AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the european equivalent to the above models and have an issue with DVD- Audio Discs :

I have the above combo and have noticed an issue with the I Link connection in Pure Audio mode using some (not all) DVD-Audio discs

I have spoken to Pioneer who have asked me to email the issue to them so they can pass it to the right department

Here is a copy of the email

Hello Barry,

In regards to our telephone call yesterday, I asked if my issue can be escalated, as I do not feel the explanation I got was the correct one!

My Kit :

Pioneer DV-989AVi-S DVD Player feeding to a Pioneer VSX-AX4Ai-S ia I link Connection

DVD Audio Discs used :

Missy Elliot - So addictive

Alicia Keys - Songs in a minor

From the front row - Teddy Pendergrass

The Eagles Hotel California

The Issue :

When using the i-link connection I can get full 5.1 surround sound using the VSX-AX4Ai-S's Auto Surround and Direct sound function - However when I switch it to Pure Direct (the Holy Grail) the right rear channel is MISSING.

Your probable diagnosis that the discs must have been recorded with a rear mono channel is incorrect as when i switch it to HDMI through Pure Audio I can get full unadulterated 96khz 5.1 surround sound

I also have the lower spec Pioneer DV 600-AV that can output all 5.1 channels @ 96khz via the HDMI link - so the mono rear channel recording theory cant be right

The only disc that I own which does not have this problem ( missing right rear channel in Pure Direct mode) is the

From the front row - Teddy Pendergrass (DVD-Audio)

I have done a full reset on both the Pioneer's with no joy

I did see something on the Net that some Pioneer Players manufactured in 1995 (mine) had an issue with non playing Discs - here is the Link - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3424/381240225NoticeWithExhibitsDVDPlayers.pdf whether this is related or not, only you can advise

Please can you aknowledge this email for me and pass it on to the relevant experts in this field

Thanks Barry - looking forward to hearing from you soon

Best Wishes

Anyone else with this issue?

Cheers ken

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/20787912

When using the i-link connection I can get full 5.1 surround sound using the VSX-AX4Ai-S's Auto Surround and Direct sound function - However when I switch it to Pure Direct (the Holy Grail) the right rear channel is MISSING.

I also have the lower spec Pioneer DV 600-AV that can output all 5.1 channels @ 96khz via the HDMI link - so the mono rear channel recording theory cant be right

So if you play the discs in the DV600 via HDMI, and set the AVR to Pure Direct, it all works correctly?

And the same if you play the discs in the AX4Ai via HDMI in Pure Direct?

Quote:
I did see something on the Net that some Pioneer Players manufactured in 1995 (mine) had an issue with non playing Discs

Their description says nothing about audio problems. Looks unrelated to your situation.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler /forum/post/20788208

So if you play the discs in the DV600 via HDMI, and set the AVR to Pure Direct, it all works correctly?

Their description says nothing about audio problems. Looks unrelated to your situation.

Hi Roger - Yes all perfect - 5.1 surround at 96khz

Yes both DV600 and DV-79AVi can output full 5.1 96khz out the HDMI in to the AX4ais

Pioneer UK said it only affected USA players - they also suggested that I may have come across a bug that no-one else has noticed? surely not?!

Any out there that can replicate this because its going to bug the hell out of me until there is a solution!!

any Ideas

Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no one else has this issue??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone?

·
Registered
10,261 Posts
I've owned Pioneer US versions 49TXi, 59TXi, and SC09tx (your LX90) with both 47Ai and 59AVi (still own & use) players. All of them worked flawlessly. At no time did I ever experience the loss of any channel with any SACD or DVD-A disc in any mode, including Pure Direct.

IMO, Pioneer fed you a big line of bull-pucky which makes no sense

A channel is a channel, even if its mono - never heard of any 5.1 disc mastered like the old matrixed surround Prologic days - it would still be reproduced in both rear channels with Pure Direct. I uess it's possible but hard to believe a recording studio or mastering shop would release a disc with a channel "missing" that way. Defies logic & the imagination.

IMO, either one of 2 possibilities

1 - you have some defective/flawed discs

2 - one of your devices has developed a problem

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet & take to service shop or auth service center & let them check them out.

