than they are an even better deal than mentioned in the review. The Ref-1s are $1500? and no discount. So you could buy 2 pairs of VR-1s for the price of the Ref 1s. But, if you have the money the Ref 1s might be better.....we shall see.

By the way, I have a pair of VR-1s and the finish is wonderful. If the finish on the Ref 1s is better, than great, but no one will not like the finish on the VR-1s. Certainly the best finished speaker I have ever owned.....till the VMPS RMXs come in......the wait is killing me!

If you want an evem more transparent speaker then the VR-1s/Ref 1s then the VMPS 626Rs with my proprietary mods are the ticket.....We are talking transparent here! They are much larger and somewhat more expensive than the Ref 1s however, but in another league, I am sure.

The modded 626Rs simply kill my modded VR-1s in transparency, treble detail and extention, speed, image size and naturalness, etc. The mods to the VR-1s make it much better than stock but no match for the electrostatic like transparency and vividness that the modded 626Rs do.

However, for someone who wants a small relatively inexpensive great looking/sounding speaker that sounds very big and has very good dispersion (the VMPS speakers have limited vertical dispersion) than the VR-1s are a fantastic deal.

Ric Schultz

·
Registered
605 Posts
Finish is a very subjective thing....I personally find nothing spectacular about a plain Black Ash finish on a speaker. I was saying that the VR-1's in my OPINION didn't even compare to the Bird's Eye Maple finish on the Ref 1's.

I will also say that I did hear the "the VR-1 can sound just a touch mechanical" and "female vocals had just a smidgen of splash and a tinge of sssshhh in the uppermost regions."

I pointed it out to Theranman while we were listening to them. I told him that I thought that I heard some sibilance on them but that might have been due to lack of hours on them. After reading the review on them that has cemented in my mind what I heard that day, a very good $700.00 speaker with some faults. No flames please as this is my opinion. It's important to remember that one man's junk is another man's treasure. That's what makes the world go around!!:cool:

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You saw the black ash finish? That's the boring one. They only offer it because some people want black speakers. All of the other three are much nicer. I'd never get it in black ash.

Tom B.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ric Schultz

If you want an evem more transparent speaker then the VR-1s/Ref 1s then the VMPS 626Rs with my proprietary mods are the ticket.....We are talking transparent here! They are much larger and somewhat more expensive than the Ref 1s however, but in another league, I am sure.
I am not so sure about the last sentence, having compared the Ref 1's to some other very well respected speakers, although I may be able to compare them to the 626R's soon. I am interested in what mods you have made to the 626R's and VR-1's, if you are at liberty to mention them.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
As I've said before, I'm no fan of black speakers, regardless of the finish. They can be black ash, black vinyl, piano black gloss, black fabric, black metal or black matte plastic ... makes no difference to me. I've never seen a black speaker that I've found attractive. It's a personal thing.

And my big Von Schweikerts are 95% black fabric covered ... just big black boxes. I'd rate them as below average in appearance. But I don't buy speakers on appearance. If I listened to a group of $1500/pr speakers and the black ones sounded best, those would be the ones that I would buy.

Albert puts a lot more attention into the appearance of his speakers now than he did 8-9 years ago. Too many lost sales due to negative WAF.

Tom B.

·
Registered
379 Posts
FWIW, Stan Ricker, co-founder of MoFi, and "guru" recording-mastering engineer picked up a pair of VR-1's at CES in January. Anyone looking for accurate feedback from a true bookshelf reference monitor,,,, if its good enough for Stan the Man,,,,, I'll have what Stan's havin! I believe Enjoy the Music picked the VR1's, best small speaker at CES.

The African Hazelwood finish by the way is simply gorgeous! Great value for audiophiles on a budget. Add the new VSA S/1 sub and you've got a killer full-range system.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sorry, The mods would not be proprietary if I shared them.....Let's just say both the VR-1s and any VMPS speaker can be taken where no one has ever taken them! Stock the 626Rs are good. Modified, they are breathtaking.

Ric Schultz

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.