AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The two I am considering right now:

1) Pioneer VSX1120

2) Onkyo NR708


Needs/Wants:

3D Compatible

iPod / iPhone Ready

Full HDMI (transfer the highest capable audio signal available via HDMI)

Pre-Amp Outputs

Internet Connectivity (firmware updates, Pandora)

Multi-Zone

THX Certified

7.1 Channel


Plan to upgrade to B&W speakers, or Martin Logan (worried abt limited sound stage though) within next couple years. Will hope to use same received, BUT, begin using an amp to power them.


Any help and advice from the A/V experts on this forum is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance all!


NOTE - I noticed that there is a thread comparing these, and it was helpful. Only issue, I really have no clue what Audessy, Faroudja, and other "marketing" terms mean.


If someone could explain why one over the other, in lehmans terms, it would really help me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS - I have a 50" Pioneer Kuro, so not sure if that adds any advantages.


Also, I currently have a Pio receiver, and after abt 3 years, my center and left surround channels are starting to give out (the sound will come in and out or silence completely) sometimes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts
Either of these will do what you want. The 708 appears to have analog inputs and I don't know about the 1120. As for your questions about the Faroujda video processor it is an older one. As far as those goes you don't need or probably wouldn't use a video processor with the display you have. The processor in your Kuro is better than ANY in an AVR. As for your other question about Audyssey and other programs, those used for EQ'ing your room. Denon,Marantz,Onkyo, and a few others use Audyssey of different grades. The lowest being Multi-EQ. It does not EQ your subwoofer. The grades above that do. Pioneer uses MCACC, it is different than Audyssey as it is tweakable and Audyssey isn't. Another EQ program is used by Yamaha. It's called YPAO and it is also tweakable, probably more so than even MCACC. Can't really tell you much about MCACC as I've never used it. Both of the AVR's you have on your list are THX certified, so they meet that want. You may want to check out the dedicated threads for each of these AVR's and see if one of them stand out to you more than the other. Good luck and enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used MCACC on my current Pio receiver and was not impressed - I custom tweaked everything to get a better experience.


It sounds to me like you would lean towards the 708; am I reading that right? My plan is to connect my Blu-Ray, 360, and DVR to the receiver via HDMI for both A&V input, from there, I will use a single output HDMI to send signal to my Kuro. Since my Kuro has a better processor, would this be the most effective way (in regards to sound and picture quality) to set this up?


By the way - thanks so much for your help. It is great to come one here and get useful advice from people such as yourself! So again, I thank you..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5little /forum/post/19504470


I used MCACC on my current Pio receiver and was not impressed - I custom tweaked everything to get a better experience.


It sounds to me like you would lean towards the 708; am I reading that right? My plan is to connect my Blu-Ray, 360, and DVR to the receiver via HDMI for both A&V input, from there, I will use a single output HDMI to send signal to my Kuro. Since my Kuro has a better processor, would this be the most effective way (in regards to sound and picture quality) to set this up?


By the way - thanks so much for your help. It is great to come one here and get useful advice from people such as yourself! So again, I thank you..

Actually I'm a huge Yamaha fan. Onkyo is second to me. I've never had a problem with any of my Yamaha or Onkyo AVR's. I've never owned a Pioneer AVR. You may want to look at some of the offerings from Yamaha if there are any in your price range. My Pioneer dealings are with only their Elite source products. The 1120 does seem to be very popular though. Just not for me. With the upgrades you are wanting to do just make sure that the AVR you do choose does have those much needed pre-outs. And please don't buy one because it supposedly has a great video processor. All video processors in AVR's are handcuffed in one way or another. Yamaha 3D AVR's with pre-outs start with the 667 and models up from there. They have also introduced a new line called the Aventage series that looks to be very good. Again good luck with whichever one you choose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wanted to say thanks again for your help, and let you know i purchased the nr708. I was thinking of going with the vsx-32 or 33, but when all is said in done, I just had a good feeling abt the nr 708. I am going to get it set up this week, and plan to watch Inception as my first movie.


Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,191 Posts
The VSX-32 is pretty much the same as the 1120 except with Elite badge and 2 year warranty.


To correct an earlier post, Audyssey MutliEQ does EQ the subwoofer. Its the lesser 2EQ version found on the Onkyo 608 and below that doesn't. So yes, your Onkyo 708 will calibrate the sub for you too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/0


The VSX-32 is pretty much the same as the 1120 except with Elite badge and 2 year warranty.


To correct an earlier post, Audyssey MutliEQ does EQ the subwoofer. Its the less 2EQ version that doesn't. So you Onkyo 708 will calibrate the sub for you too.

The vsx32 also has a 12v trigger and the all-important yellow-text LCD!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
palehorse - thanks for the info and clarification


I love my Kuro TV (how could I not) but since I've had bad luck with my current pio receiver, I thought it would be a good idea to give onkyo a try.


I am excited for the new receiver and cant wait to crank it up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5little /forum/post/19504470


I used MCACC on my current Pio receiver and was not impressed - I custom tweaked everything to get a better experience.


It sounds to me like you would lean towards the 708; am I reading that right? My plan is to connect my Blu-Ray, 360, and DVR to the receiver via HDMI for both A&V input, from there, I will use a single output HDMI to send signal to my Kuro. Since my Kuro has a better processor, would this be the most effective way (in regards to sound and picture quality) to set this up?


By the way - thanks so much for your help. It is great to come one here and get useful advice from people such as yourself! So again, I thank you..

How pleased are you with the MCACC after the custom tweaking? Any regrets about not going with an Audyssey equipped receiver?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,458 Posts
I'm very interested to hear about your experience with the 708 as I am having the same dilemma as you. The only thing holding me back from the 708 are all of the reports of sound and HDMI problems. Seems like the sound issues were fixed with the last firmware update, but I worry a little about the HDMI board going out, which seems to be another fairly common issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Uther - My old PIO receiver is about 5 years old. I tried the MCACC a couple times and I was not pleased with the sound. This was not an Elite receiver, and maybe the technology has improved. I found that custom tuning the system better fit my taste. I'd say the biggest downfall with MCACC when I used it was:

1) IT significantly reduced my subwoofer output - almost to the point where you could hardly tell the sub was in the room

2) It reduced the surround output as well, and this had a negative impact on listening

I went in and changed the settings myself, and was fairly pleased with the output from then on.

With the Newer BluRays - I can tell this old receiver cannot keep up, and doesn't offer me the surround experience I desire. Again, it is not an elite model, and is something I purchased to get me through college.

On the NR708 - I was concerned with the sound issues and understood that the last firmware upgrade should have helped to fix those.

I am not sure what issues you are speaking of in regards to the HDMI - and lets just HOPE I don't find out the hard way.

I ordered off Amazon for a great price and deliver is scheduled for 12/30. Worst comes to worst - I'll send it back and order and 1120; no worries.


I plan to watch inception on the 30th right after I get it hooked up - that should put the system to the test
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5little /forum/post/19719060


Uther - My old PIO receiver is about 5 years old. I tried the MCACC a couple times and I was not pleased with the sound. This was not an Elite receiver, and maybe the technology has improved. I found that custom tuning the system better fit my taste. I'd say the biggest downfall with MCACC when I used it was:

1) IT significantly reduced my subwoofer output - almost to the point where you could hardly tell the sub was in the room

2) It reduced the surround output as well, and this had a negative impact on listening

I went in and changed the settings myself, and was fairly pleased with the output from then on.

With the Newer BluRays - I can tell this old receiver cannot keep up, and doesn't offer me the surround experience I desire. Again, it is not an elite model, and is something I purchased to get me through college.

On the NR708 - I was concerned with the sound issues and understood that the last firmware upgrade should have helped to fix those.

I am not sure what issues you are speaking of in regards to the HDMI - and lets just HOPE I don't find out the hard way.

I ordered off Amazon for a great price and deliver is scheduled for 12/30. Worst comes to worst - I'll send it back and order and 1120; no worries.


