AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have VT540,and very happy with it. No problems at all.

I have seen in the forum issues on VT540K, is it an upgraded version? with new functions?. If so, then do

you think the VT540 is upgradable to K series, approx

cost and where.

J.Bin Ishaq

·
Registered
115 Posts
the vt540K is an "updated" vt540. I believe NEC said that they updated the firmware. the range of adjustments for brightness, etc. is different between the two. the vt540K comes with the credit card remote that has aspect ration control on it. and I got a really nice carry case with my vt540K when I bought it. I think they are the only differences. But then I have been wrong too many times before to bother counting.......

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
511 Posts
See these threads: http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006203.html http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/006315.html

Conclusions:

- Not all VT540's & VT540K's have same performance -- some seem to be better than others.

- Differences not explained by K vs. non-K. Also not explained by whether manufactured in China vs. Japan -- though my experience was that assembled in Japan units were superior to made in China.

- I don't believe that upgrade to K model is possible. Don't think that the feature improvements (e.g. aspect ratio on remote) would be worthwhile, in any case.

Regards

BB80301

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Another vt540 owner here as well http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif I would highly suggest doing some searches using vt540k as your search reference. This topic was investigated quite extensively by another user here on the forum. I just can't remember who it was right now (maybe TSO). Anyway, I am not positive about this but I think it was determined that the difference between the two was only where they were manufactured and perhaps a little bit of difference between the firmware.

The strange thing was that people were reporting the vt540k did not produce an image as good as the vt540. Ultimately, I am happy to stick with my vt540.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My understanding after talking to the NEC technical support(which is great by the way) is that the "K" model has understands 480p the non "K" model did not.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
There actually are several new video modes pre-loaded into the firmware for the "K" model - including 480p and some 1600X1200 modes.

Other than that, the new model remote with the "Aspect Ratio" button and the different default image settings are the differences.

Note that if you get a Service projector under the warranty exchange, it will always have updated "K" firmware - depending upon whether it was a "K" or a "pre-K" it may or may not have the new remote, and will have been manufactured either in China (most likely) or Japan.

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.