The reason you get all channels with Auto Surround is its adding processing which is deriving that missing channel from the fronts. In Direct & Pure Direct you should be getting exactly what's on the disc.

You could try using the 5.1 analog outputs into your AVR & see if all channels are reproduced that way...that could eliminate the player is OK or not.

Does the happen with SACD's?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/20807891

I've owned Pioneer US versions 49TXi, 59TXi, and SC09tx (your LX90) with both 47Ai and 59AVi (still own & use) players. All of them worked flawlessly. At no time did I ever experience the loss of any channel with any SACD or DVD-A disc in any mode, including Pure Direct.

IMO, Pioneer fed you a big line of bull-pucky which makes no sense

A channel is a channel, even if its mono - never heard of any 5.1 disc mastered like the old matrixed surround Prologic days - it would still be reproduced in both rear channels with Pure Direct. I uess it's possible but hard to believe a recording studio or mastering shop would release a disc with a channel "missing" that way. Defies logic & the imagination.

IMO, either one of 2 possibilities

1 - you have some defective/flawed discs

2 - one of your devices has developed a problem

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet & take to service shop or auth service center & let them check them out.

The reason you get all channels with Auto Surround is its adding processing which is deriving that missing channel from the fronts. In Direct & Pure Direct you should be getting exactly what's on the disc.

You could try using the 5.1 analog outputs into your AVR & see if all channels are reproduced that way...that could eliminate the player is OK or not.

Does the happen with SACD's?

Hi Mate thanks for the post

Its perfect with SACD's (Direct & Pure Direct via I-Link) just the issue with certain DVD-Audio discs - these discs are not copies - they are genuine

I will try the analogue cables and see if i can replicate the same issue/fault

Regards - Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/20807943

Hi Mate thanks for the post

Its perfect with SACD's (Direct & Pure Direct via I-Link) just the issue with certain DVD-Audio discs - these discs are not copies - they are genuine

I will try the analogue cables and see if i can replicate the same issue/fault

Regards - Ken

Tried the analogue cables into the multi channel ins of the amp - and it all works perfect - switch back to I-Link and the rear right channel is missing in pure direct mode folkes

anyone got my exact configuration?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by nek
Tried the analogue cables into the multi channel ins of the amp - and it all works perfect - switch back to I-Link and the rear right channel is missing in pure direct mode folkes

anyone got my exact configuration?

^

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
anyone

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nek /forum/post/20827701

anyone

Don't have that type of setup, but I do have the Elite 79AVi. The 79AVi will not do DVD-A or SACD over HDMI. It says so in the manual and all test reports on that player. It has be connected by the analog outs. Wrong version of HDMI for that use. One of the bugs for that player. So if you want to use it for SACD/DVD-A leave it connected by the analogs. If you want to use a player by HDMI I suggest stepping up to the OppoBd 93 if possible.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20827740

Don't have that type of setup, but I do have the Elite 79AVi. The 79AVi will not do DVD-A or SACD over HDMI. It says so in the manual and all test reports on that player. It has be connected by the analog outs. Wrong version of HDMI for that use. One of the bugs for that player. So if you want to use it for SACD/DVD-A leave it connected by the analogs. If you want to use a player by HDMI I suggest stepping up to the OppoBd 93 if possible.

It will do dvd-audio via hdmi but not sacd - this issue i have is via I link

Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone??

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Two thoughts

1) swap to a new I-link cable

2) chose the other I-link port (you have two right) and see if the behavior persists.

I'm betting bad cable or connector on one of the boards.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso /forum/post/20851423

Two thoughts

1) swap to a new I-link cable

2) chose the other I-link port (you have two right) and see if the behavior persists.

I'm betting bad cable or connector on one of the boards.

I did think on a new cable but why would it work on some dvd-audio discs?? will try it though to eliminate it - I have already tried the other available ports on both machines - Pioneer UK have said that they have the same set up as me and the engineers are working on it to see if they can replicate the issue

Ken

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tried brand new I link Cable and still the issue exists - Pioneer seem to be taking ages to get back to me on this very issue and thay say they are working on it - Am I the only person in the world that has noticed this issue!!??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts