AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking of trying these bookshelves as main l/r speakers in a ht setup supplemented by a sub of course..The question is, does the lcr35 center channel match them or is there another VS center channel for them ? any help is apreciated

Also any opinions as to whether these would work well for ht is invited as well..I havent heard them yet but am going to try and demo them soon..For the money would a used pair of vr-4s gen 1 be a better value then this little vr-1s ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
A dedicated center match for the new VR1's and VR2's will be released very soon. The new center enclosure will offer the same striking wood finish. The African Hazelwood finish is drop dead gorgeous by the way.

The new VR1's were set up in a 5.1 configuration at CES(3-VR1's front, 2-rear) incorporating the addition of the S/1 sub. Great demo!

The stand alone VR1's in a 2-channel arrangement were compared to the VR4Gen III SE's pair. The sonic bloodline was apparent as the little VR1's performed remarkable well against its bigger cousin.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Don't forget that you can also use a VR-1 for center channel duty as well. Also, I've been told that a matching dipole surround will be offered within the next 6 months as well...probably when the matching center arrives.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Used VR-4's Gen I vs a VR-1 eh?

Two very different beasts.

The VR-4 is going to go deeper with more authority and less distortion. It will handle more power. It will have better dynamics. In a large room, I would give it the edge on imaging. I used a pair of these for almost 5 years.

The VR-1 has an improved midrange driver. Will likely provide a tighter, more well-defined sound in a small to moderate-sized room. But I haven't personally heard them yet, so I can't speak with first-hand listening experience.

If I had to pick a system for stereo use, where I was going to listen to a wide range of music, in a larger room, and would be sometimes playing at loud volumes, I would be inclined to go with the VR-4. They are very good speakers, and if they were still being made today using the same quality of construction, they would be priced at around $5000/pr new.

Any hestitation I would have would be due to the change in the midrange driver. While the modified 5.25" Audax driver used in the VR-4 was quite good, Albert just raves over the improvement out of his new composite drivers. OTOH, the driver being used for the midrange in the VR-1 must also handle the low bass, which puts a stress on the driver. The VR-4's midrange enjoys the luxury of not handling freq below 125Hz.

In the end, I would be shocked if the VR-1 could produce the big, open, transparent sound of the VR-4 in a larger room. I've pumped over 250 watts into them and they stayed clean & uncompressed. If someone has enough space for them to breathe & can live with how large and dominating they are, then they are a great bargain at today's used prices.

One other nice benefit is that if you ever come into more money, you can drop $2500 to buy Albert's VR-5/7 mod. This upgrades the VR-4 into a cross between the $9000 VR-5 and the $17,000 VR-7, replacing all of the drivers. Then it becomes an incredible speaker for the money (less than $4000 if you get the VR-4's for under $1500). I have the mod and can attest that the new composite drivers are very impressive, with excellent detail and clarity.

But the two will not sound alike. While Albert's speakers tend to all have similar sonic characteristics, these boxes are just too different in size, design, crossovers and drivers to sound the same. So it is hard to say which type of sound might be more appealing to you.

Tom B.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I really need to find a place to demo both. I moved to a smaller ht room which is 14X14 and I currently have nht 2.9s and the ac-2 doing front duty. I love the sound but lately have been thinking about a change. I was thinking about bookshelves because of my room size and the fact that I can use a sub to suppliment. I do like my music/movies at loud volumes though and have lexicon (bryston) amps currently.

I am 70 percent ht and 30 percent two channel (dont care about 5.1 audio to much at the moment)...So I know it may be crazy but have decided to possible pick a system based on which CENTER channel is best and then go from there (two channel is 30 percent but still VERY important to me). I have read great things about the vsa lcr35, also am considering aerial lr3 and cc3 center (which I have demoed and thought they sounded great) or maybe even revel m20's and the performa center channel or onix ref1's and matching center.

I wonder if the vr-1 would be as good a center channel as the lcr35 straight up ?..(taking into account timber matching l/r to either vr4's or vr-1's)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm using a VR-1 as center, along with two VR-1's for mains and I'm very happy. I probably won't pursue the matching center when it comes out.

Mark

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the matching center merely gives you the advantage of volume....IF necessary. The disadvantage MAY lie in its lobing if the listener sits off center. You'd have to try it and sit in the cheap seats to see if you like it. A VR-1 should do nicely if you're in a medium size room, but don't like to crank the heck out of your movies.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The LCR-35 does not timbre-match the VR-4 Gen I. Very different speaker. You have to go back to the LCR-20/21/30/31 series to get closer to the original VR-4.

My guess would be that a VR-1 serving as a center would be a better match to VR-1 fronts than a LCR-35 would be. Again, the LCR-35 wasn't designed to match the VR-1, although I suspect it would be relatively close given the drivers used in both.

As recommended by others, if I were using VR-1's as fronts, I would use either another VR-1 for the center, or wait for the matching center.

Tom B.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The LCR 35 matches the VR3.5's. They use the exact same drivers. They also match the TS350's. These speakers are very seamless for HT and 5 channel audio. I can attest to this after living with them for the last year.

I would take Jacksons suggestion and wait for the matching center or use another VR1 for center duties.

Cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
quote:

the matching center merely gives you the advantage of volume....IF necessary. The disadvantage MAY lie in its lobing if the listener sits off center.

Why wouldnt a vr-1 give you the same volume as a matching center channel ..and are you saying that a vr-1 would be better for those who sit off-axis (important to me) ?

How is the lcr20/21/30/31 in comparision to the lcr35..I guess what Im asking is, that I want the best possible center channel (not lcr50 to expensive for me) and will maybe let that lead me as to which l/r speakers I end up with...be it a vr-1 in a vr-1 setup or vr-1 matching center or lcr35 with the least expensive l/r speakers that match it

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The VR-1 wouldn't be capable of the same volume because it's only got a single midwoofer and is in a smaller box. Whether it's capabilities are enough for you depends upon your room size and volume level preferences.

The VR-1 is better for those sitting off axis because it's tweeter is situated above the woofer and it's optimised for horizontal dispersion. The "matching" center channel is typically laid out in a woof-tweeter-woof orientation(otherwise known as a D'Appolito array) which means that for a person seated off center, his ears will be farther away from the tweeter than the woofer and that will make it sound a little different than a regular VR-1. Again, you'd really have to experiment to see if the difference bothers you. Typically, you'd have to sit at least 15% off center to tell, but panning across the front during movies might highlight this effect.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just got back from Tweeters. I listened to some sonus fabers which I like but when I listened to the solo center channel I found it lacking. I had the salesman put a sonus concertino bookshelf beside the solo center channel and switch back/forth using them both as centers. I was amazed (and so was the salesman) that the concertino sounded much fuller/less tinny and better dispered then the solo center channel and vocals were better. I wondering If this is the difference in sound between a bookshelf and center in other lines as well , or is more of the sonus center channel not being up to par. I will seriously consider a matching bookshelf instead of a dedicated center..

One note we switched back/forth with all the other speakers playing in a 7.1 setup and then turned all the other speakers off and just listened to the concertino bookshelf/ solo center ,,in both cases to our ears the concertino did a much better job as a center channel

What Im wondering is, if you sit the vertical bookshelf on top of a rear projection and angle it down would there be a comprimise in sound ?..also some bookshelves like the concertino have a baffled angle or rake to them(do the vr-1s have a flat front?), would angleing them down comprimise the rake or angle of the baffle ?..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
VR-1 has a vertical baffle. Angling the tweeter to face the listener is the preferred manner of placement. Glad you noticed the dispersion differences. Whenever possible, one should use the same center speaker as left and right mains, but logistics often prevents this. Good luck

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just talked to a VSA dealer who also sells vmps. In his opinion the vr-1 holds it own to its bigger brothers and the vmps.He RAVED about the sonics of the vr-1 and said he sells the vr-1 as the center channel and it does superbly...My finger is on the trigger...

Is there ANY reason why one wouldnt want to use the vr-1 as a center ?..That I may not be thinking about or hasnt already been mentioned

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The cosmetics of the VR-1 as a center might not appeal to you. I use mine lying on its side. The height to width ratio is still higher than most (all?) dedicated center channels speakers but I'm used to it.

I use the Auralex MoPAD to point the center channel VR-1 down. Three of the MoPAD strips fit just about perfectly. Each MoPAD set comes with 2 strips so you'll have to buy two MoPADs; but, the extra angle pieces may come in handy. I think I'm using two sets of angles to give more downward angle.

Mark

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mdv,

how is the vr-1 as a center working out for you and does laying it on its side effect the sound ? did you demo any other brands..

What kind of equipment do the vsa's like to be mated with ?..the 89 db sensitivity and small woofer suggests that their fairly easy to drive, do they apreicate more watts, brighter,warmer amps etc..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
psujohny,

So far I've been very happy with the VR-1's. I haven't tried the center oriented veritcally.

I'm planning on building an 3 speaker A/B switchbox to compare the VR-1's with my previous Acoustic Energy Aegis One's (including matching center channel) which I also really like.

On a couple of occasions I've noticed a bit of listener fatigue after extended sessions with the VR-1's. A couple of times I thought I heard something funny with the highs on the VR-1's. I want to A/B with my Aegis One's to see if this is the speakers or maybe something else in my setup.

I'm driving them with a Sherbourne 5/1500 amp.

Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.