AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been told that the vt25 plasma should be plugged directly into the wall, does anyone else do this? I had it plugged into a surge protector but experienced problems. Panasonic has informed that the tv has a built in protection for surges. is this safe ?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
What kind of problems?

Good news is that surge protection is highly over-hyped. Typical consumer electronics are inherently protected against surges of at least 600 to 800 volts according to Martzloff, an engineer that spent most of his professional career researching surges and surge protection. Of course, that doesn't mean you cannot experience a damaging surge. Highest likely surge could be on the order of 6000V and 3000A on the branch circuit your TV is plugged into. Most surges will be a lot less.

I wouldn't be surprised if your TV has MOVs protecting the AC input, but I don't know. I doubt it has protection for the various AV inputs. Most frequent surge damage for TVs appears to be from the cable input if the posts on this site are any indication.

·
Banned
591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm
I wouldn't be surprised if your TV has MOVs protecting the AC input, but I don't know. ... Most frequent surge damage for TVs appears to be from the cable input if the posts on this site are any indication.
All appliances contain protection. And do not use internal MOVs. MOVs would not be effective when the MOV is too close to electronics and too distant from earth ground.

Some appliances once used MOVs. For example, Apple II. Then Apple stopped using MOVs - having learned from experience.

Most surges are not incoming on the cable. Why would a surge ignore a service entrance ground? Then enter and exit a TV to find earth elsewhere? Surge damage is defined by a connection to earth.

Most common source of destructive surges is AC electric (wires highest on each telephone pole). Incoming on AC mains in a hunt for earth. Into a TV via its power wire. Outgoing to earth via the cable wire. First a surge flows everywhere, simultaneously, in that path. Later one item in that path fails. A TV's cable interface is the weakest link in a connection from cloud to earth. Surge typically is not incoming on cable. Surge is outgoing on cable if the cable (properly installed) is a best connection to earth.

Same damage may also occur if a cable is not earthed to the same electrode used by AC electric.

All appliances contain internal protection. But every homeowner must be concerned by the rare surge that can overwhelm that protection. Therefore informed homeowners always earth one 'whole house' protector. So that protection inside that Panasonic is not overwhelmed by a surge that may occur maybe once every seven years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts