AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to set one of the listening modes, whether, "suuround", advanced surr, THX, etc. to default to a particular one? For example, I watch Comcast programming in DPL II-Movie, and listen to Comcasts music choice programming in 7ch stereo. If I turn my receiver off while watching TV in DPL II, then turn it back on again and select "advanced surr", it defaults back to "surround movie". To put it more simply, its seems to only remember what the last mode it was on when turned off.

Thnx

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
That's exactly the behavior I'd expect, and that's the way it functions. It remembers the last mode for each input. So if your cable source was last set to 7ch Stereo, that's what it will be the next time that source is used.

I actually like this behavior. I'm playing around with listening to the tuner in 7ch stereo, but like to have it set to DPLII Music for everything else. And when something Dolby Digital comes on, I that mode takes over (DPL2 over DD 5.1 doesn't do anything).

I guess you want it to default back to DPL2 every time you use that source, regardless of your last mode. That's not possible. No default mode.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish that it would remember which mode it was last in by its respective "surround" mode and "advanced surround" mode. So if you last listened to "7 ch stereo" (advanced surround mode) it would automatically stay on that mode, until you physically changed it.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gov
I wish that it would remember which mode it was last in by its respective "surround" mode and "advanced surround" mode. So if you last listened to "7 ch stereo" (advanced surround mode) it would automatically stay on that mode, until you physically changed it.
It does do that. I was just listening to Tuner in 7ch Stereo, then I switched to the DVR input and started watching ER on the HD TiVo. It's coming through as Dolby Digital. I switched back to Tuner, and it's still set to 7ch Stereo.

Unless I'm missing something, this is the behavior you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I turned mine off and back on. It still remembers 7ch Stereo for Tuner and DPL2 Music for DVR.

It also remembers loudness/midnight and Dialog enhancer settings independantly for each source.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it will.....let me try and explain in more detail. In my case, I watch cable thru "TV/SAT" on the receiver in "DPL II movie". When I listen to music choice thru cable (again "TV/SAT"), I like to hit the "advanced surround" button and select "7 Ch Stereo". Now, if I switch back to view a cable program, I will hit the "surround" button and bring back "DPL II movie". Now, if I turn the receiver off and then turn it back on again, it will be on "DPL II movie" because that is how it was when I turned it off. However, when I press the "advanced surround" button again for "7 Ch Stereo", it will have defaulted back to "surround movie" because that is the first "advanced surround" mode in the line up, as "DPL II Movie" is in the "surround" mode.

Now what I am saying is, I wish that the receiver would remember the last mode it was on in its respective surround modes (surround, adv surround, THX Etc)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Gov,

I finally understand! Sorry I wasn't following before. I really don't like Toggle buttons, and that's why.

Here's an idea: Does your cable box have another set of audio outputs? Maybe you can set up a source that you'd dedicate to "cable music" and always have that set to 7ch stereo. I haven't tested this, but can you bind inputs to more than one source on the 1014? My old HTIB Philips could do this (that AVR was quite feature packed for HTIB).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.