I plan to watch inception on the 30th right after I get it hooked up - that should put the system to the test

Any update with your 708 purchase? I too am debating between the 1120 and the 708. My biggest fear is going to MCACC vs Audyssey MultEQ.


I would also love to hear anyone else's input on this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
I have onkyo 608 and im going to change it for an 708 or marantz 5005. I heard that pio is not as powerfull as onkyos. When onkyo rated 110W x 7 channels they are pretty close to it even if using all 7 channels. On pio and yamaha said 100w x 7 ch its quite close if on 2 ch but if use 5 or 7 ch the performance is lot lower than 100w per channel. Trust me i had a marantz 6003 rated 100w x 7 and the onkyo 608 sounds as powerful and loud than the 6003. 608 its a very good receiver for its price. I just prefer the marantz sq (sound quality) but the onkyo sounds excellent in movies and very good in music . So 708 its a great choice for you.


My plans is adding an emotiva xpa-3 amp even for onkyo or marantz. Thats why im not decided yet which receiver to bought because 708 has lot more features than marantz but marantz has better sq for me. So if adding an emotiva then i believe no matter which receiver i use the sq should be the same. I need someone to clarify that for me please!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I'm also stuck debating between the 708 & Marantz 5005 or 6005. I currently have an Onkyo 606 but am looking to upgrade to one of these three receivers. From what I've read Marantz seems to have the better sound quality but I'm just not sure what to do. I can't even go to a store to demo the Marantz as their not widely carried here in Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi All - I have been running the NR-708 for a couple weeks now, and have been very pleased! I definitely think I made the right decision to get this over the Pio receiver.


I will say I did not love the sound that audyssey tuned, so I use THX Cinema for all TV / Movies / games and THX Music for internet music / iPod listening. The receiver seems to be solidly constructed, but I have it is sitting close to my Martin Logan Dynamo Sub and will sometime rattle when they are is deep bass.


Pandora is functional, but the look on screen is a bit outdated - same with iPod. I typically use my Logitech Harmony for everything, but when on Pandora or iPod, I have to use the Onkyo remote.


Other than that, I have been really pleased with this purchase. I think ultimately this will be my main receiver for a couple years until I upgrade my entire HT system. At that point, this will be a secondary set up in a living room or bedroom or cottage.


Feel free to ask any specific questions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r5little /forum/post/19833723


I typically use my Logitech Harmony for everything, but when on Pandora or iPod, I have to use the Onkyo remote.

Why?


I have the 708, and I was able to program both apps with my universal remote.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I researched for weeks over the 1120 and Onkyo 808 and others.


The short of it is ... get out there and audition these things if you can.


Do an A/B test if possible , IE : same source , same speakers , use a CD direct setting or equivalent and just switch back and forth between the recievers every so often.

Play with the programming for awhile if you like.

The audition was the single most important thing I discovered after WEEKS of research. It may have every spec sheet check mark in the world in its favor ... doesn't matter a bit if it sounds bad to you.

Otherwise , what I have found online ....

Audessy vs MCACC = really boils down to personal preference , it is pretty much split down the middle who likes what and why.


I have not purchased yet , but right now am leannig heavily towards the Pioneer because it has great reviews on its processing capabilities , video and audio. It also has sufficient power to get started plus the capability to add an external amp if you please later on down the road.


The Pioneer has earned ALOT of reviews that said "WOW!..." , whereas the Oinker reviews were more like "This things pretty good ...".

I like "WOW" myself.


I have not heard an Onkyo yet , but I have auditioned the 1120 against a Denon and a Marantz and others.

I hated the Denon , the Marantz was pretty good , I loved the sound of the Pioneer.


So there ya go , another meaningless opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Yeah, the Onkyo should have the edge in the power category; however, there is no doubt that the Pio 1120 has a superior Video chip and video processing.


HoosierBronco (must be a draggin Ford man), that was a great response and perhaps the best advice. I wish you had the opportunity to try an Onkyo.


I want to demo the 1120, but unfortunately BB doesn't carry that model. They do carry the VX-32, and may have to try that. I guess the MCACC should be the same on the Elite.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top