Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all!

It's been a while since I've had enough disposable income to safely venture into these parts, so this is a question for all the VT540 owners out there who also have a 480P source connected via component. I am having a video aberration with this player and I want to know if anyone else has seen something similar.

Just trolling here in case folks don't visit the DVD Players forum...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If you're seeing "tearing" of the image in one corner (everything sharply jags to the left or right), your projector doesn't have the 480p-over-component firmware fix that was released two years ago and you'll need to contact NEC to arrange for an update (although I don't know if they're still doing firmware updates on the discontinued VT540's). If you already have the update and it's something else you're seeing, you'll have to be a bit more specific.

Edit: I didn't see that link to the other forum when I wrote my reply. After reading the description of the problem you are having, it is definitely sounding like you never upgraded your VT540 for 480p-over-component. You wouldn't have this issue with an HTPC because your HTPC is feeding the VT540 an XGA signal and is bypassing the internal scaler altogether. If you want to use a consumer progressive scan DVD player with the VT540, you must send your projector to NEC to get the firmware updated or you won't be able to properly view component 480p.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a problem with sending 480P into my NEC VT460 too. In fact, it's what forced me to return it. Every 160 frames the picture would "roll" -- I'd get half the old frame, and half the new frame, for 6 frames. It was as if the projector was trying to expand 160 frames to 161 frames. This appeared to me as a 1/10 second "glitch" or "jump" every 2.6 seconds.

NEC tried their darnedest to track this one down, and even bought the outboard deinterlacer I was using to convert 480i to 460p (DVDO Iscan Pro). Unfortunately the 30 day window where I could return the projector was expiring fast, so I decided to return the projector rather than chance waiting.

I heard that they may have in fact tracked down the problem and issued a firmware update for it, but I never investigated it as I already returned it. If they did in fact fix it, I greatly regret returning it... I liked the projector a lot otherwise, particularly in light of its low price and high lumens. One of these days I really should post a thorough review.

Bottom line on NEC projectors: Their tech support was amazingly responsive. Yes, I would definitely consider a projector from them again. And with any projector, I would just be sure to have a reasonable return policy and check it out thoroughly immediately.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. Hey Scott, long time.

I forgot all about the firmware deal. I now recall thinking to myself, "Well, I'm never going to feed a 480P DVD player into this thing. I have an HTPC!"... Well, here I am, three years later... It works ok for 480i (and ironically the title of TTT looks better that way), but I'll have to see how much the patch will cost me, as I recall that it is not a user-applied modification. Egads!! It's gonna have to wait until after football season... well, then there's hockey.... so.... next summer it is! ;)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Scott (or anyone so equipped),

Do you still have your VT540 and progressive player? How does this combination compare to having an HTPC in place of the player? I'm not expecting an even match, but am curious if the firmware upgrade is worth the trouble. As I mentioned the 480i performance is passable for some material and I'm curious if the patch would correct, say, the issue with the title in TTT.

Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.