AVS Forum banner

VT25 owners do you have black level problems with your TV?

• I have no black level problems with VT25 I can detect

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have both rising black levels and floating black problems

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been several threads that have mentioned the known issues that the 2010 Panasonic TVs have with black levels. The two problems mentioned are as follows.

1. "floating blacks". This problem is perceived as a change in contrast when a scene or other change happens in the currently displayed picture.

2. "rising black levels". This is a problem that Panasonic has confirmed which consists of gradual reduction in contrast levels over time.

This thread is not an invitation to argue about these issues but simply to gauge owner feedback on these problems, and as such is a public poll. If desired the VT25 owner can provide details about their viewing environment, number of hours on their set, etc.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, poll is finally in the correct place. I realize that there aren't a lot of owners here yet for this series TV, I might try to get a 60 day sticky on this from the moderators so that it can be tracked better over time.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I would also encourage people to let us know the TV size when they vote, thanks.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know, is it? We already have experts telling us that these sets suck because they can see a black level change during set break in when they hook a meter up.

·
Registered
557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/18615967

I don't know, is it? We already have experts telling us that these sets suck because they can see a black level change during set break in when they hook a meter up.

lol. it's just eating you up inside isn't it? you had your heart set on the vt25 but after hearing these reports, you want so badly for it not to be true.

JUST BUY IT IF YOU WANT IT.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18615993

lol. it's just eating you up inside isn't it? you had your heart set on the vt25 but after hearing these reports, you want so badly for it not to be true.

*cough*...

The set I would consider is not available yet (65"). Nothing is eating me up. My SXRD is still serviceable and I can wait another year or two to replace it.

However I think it's valuable to get owner input on these issues, since if you went by the numerous posts on these problems you would believe that after a year or two with these TVs the picture quality is going to be terrible.

This is to get actual owner input, over time, on how these problems are affecting them.

If you don't have anything to add to that discussion then I'd kindly invite you to go bash around in the appropriate threads.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarco /forum/post/18615932

Isn't it too early for anyone to have a VT20/25 with more than 1500 hours on it?

yup pretty much, I got my 50VT25 last week, ran break in slides and one of the fans started making an annoying hum, so I am bringing it back this week. I am also concerned with rising blacks, but compared to my Samsung DLP the picture of the VT blows it out of the water, and even with rising blacks it will still have blacker, blacks than my samsung.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It would be better to split this poll. I can't say anything about my black levels until I hit 1500+ hours which will be quite a while of course. I CAN say that the blacks are awesome right now and that I don't see any floating black.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrist /forum/post/18615993

Where is the professional review of a V25 showing a measured black level rise over time? I have seen the G20 done by d-nice. But not a V25. And obviously there won't be any 58 or 65" measurements yet either since they're not out yet.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
With the 2009 TVs the 58 and 65 inch sets fair much better with a much smaller contrast change over time from the limited data provided.

We can always cross our fingers that Panasonic has this worked out largely or for the most part but I'm not counting on it.

I will wait for independent verification that the problem is eliminated or dialed back to acceptable levels before plunking down for one of these V25 sets.

The poll is simply a good way to get some initial information on what owner impressions are.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also worth pointing out is that some who have voted in this poll probably don't own these TVs.

So, need more data.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought the VT25 and the blacks are excellent! Recently, I have been made aware of the "floating black" issue. I have not been able to detect any such phenomena. I have compared my Panasonic VT25 to my Panasonic CRT 34" TAU and I do not see any unusual rise in black levels. The movie I used to test this is Dark Knight Blu-Ray. The blacks are so deep that they dissapear into the letterboxes.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have some more newish owners of these sets so I wanted to bump the thread.

Please remember that this is a PUBLIC OWNERS poll, so please do not vote if you don't have one of these TVs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am trying to determine if the black levels on my 50VT25 are as good as everyone is saying. In a Dark room, how much of a difference do people see from the black background and or bar, versus the frame? I notice the difference quite well, but only had one previous TV to compare it to (which I do not have now), and the more I watch, the less good I believe the black levels to be (not a floating black issue, just adjusting). Anyone have any pictures they care to share?

I just want to be sure there is no issue with mine since I thought it would be darker

·
Registered
18,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by modestyle /forum/post/19094594

I am trying to determine if the black levels on my 50VT25 are as good as everyone is saying. In a Dark room, how much of a difference do people see from the black background and or bar, versus the frame? I notice the difference quite well, but only had one previous TV to compare it to (which I do not have now), and the more I watch, the less good I believe the black levels to be (not a floating black issue, just adjusting). Anyone have any pictures they care to share?

I just want to be sure there is no issue with mine since I thought it would be darker

Your expectations are higher than what the panel is actually capable of. In a dark room, the blacks on the VT25 will glow and will never "appear" to blend into the bezel except when there is a large amount of bright content on the screen.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If there were no black bars on these movies, the majority of us would stop caring about black level- or if we never watched Master and Commander again.

21:9 plasmas would have most people forgetting about blacks, since blacks are in a place now where critical viewing content looks good at .008 ft/L

·
Registered
803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau /forum/post/19094814

If there were no black bars on these movies, the majority of us would stop caring about black level- or if we never watched Master and Commander again.

21:9 plasmas would have most people forgetting about blacks, since blacks are in a place now where critical viewing content looks good at .008 ft/L

Poor blacks would show themselves in dark, low APL scenes quite clearly in a darkened environment. You don't need letter box bars.

Really in that kind of environment, .008 fL is poor black level for a plasma. .004 fL (8G Kuro, VT25) is tolerable, but not good. .001 fL (9G Kuro) is good but not great. The Sony XEL-1 OLED (0 fL) is perfect, true black.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts