AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey guys-

So there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and so I'll pose this question here instead of accepting the generic answer Pioneer Support gave me.

Quote:

Code:
I realize this receiver has no upscaling but I'm having an issue with the 
receiver passing a 1080P signal.  I have my computer connected to the receiver 
and then out from my receiver to the tv.  I have the resolution on the computer 
set to 1920 X 1080 with a 60hz refresh rate.  If I turn on the HDMI passthru 
and shut off the receiver, the computer's signal shows on the TV with out problem.
When I turn on the receiver the picture disappears and doesn't come back.  
If I turn the resolution on my computer down to 1280 X 720 then the picture will show.
Does this receiver not handle 1080P?  The specs definitely show that it can handle 
up to 4K... so what is the problem?  
I've ruled out everything but the receiver by using the pass thru feature
on the receiver.

Pioneer told me that my video card probably has trouble syncing with the HDCP protocol.  I would take that and start there but it works at 720P, so I'm pretty sure that is an incorrect assumption.

I will also mention that I had this setup on a VSX-1020-k previously and it worked perfectly... So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Kyle

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copekyle  /t/1520158/vsx-1023-k-will-display-720p-but-not-1080p#post_24417673

Hey guys-

So there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and so I'll pose this question here instead of accepting the generic answer Pioneer Support gave me.

Pioneer told me that my video card probably has trouble syncing with the HDCP protocol.  I would take that and start there but it works at 720P, so I'm pretty sure that is an incorrect assumption.

I will also mention that I had this setup on a VSX-1020-k previously and it worked perfectly... So I'm not sure what the deal is.

Thanks for any advice you can offer,

Kyle

They may be correct. HDCP sucks and it is only for 1080p 720p is not affected.

there are some cheap HDMI splitters on Ebay that will eliminate the issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271267745954?var=570182992012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nashou

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

How can I tell if HDCP is the problem?  I'm using onboard video on an AsRock A75M.  The manual tells me that it is HDCP certified.  And I'm connected to an LG 55LE5400 tv which also is HDCP certified.  Are there HDMI cables that are not HDCP certified?  I'm using monoprice cables that I purchased 4 years ago.  They say nothing about HDCP...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66  /t/1520158/vsx-1023-k-will-display-720p-but-not-1080p#post_24419445

They may be correct. HDCP sucks and it is only for 1080p 720p is not affected.

there are some cheap HDMI splitters on Ebay that will eliminate the issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271267745954?var=570182992012&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Nashou

In my setup, where would I put this?  I go from computer to stereo receiver (VSX-1023) to tv.  I'm guessing if I have it between the stereo and tv then it would fix the problem for all future devices?  I never had this problem with my old receiver (VSX-1020) but it had upscaling and probably no HDCP. 

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I would try replacing the cables first. It is possibly a cable issue at the higher speed (of course you ARE using high speed certified cables... right?). Also you don't mention lengths involved along with what video options you have tried (ie. turn any "deep color" stuff OFF).

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by copekyle  /t/1520158/vsx-1023-k-will-display-720p-but-not-1080p#post_24421860

How can I tell if HDCP is the problem?  I'm using onboard video on an AsRock A75M.  The manual tells me that it is HDCP certified.  And I'm connected to an LG 55LE5400 tv which also is HDCP certified.  Are there HDMI cables that are not HDCP certified?  I'm using monoprice cables that I purchased 4 years ago.  They say nothing about HDCP...

Did you check the iisted website..

HDCP certified means little if done by the brand itself..

HDMI certified means it passes all of the HDMI and HDCP standards established by Silicon Image.. plus it includes theirextensive, intercomponent operability testing....

The intercomponent operability test is very crucial as this where many HDMI components have handshake issues when trying to commuincate with one another...

Unfortunately many brands do not submit their products for certification testing as it takes a few weeks and is quite expensive. So they do some sort of internal, in-house short cut testing procedure, these brands include Direct TV, Samsung, LG, Scientific Atlanta, Motorola...

Check the posts of users complaining for HDMI handshake issues, and very frequently these brands are the culprits.. Note that if the HDMI source product is connected directly into an HDMI display, it has much fewer issues than when connected through an AVR HDMI repeater system... The AVR must take in the HDCP signal, decrypt it and then re-encrypt it when sending (repeating) out to the HDMI display...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉

1 - 7 of 7 Posts