AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I've got the VSX-918V Pioneer Receiver.

Finally bought enough HDMI cables so I don't need to switch anymore between all the devices.
But there is something I don't understand.

There are 2 inputs for HDMI, got a mediaplayer and my PS4. When switching between those by pressing the DVD and TV button, then it goes to the PS4 or to the mediaplayer.

But one of them doesn't have sound, thats because the COAX setting is set to one of the (DVD or TV)

But when I want to hear the sound, I need to set this setting but that isn't logical to me.
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX and there i need to switch between the DVD or TV. But why? :confused:

I've only put the inputs on HDMI ...

I hope that you guys understand my problem (my english is not the best)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've already done that.
But it's not logic that i need to set the 'coax' setting for sound, right?

If I set the COAX on TV than I've only sound when its on TV button. When i go to the DVD button, then I've no sound until i reassign COAX to DVD ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not understanding. You are using only hdmi inputs? and the avr changes the assignment from hdmi to coax after you set it to hdmi?
There are 2 inputs for HDMI, got a mediaplayer and my PS4. When switching between those by pressing the DVD (mediaplayer) and TV (ps4) button, then it goes to the PS4 or to the mediaplayer.

But if the next setting: 'SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX' is set at DVD. Than I've sound from the mediaplayer.
But when I switch to my PS4 than I've no sound. The 'COAX' setting doesn't seem to change. I need to change that setting to TV and than i've sound.

So that is the problem..

But actually I don't understand what the setting 'COAX' has to do with this?
I've got the input with HDMI so the sound should go through the HDMI input??? And has nothing to do with the COAX settings?!?!?

I think its weird so thats why its difficult to explain ..
I know how to set the INPUTS, but i dont know why i need to change the 'coax' setting if the input is from the HDMI? Is that the simple question??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This are the settings of the inputs ..

SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 1 -> TV
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 2 -> DVD

I've no optical cable in use.

If i want to use the 'TV' i need to change this setting
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX -> TV

If i want to use the 'TV' i need to change this setting
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX -> DVD

But why? I don't need any COAX??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So after you set HDMI as the input mode it changes back to coax by itself? That sounds like a defect. Otherwise I'm still not understanding the issue.
No you're not understanding the issue.

The input mode isn't changing.

But for the SOUND, i need to set the COAX setting.

When I use these settings
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 1 -> TV
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> HDMI IN -> HDMI 2 -> DVD
SETUP -> IN ASSIG. -> DIG. IN -> COAX -> OFF Then there is no sound at all on both (TV and DVD)

So why do i need to set the COAX to TV or DVD to get sound?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
So when you set the inputs to hdmi, you get no audio at all? What happens if you do not set coax to off? Still no sound? The receivers often take the input in a hierarchy, usually hdmi would override coax....I have a Pioneer 919 and never had any issues with assignment but it has been a long while....but that unit did develop hdmi issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
So when you set the inputs to hdmi, you get no audio at all? What happens if you do not set coax to off? Still no sound? The receivers often take the input in a hierarchy, usually hdmi would override coax....I have a Pioneer 919 and never had any issues with assignment but it has been a long while....but that unit did develop hdmi issues.
But I don't have any input on the COAX? Like the picture you can see i only use the HDMI .. Or do i miss something here ... is here something i don't understand?

Why do i need anyway to set the coax setting? Can you explain that to me? :grin:

In this setting is HDMI 1 (tv) in use... But the sound is only there if i set the coaxial to TV...........

What I set at DVR is an other device that doesn't matter for this.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
But I don't have any input on the COAX? Like the picture you can see i only use the HDMI .. Or do i mis something here ... is here something i don't understand?

Why do i need anyway to set the coax setting? Can you explain that to me? :grin:
I don't see why you should have to do anything but tell it you're assigning an input to hdmi 1 or hdmi 2. I'll play with my 919 later to see if any revelations come out of it....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't see why you should have to do anything but tell it you're assigning an input to hdmi 1 or hdmi 2. I'll play with my 919 later to see if any revelations come out of it....
OK! Thanks already!

I hope that you understand what i try to explain.
It's just weird that i need to assign the coaxial input for only the sound but all the signals (video and audio) comes from the HDMI ..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.