AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, am I crazy or something.. I could swear I remember reading that there was some sort of speaker impedance selector on my Pioneer vsx-47tx. I just hooked up my new speakers and would like to change this, but I have been through the owners manual during the playback time of my entire Die Hard dvd and still can't find it!

Anyone have a hint? A page #? Anything? Hah.

Thanks,

VegasF6

Oh yeah, P.S. the search function is disabled right now on the server on top of it, so I can't even search for this.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Vegas:

On my 45, I believe you hold down the speaker button while you turn on the receiver to change the impedance! You have to opn up the front panel and use the speaker button.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the speaker select button? (a,b,a+b)?

I just tried that after reading your message, turned unit to standby, held speaker select, hit standby to turn on, the unit stayed off. Tried it again with the power switch, goes into standby mode. So, either I did it wrong, or it is differen't between the 2 receivers.

You would think they would put this in bold type or something! Hah.

Thanks for the reply,

VegasF6

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, ok, just tried again. If I hold the speaker button for about 3 seconds, the display says 6 ohm. However, I can't figure out a way to switch it. (yes, I am using 6 ohm speakers, but I wanted to experiment) Is this auto selected or something?

VegasF6

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
When it says 6 Ohm, it has switched (if it operates like a 45). Do it again, and it should say 8 Ohms.

Sorny

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Vegas:

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive- haven't done it in a while.

Sorny's right do the same trick again and it will switch. But, I recommend you leave it on the 8 ohm setting unless you experience problems.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well hell, I feel like a real dumbass here, but I still can't get it. It is stuck in the 6ohm mode, and for all I know has been since day one.

Ok, go REAL slooooooow here for me.

The receiver is ON.

While it is on, I hold the speaker selector button on the front panel, and I simultaneously hit the "standby" button, or the power? I tried both. If I hit power, it goes off, if I hit standby, nothing happens.

Ok, I let go of all the buttons...I hold speaker select again for about 3 seconds, without hitting anything else, just to get my status. It says 6 ohms everytime. Am I just stooopid?

VegasF6

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Vegas:

I heard an old quote once someting like this: There's no dumbass questions only dumbass answers.

I think I've been giving that to you so I copied it out of the manual so you wouldn't have to read my misinterpretations.

Speaker impedance:

You can change the speaker impedance for VSX-45TX but we recommend using speakers with an impedance of 8 §Ù-16 §Ù (the default setting). If you are using 6 §Ù- less than 8 §Ù impedance speakers, you need to change the impedance setting. Use any speaker rated between 6 §Ù-16 §Ù.

First put the receiver in STANDBY mode, then

press the power button while holding down the

SPEAKERS button.The receiver will reset to the new impedance

setting. With this method you can choose the 8 §Ù-16

§Ù setting or the 6 §Ù-8 §Ù setting.

To check which impedance setting

to hold down the SPEAKERS

button for 2-3 seconds. You'll get

a display like these telling you the

speaker impedance setting.

Hope this works ...

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike, you have been super patient with me, I really appreciate that. I have come to the conclusion that the vsx-47tx does not work the same way as the 45. I tried what you posted, and it still is stuck in 6-ohm mode. Also, in addition to the printed manual, I have it on pdf. In adobe acrobat, I did a search for every instance of the word "standby" and the paragraph you posted for me did not show up.

So, although I knew I had read something about this in the past, apparently it was simply another post, not something I found in the manual. It does seem very strange, but somehow the receiver must be able to auto sense this? Tomorrow, when I have more time I am going to hook my 8-ohm speakers back up and see what it tells me.

Thank you again,

VegasF6

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Vegas:

I just checked out your manual and it seems you don't have a selector if I'm reading page 11 right.

Guess those high end jobs with all that power don't need it!

Have fun! and Enjoy.

Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yah, well I guess not, it seems wierd though that it still has the feature where you hold down speaker and see 6 ohms, huh?

No other 47 owners out there yet?

Thanks all

VegasF6

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.