AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer VSX-1325-K receiver I bought from Futureshop 4 years or so ago. From what I can tell it is very similar to the VSX-33.

I was listening to music with a 7.1 speaker setup at extremely high volume levels for an extended period of time. The receiver got incredibly hot and had the burning electronics smell and started to shut down and restart itself at a lower sound level. This happened a few times and instead of turning it down I kept it going at the same level. Being a dummy I had my center channel speaker sitting directly on top of the receiver.

It finally shut down and won't come back on anymore. When I press the power/standby button the relay clicks on/off quickly once and the blue light in the center of the power/standby button comes on and goes off instantly. The unit will just not power up.

I think that the power supply transformer is burned out. Is there a way to test the supply? The case has been opened, I know what I am doing when handling most electronics. There is a momentary 120V sent to the white/red wires leading to the transformer from the 120V power input board when the power/standby button is pressed. There is no voltage at any of the contacts on the secondary voltage side of the transformer as far as I can tell. I don't know if the control board isn't letting the transformer power up or the transformer gets the signal but is burned out.

What is the most common component to fail when a unit is run extremely hot and turned up? The only place in town that will repair electronics is a joke. Months of wait time and the guy is a jerk.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Sounds like somebody gets to go AVR shopping....:p

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I know what I am doing when handling most electronics.

I think that the power supply transformer is burned out.

Is there a way to test the supply?
If I thought it was the transformer...

I'd take it out and check it more carefully.

Look for open/short.

Put a little power at 60Hz to the input and see what it does with it on the secondaries.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I thought it was the transformer...

I'd take it out and check it more carefully.

Look for open/short.

Put a little power at 60Hz to the input and see what it does with it on the secondaries.
I took the transformer out and applied power to the primary input and I can't find a single bit of voltage at any of the secondary side connections. The tricky part may be trying to find a new transformer in Canada.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Do you have continuity on the primary side?

If not, M Code's breaker theory may be correct.

I sure don't know UL/CSA specs for consumer transformers, though. Seems like that would be handled elsewhere. But I don't know.

--

Anyway, no output (assuming AC and not DC input) is not a good sign.

--

Pioneer Parts:

Website lists a Remote Control only.

I had a power supply trouble in Sony HDRadio - dead on arrival, from a third party seller, as they had already been discontinued as part of Sony's continuing effort to not sell anything anyone wants, still sealed up tight, so I looked at the Sony Parts site: $219 (the radio was only $99 originally).

I figured it out, though, tiny fusible 1A Fast Blow part on the power supply board, bought 5 (minimum) from a parts house, and fixed it for $5.
After looking, I do see mentions of use-once thermal fuses for the transformers of some 'consumer' items.

Check continuity on the primary side, if none, toast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have continuity on the primary side?

If not, M Code's breaker theory may be correct.

I sure don't know UL/CSA specs for consumer transformers, though. Seems like that would be handled elsewhere. But I don't know.

--

Anyway, no output (assuming AC and not DC input) is not a good sign.

--

Pioneer Parts:

Website lists a Remote Control only.

I had a power supply trouble in Sony HDRadio - dead on arrival, from a third party seller, as they had already been discontinued as part of Sony's continuing effort to not sell anything anyone wants, still sealed up tight, so I looked at the Sony Parts site: $219 (the radio was only $99 originally).

I figured it out, though, tiny fusible 1A Fast Blow part on the power supply board, bought 5 (minimum) from a parts house, and fixed it for $5.
After looking, I do see mentions of use-once thermal fuses for the transformers of some 'consumer' items.

Check continuity on the primary side, if none, toast.
There is no continuity on the primary side.

The power transformer is ATS7434 and lists on pioneer parts site for $118.25, so it is available and not too expensive. The 1325-k is a re-badged Elite VSX-33 more or less with 2 HDMI outputs, so it is defiantly worth saving.

I hope that there are no tiny hidden parts that are blown and causing the real problem, but like you said if there is no continuity on the primary side its toast.

·
Registered
12,309 Posts
UL/CSA have a power transformer temperature spec of 65 degrees C for 60 seconds...
In today's price-point AVRs the power transformers are downsized for cost savings, so they lack high current capability..
Thats why most of those price-point AVRs have a 4/6/8 ohm switching scheme that decreases power supply voltage output, since when driving 4 ohm loudspeakers the current doubles, the power transformer can/will heat up.. Thats why some brands even use a cooling fan for the power transformer.. Fans are cheap, power transformers are expensive..

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.