AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the archives to get some initial feel for this, but would really appreciate some additional comments.

I currently have the following setup:

Denon AVR-2802

5 NHT Superones (Mains/Surrounds hung high on front/back walls - WAF)

JAMO A-Sub-3 (10", 150 watts?)

Room Size 20X14 with vaulted ceilings, but the room is fairly closed off.

Based on WAF, the sub must be placed in the front left corner of the room (underneath the left front speaker), behind a large chair and next to a window.

I have carpeted floors and panelled walls (if it matters).

Listening: 80% music, 20% movies

The JAMO sub is ok, but it can get very fuzzy sounding with loud/lower frequencies. I really want a very musical sub (lots of Mahler classical, some rock and jazz ) that would also pass muster on movies. I'm afraid that the VTF-3 is too much sub versus the rest of my set-up. I also would prefer to save the $400 by getting the VTF-2. I called HSU and they were insistent on my getting the VTF-3. However, based on the great reviews for the VTF-2 and the fact that I've never owned anything better than my JAMO, it seems I would be thrilled with the VTF-2.

I could probably afford the VTF-3, but I might have to give up my Rose Bowl trip if my wife knows that I'm spending $900 on a sub.

Thanks for any help!

Scott

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hey Scott,

FYI, I have the VTF-2 and also NHT Superones (fronts only), a NHT supercenter, Boston acoustic surrounds powered by a Denon 1803. My room is smaller, at 15' X 13'10", and my usage is probably the inverse of yours, about 20% music and 80% movies.

I am very satisfied with the VTF-2, mainly because it can get pretty loud in my room with its dimensions of a little bit bigger than 200 sq. ft. I'm guessing that Hsu insisted on the VTF-3 due to your room size. I'm a newbie when it comes to subwoofers, although like most people, I know what I like - but I've never turned the sub past the 9 o'clock position.

I'm guessing (emphasis on guessing) that if I had a room your size, I would still go with the VTF-2, especially with the price difference.

William

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
That room is pretty big for the VTF-2. You might get away with it ifit was in a nearfield placement. On some things, you might run out of headroom (mostly those movies with overbloated LFE (the trend these days.))

With music and movies, you would probably live without the sub 25hz capability of the VTF-3. Worse case, you could get a 2nd VTF-2 or by then, you could sneak the sub to behind the sofa for nearfield placement.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
There are a few things to consider here ... you don't seem to care that much about HT, so the VTF-2 should do okay in that regard. The only thing I'd worry about is the fact that the room is a tad large, so you won't be able to hit really loud levels with lower frequencies.

What you should be more concerned about is the types of classical music you listen to. If you like listening to music with pipe organs, you should really consider the VTF-3. You'll completely miss out on the largest pipes with the VTF-2. Plus, you'll get louder volumes with a VTF-3.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I own both, in different rooms.

The 2 is pretty amazing for its size. All of what the others has said is true but I believe you'll be very happy with the two. If not trade it up. All you lose is the freight cost and that's a fair exchange for testing in in your home.

patrick

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Save some money are get the Adire Audio Dharman instead. It uses a 12" woofer ported in a much larger cabinet. Which means that it will go louder in the low notes than the VTF-3. Tom Nousainne reviewed it and said that the measured performance equaled the Velodyne HGS-15 ($2500), and for only $600.

James

·
Banned
806 Posts
Are you kidding me?

Even a single VTF-2 in max output mode hit 109.7db

The VTF-3 can play louder and lower than a VTF-2. However, what product to choose will depend on the room size, program material used, and of course budget.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Here's a quote about the VTF-2 in "The Essential Subwoofer Buyer's Guide", published by Widescreen Review:

"In the 25Hz tuning position (with one port plugged), ouput levels reached 108 dB at 45Hz, 108 dB at 40Hz, 107 dB at 35Hz, 109 dB at 30Hz, and 104dB at 25Hz with some signs of distress."

Sounds good enough for me. The VTF-3 may play about 5 Hz lower, and maybe 3-4 dB louder, but for roughly the same price you can have two VTF-2's. That has its own advantages, particularly in smoothing of room modes with careful attention to placement.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help all.

I'm really wondering how the VTF-2 compares to the VTF-3 in terms of musicality. I don't think I'll really miss the extra 5hz of bass, nor will I ever be pushing the decibal limit of the VTF-2. I would like to be able to turn off my main speakers and hear very clear bass out of the sub. Will the VTF-2 suffice? My current sub plays loud enough for me, it's just fairly distorted.

Also, I was even considering the SVS 25-31 plus model. Most of the reviews call the HSU subs more musical, so that's where I've been looking. Are we talking about very small degrees of difference?

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
Get the VTF-3. You've got a large room and you'll run out of headroom with the 2. With the 3, you will have no regrets, with the 2 you might.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I swear to you. VTF3 will knock your filling lose and make you swallow your gum. It is that strong.

For most people, vtf2 will do just fine..... just fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
In a fairly closed off room of 20X14, the VTF-2 should do fine down to a little below 25 Hz . If there were big openings in the room, the sound might not be as loud. You might need some careful placement to get the sound as loud as you like. You could move the sub closer to the listener, behind or to the side of the couch, and it will be much louder and deliver more nearfield chest thump. If you want some more advice, you can fax your room plan to Dr. Hsu at 1-714-666-9261 and get his opinion as well.

Keep in mind that the VTF-2 can go another 2 and half dB or so louder if you open up both ports. Well known subwoofer reviewer Tom Nousaine measured the VTF-2 at a 107.1 dB with one port open, and a 109.7 average with two ports in his 13 x 23 ft room.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A 1220 would be fine also, but less cost effective. A 1220 will be much louder and go down well below 20Hz. Reviewer Don Keele found it to go down to 12.5 Hz at 101 dB. We rate it down to 20Hz plus or minus 1 dB, and Don found it to go down to 15 Hz plus or minus 3 dB. The 1220 with 250 watt amp retails for $849, so unless Sperlsco wants to risk missing his Rosebowl trip, the VTF-2 is more cost effective. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.