AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an NEC VT540 projector (no bad pixels!) with S-video input (haven't had chance to wire component video) to my DVD player. I am confused how to get best resolution. Should I choose 4:3 or 16:9 at DVD player? What combination of DVD output and aspect ratio is best? Does this matter if DVD is labelled anamorphic?

-confused!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
setup your DVD player to output 16:9. Then use the aspect ratio control of the projector to make it appear correctly on the screen. What setting you choose will depend on the aspect ratio of the DVD you choose to watch. I don't want to seem overly simplistic. But if the DVD movie you choose to watch is "Full Screen", then you will choose "Normal" on the projector. That will display the movie in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio. A widescreen or anamorphic DVD will require you to choose the "Cinema" setting, and it will display the DVD movie in the correct aspect ratio(be it 1.85:1, 1.78:1, 2.35:1, etc.). Hope that helped. Let us know if there are any other questions.

------------------

-------------------

Shane

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
XrayEyes,

ssangste is right, assuming that you are using a 4:3 screen. Keep in mind that if you are watching a 16:9 (or any other version of widescreen format) you are not getting "all" of the resolution you think. You are not using the full LCD panel to produce the widescreen image. The BEST way to get a widescreen image out of a native 4:3 projector (your VT540) is to run it in 4:3 "normal" mode and use an external lens to adjust the image to "fit" your screen. Panamorph for example makes one of the most popular around here, they are just REALLY hard to come by!

Hope that helps,

Mike

Mike

------------------

Let's go out to the lobby.

Let's go out to the lobby.

To have ourselves a snack!

[email protected]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.