AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a VTF-2 and I am wondering whether I am missing something significant by not going to the VTF3.

I have heard the Aperion 10" and thought it was too overwhelming even at 1/2 the output setting (I was comfortable with it at 1/3 setting). So I decided the VTF-2 would be adequate.

The reason I am wondering is that I see people getting 2 VTF-3 and 2 SVS subs for their rooms and wonder why they would need so much bass? Any thoughts?

Also when does a sub bottom? Does it have to do with driver size, output level? Is a VTF-2 more likely to bottom out than a VTF-3?

Incidentally my family room combined with the kitchen would be about 30x15x8 (LxWxH). My distance from the sub would be about 15'.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I got the VTF-3 because it goes deeper and louder. My room is 14x18x9, and the listening area is about 9 feet from the sub. I'm sure the VTF-2 would have been fine, but since I could afford it, I went bigger. Incidently, judging by the volume knob on the VTF-3, I only have the it up less than a quarter of a turn, and it is cut 3db on my receiver as well.

Did you send your room dimensions to Hsu Research and ask for a recommedation?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wasnt aware of the facility (to send hsuresearch the room dimensions) until today.

cschang:

Would you say that the VTF-2 at a higher volume level would be able to duplicate the VTF-3 at the lower volume level?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by petiteface
Would you say that the VTF-2 at a higher volume level would be able to duplicate the VTF-3 at the lower volume level?
Well...not totally, because the VTF-3 can go lower. If cost is an issue, call Hsu and ask about "B" stock. Where are you located?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
Incidently, judging by the volume knob on the VTF-3, I only have the it up less than a quarter of a turn, and it is cut 3db on my receiver as well.
Same here. I have the level knob of my VTF-3 at 9 o'clock position, and my Pioneer 45TX still trims it a few dB down after the MCACC. My room is approximately 18' x 23' x 10'.

petiteface, I am sure you have read through all the published reviews on the VTF-2 and VTF-3 that are cited in the Hsu web site. From those reviews, you get a good idea of what you do/don't miss in the VTF-2...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.