AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello,

I bought this beast about 5 years ago or so. I just pulled it out and hooked it up in our new house. I ran into some troubles maybe you guys can help me out.

I only have 5 speakers and a SW with this guy. Two up front, one in the center, and the other two behind me. When I run the MCACC with that setup it tells me there is a SB Error. However, when I hook those guys to to the Surround output, the MCACC runs fine and gives me no troubles. I do not see where you can deactivate the side speakers and only run 5. There is an option to turn off the back speakers. Which is not what I want.So unless I hook up the rear speakers to the side, I cannot get the MCACC to work. Is this the case? Am I only going to get what I want if I don't get what I want?

Also, the setup of this system is a rubiks cube. I know enough about A/V but I want to know why there is so many different options for EQ and whatnot. I always run my stuff on EXT. STEREO because it is the only one that sounds best. But I know for a FACT I am not gaining any better sound. I have Polk Definitive speakers, so I know they can sound a lot better then what I am hearing. Does anyone know of a place I can go to get a breakdown of what all the EQ's mean and what is the best to run on everything?

Thanks in advance. I really hope I get some answers here.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a VSX-42, and had a VSX-1121 before that, and I also like the Ext Stereo mode best for music and regular TV. For Blue Rays and DVDs, I go with the Auto Surround, but you sometimes have to go into the disc menu and select the highest level soundtrack. On the 1121, I used to apply the THX processing on top of the DD or DTS soundtrack - it just sounded better to me. I don't have that on the 42, so I go with the DD or DTS as is.

The recommended position for the rear speakers is to the sides in a 5.1, so if I were you, I'd just go with what MCACC seems to like. Then change it. I hated what MCACC did for my 1121, and I individually set every channel by ear, and with the classic V-shaped eq curve. It sounded fantastic after I did that. Unfortunately a lightning strike took out the 1121, and I picked up the 42. It's fine, but not as adjustable. It's also much smaller and lighter, btw. I'm convinced many people would be enjoying their systems a lot more if they let the auto calibration software do its thing, then change it to what sounds better to them. Do you end up with a flat response? Who cares? Go with what you enjoy listening to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I hear what your saying about letting the MCACC do what it wants and then change it. 

However, that does not solve my problem with the hook up with the speakers.

Right now, I have them (rear speakers) hooked up to "Surround back", with this hookup, the MCACC fails and says there is a Error with the back speakers. [Keep in mind that when I run the MCACC I hear the static sound that it needs, however, when I switch to TV, there is NO SOUND coming from them at all.

When I hook them up to "Surround" which is the side speakers, the MCACC runs great and the setup finishes, however, there is very little sound coming out. I mean you have to put your ear to the speaker to even hear anything.

The speakers are not blown, that was my first troubleshoot. I hooked them up to the front lines and they worked fine.

In regards to tweeking the system, that is where my mind turns blank. It honestly would be better for me if I just left the MCACC doing its thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts