AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had more and more people tell me to return the vt25 and wait for the vt30.I personally love this tv the 3d is flawless, the quality is fantastic in 2d. the blacks are fabulous. Ive had the led as well and this vt25 kicks the hell out of it. My question how serious will the rising blacks be and is this really something to worry about? The vt30 is said to be announced next month, should i return this and wait, or maybe get the samsung 8000 or 7000 do they have the same problems? Im confused because the vt25 won at CES so why the haters?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah
Ive had more and more people tell me to return the vt25 and wait for the vt30.I personally love this tv the 3d is flawless, the quality is fantastic in 2d. the blacks are fabulous. Ive had the led as well and this vt25 kicks the hell out of it. My question how serious will the rising blacks be and is this really something to worry about? The vt30 is said to be announced next month, should i return this and wait, or maybe get the samsung 8000 or 7000 do they have the same problems? Im confused because the vt25 won at CES so why the haters?
Yes, the blacks will gradually rise, but my personal opinion is this has been WAY overblown. Panasonic engineers are not idiots. I find it funny that posters on AVS have decided they know more about TVs than the folks that actually work in the industry. They did it for a reason. At their peak the blacks will still be excellent. My advice is to keep the TV and not get drawn into the paranoia. That TV won awards for a reason.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro
Yes, the blacks will gradually rise, but my personal opinion is this has been WAY overblown. Panasonic engineers are not idiots. I find it funny that posters on AVS have decided they know more about TVs than the folks that actually work in the industry. They did it for a reason. At their peak the blacks will still be excellent. My advice is to keep the TV and not get drawn into the paranoia. That TV won awards for a reason.
you do make a very good point,and the fact is most people on hear probably own the tv, how would i notice this rising black issue and is this the only thing to look out for besides the obvious burn in which can be avoided. The only thing i would change it for is a sammy 7 or 8000

·
Registered
221 Posts
Even with the measured black level rise of 2010 Panasonic plasmas, they still have better measurable black levels than the Samsung 7000 or 8000 plasmas.

The difficulty people have is that a lot of people buy the Panasonic for the blacks and Samsungs for the color accuracy. If the Panasonic's black level rises to close to Samsung levels, what was the point of buying the Panasonic?

It isn't flawed logic and I understand people's frustration. I guess you just have to decide which has the better image quality or the features you want.

I chose the VT20 series myself.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahayeah
you do make a very good point,and the fact is most people on hear probably own the tv, how would i notice this rising black issue and is this the only thing to look out for besides the obvious burn in which can be avoided. The only thing i would change it for is a sammy 7 or 8000
I'm not sure you would notice......

·
Registered
376 Posts
By the way, I'm a Samsung PN63C8000 owner so I'm not a fanboy. The Panny VT25s are excellent. It's just incredible to see folks get worked up in these forums. I would bet that if you had never heard of rising black levels that you'd never even notice. Enjoy your TV.....

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/0

Even with the measured black level rise of 2010 Panasonic plasmas, they still have better measurable black levels than the Samsung 7000 or 8000 plasmas.

The difficulty people have is that a lot of people buy the Panasonic for the blacks and Samsungs for the color accuracy. If the Panasonic's black level rises to close to Samsung levels, what was the point of buying the Panasonic?

It isn't flawed logic and I understand people's frustration. I guess you just have to decide which has the better image quality or the features you want.

You make an excellent point about why folks would get upset. The reason I chose the Samsung over the Panny was price. The Samsung was $450 cheaper. If they had been the same price I would have chosen the VT25. If people perceive they are paying more for a better product then it's worth it, but if that same product gets "worse" then there is an issue. This is an issue of perception. Based upon all the rants you would the think the VT25 starts out with this terrific picture and then degrades into a mess, which of course isn't true. I don't know, I have no say in this, I just find it fascinating. I'd be curious to find out from a VT25 owner if they notice a difference in PQ? I don't think my Samsung has rising blacks, but who knows?

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanplumber /forum/post/19633863

Samsung released a firmware update for the 7000 and 8000 plasmas. They now have black levels around .007 - .008. The VT25 will end up with black levels around .012.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew /forum/post/19635458

Samsung released a firmware update for the 7000 and 8000 plasmas. They now have black levels around .007 - .008. The VT25 will end up with black levels around .012.

Do you believe the human eye can see that difference in a normal viewing environment?

·
Registered
221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew /forum/post/19635458

Interesting. I wasn't aware of a firmware that gave those kind of results.

I would think it might be noticeable in a pitch black room. Not so much so that I'd return my VT20 though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.