AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I wanted to say thanks for all the great info on this site. I just recently updated all of my major a/v components with lots of input coming from here. I have one issue since hooking everything up which I can not find an already posted solution.

Problem:

I have a VCR connected via Composite cables to my Pioneer elite VSX-81TXV VCR2 input. When I play a tape everything works fine however whenever I pause the tape or hit menu to bring up the VCR menu the picture goes blank. If I hit play the picture will come back.

Troubleshooting so far:

Changed cables Problem still there

Connected VCR directly to TV (JVC 46inch LCD) No picture problems

This leads me to believe it is an issue with the reciever and not the tv or VCR.

Any ideas???

TIA

Mike

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
I don't think its an issue, just the way the receiver handles it....

I have the same receiver, but haven't encountered this.

Do you have the TV connected via HDMI cable... so its upconverting?

maybe try componenet in and out to tv, and see if problem remains...

Warp

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
That does sound strange though.. Im running 2 pieces of equipment out of my 81, Dish network receiver, and XBOX MC which is hooked up to component in and upconvert to hdmi out to the plasma... When I first start my xbox I get no picture as it takes a bit for it to come up, then it is solid on, and I have no issues at all...

Did you check in the setup menu, and make sure all settings are correct to in and out from that connnection. Also there is a button on remote that changes your input level, (not at home right now) top left corner of the circle buttons.

Other then that, I would email Pioneer support and see what they say...

Sorry I couldn't be more help.. does sound like a strange issue...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Some receivers with hdmi upconversion lack TBC (time base correction). More expensive vcr's used to have this built in, however new lower end ones don't. That is what is causing your problem. Some new higher end receivers do employ TBC.

·
Banned
2,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyetc /forum/post/0

Some receivers with hdmi upconversion lack TBC (time base correction). More expensive vcr's used to have this built in, however new lower end ones don't. That is what is causing your problem. Some new higher end receivers do employ TBC.

If the TBC was the problem you wouldn't see any tape playback, as that's the signal that need time base correcting. The menu/OSD doesn't.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.