AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

Just hooked up my new Pioneer VSX-94THX to the Satellite box. Everything seems to be ok; however I can no longer get subtitles that I used to have while watching the TV from my Sat box.

Can anyone tell me where to look? I went through the entire Pioneer manual, sat manual, tv manual... nothing seems to make it work.

I have 52" XBR4 TV if that matters.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Subtitles or closed captions?

Subtitles over sat are usually an overlay directly over the running video for HD, for SD that are more often contain in the black bars of a letter box wide screen picture and if you zoom the content so the aspect is correct you often loose them.

I'm still not sure exactly what your talking about though. Clarify....

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
I bet he means close captions. From what I understand, close captions are usually not carried over by digital connections like DVI or HDMI. Hence most STBs now have their own cc functionality to embed cc overlay to the video they send out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, my apology. I meant Close Captions (CC).

The picture is not zoomed. It's Normal. I tried all video modes.

Why CCs are not carried over by HDMI cable? My Pioneer has a CC option, my TV also has it and my Sat box also has CC option. This option is enabled on all three units. Why HDMI prevents CC from displaying?

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Common issue is all I can say.

I have the least of experience with it, but I have seen several posts on here with no real resolution on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Your satellite tuner should be able to display the CC over the video, so that they are displayed via HDMI. What brand/model satellite tuner do you have?

Greg

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Viewsat Ultra 2000. It does display CC via Video. That Sat is connected to my Pioneer Receiver via component cable, and then I have HDMI coming to my TV from the Receiver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just read a bunch of forums re: this issue... As far as I can tell - there is no solution at all.

Thanks to all who replied.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts