AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was the one who originally started the VTF-3 mk3 vs. PB12-NSD. I chose the VTF3 mk3 and have been very happy with it. There were some people who wanted pictures so here they are.

I am using it in a nearfield situation (as you will see with the pictures) and am amazed at how watching a movie has turned into a visceral thing. I put Saving Private Ryan in and skipped to the end with the tanks and even before the tanks appeared around the building, I could FEEL the foreshadowing (does this statement make sense) of the coming scene.

All in all, I have been extremely happy with this sub. I believe that my home theater has progressed a step forward.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Thank you very very much. Those are great pics. Especially details on the amp. I have really been wanting to see the back of the amp. That pretty much answered all the questions I had.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Jeff.......wouldn't you agree that the PB-12NSD looks about 10 times nicer than that HSU? The finish, the corners, the design of the cover....

Even the look of the subwoofer itself....the HSU looks like something from walmart...its like glossy paper....

Plus the amp for some reason looks generic.

Hard to believe that the performance of the 3.3 is a little better than the PB-12NSD...

Shows you that looks don't mean everything...LOL

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Wish they carried it in rosewood or dark cherry.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

Hard to believe that the performance of the 3.3 is a little better than the PB-12NSD...

Sensible Sound/Howard Ferstler gave the 3.3 a thumbs up over the PC-Ultra

Man...you must think the PC-Ultra is a rip-off.

They have the cover of the current issue on the website now:

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

Jeff.......wouldn't you agree that the PB-12NSD looks about 10 times nicer than that HSU? The finish, the corners, the design of the cover....

Even the look of the subwoofer itself....the HSU looks like something from walmart...its like glossy paper....

Plus the amp for some reason looks generic.

Shows you that looks don't mean everything...LOL

Yes, the SVS build quality seems to be a lot better than the HSU and it is a lot nicer looking. Very solid, rounded edges, no seams. It's just put together very well. The HSU isn't bad looking, just not as nice as the SVS. But ya know, I really don't care too much about the looks. What I care about is which one sounds better, that all I care about. The sub is going to go into a corner and when the lights are out and the movie is playing, looks don't count for anything.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The volume level at the time I took the pictures was extremely low since I have a 7 month old and the wife said that if I cause her crib to shake upstairs, I am going to be in big trouble.
Usually, I have it somewhere between the first and second marks. Any higher and the wine bottles in the wine rack start shaking.

I am also still working on calibrating the HSU but I need to get my spl meter back from my friend.

Anyone else with this sub...where do you have the volume notch?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Different receivers put out different voltage levels, and even moving gain knob a tiny smidgen can change the level by a dB or two. Yes, you need that SPL meter back.

I currently have my VTF-3 MK2's gain knob past 1/2 way, about 1/2 way to the next tick past 50%. But I have the sub level way down in the receiver (so it doesn't clip going into the BFD) and a ton of cut frequencies in my BFD. Before I added the BFD, my gain was set to 1/2 way between 0 and the first tick on the knob.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman4799 /forum/post/0

cyberbri,

What did adding the BFD do to your system. What you just explained on your old setting is excatly where mine is set.

Later, Daman

When I got the sub, first I added room treatments from GIK Acoustics. I got a couple of thinner panels for the sides, first reflection points. This cut down on the reflections from that first reflection point on either side, got ride of smearing / combing, and really opened up and made the soundstage much bigger. I'm hearing more of the speakers and less of the room. I also got bass traps for the front corners. These are thicker panels that absorb bass so there's less cancellation. This helped smooth the frequency response a bit (more traps smooths the response more), and got rid of ringing and boominess (you don't know it's even there until you hear it with that nasty stuff gone), so the bass became much tighter and more detailed.

But being the perfectionist that I am, I wanted to really get the frequency response flat. So I added a Behringer Feedback Destroyer, aka BFD.

I have a lot of graphs here, although none without the bass traps (I should take some...):
http://forum.hsuresearch.com/showthread.php?t=2533

But basically what I was able to do was evaluate the frequency response of the sub (and mains where they overlap), and apply filters that altered the signal being output to achieve a flatter frequency response. The attached image shows a graph that is very close to how I have it set now (shows sub and where the Ascend 340SEs overlap up to 200Hz). I tweaked a few filters after taking the graph, but it's almost exactly the same as in the graph. This is my VTF-3 MK2 in Max Extension mode, 1 port plugged, 180deg phase setting, sub crossover off.

Like I said, I decreased the sub level on the receiver quite a lot so the signal doesn't enter the BFD clipped (my HK puts out a very strong sub/voltage signal). And I used a lot of cuts in the BFD. So to compensate I turned up the sub's gain to get the right level. I'm now running about 3dB hot over the mains.

What eq'ing the subwoofer virtually flat has done, on top of the tightening of the bass with the bass traps, is to let me hear all the bass notes at their proper volume, with a nice house curve rise in the low 20s where most music doesn't touch, but provides great slam for movies. I hear so much texture and detail in music and sound, it's unbelievable. I know part of that is the quality of the HSU, but a lot of it is the bass traps as well, plus eqing the response flat. I'd rather have a $470 VTF-2 MK3 with some bass traps and a BFD than a VTF-3 MK3 with no bass traps or BFD - that's how much the bass traps and eq improves the sound... (of course, ideally I'd have 2x VTF-3.3s, with bass traps and a BFD, hehe).

·
Registered
475 Posts

Quote:
I really don't care too much about the looks. What I care about is which one sounds better, that all I care about. The sub is going to go into a corner and when the lights are out and the movie is playing, looks don't count for anything.

Absolutely its about the sound whenever I buy audio equipment. I will aways choose something that sounds the best over something that looks the best every time. I can live with a non furniture grade finish on a subwoofer but I would hate myself and cringe ever time I listened ..... if it didn't sound "first class".

Ddavidson

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Does anyone have pics of the actual new driver HSU is using? I'd love to see the basket and magnet. I'm sure somewhere on this forum there are pics. How about pics of the inside of the box itself? There has to be some major engineering going on in these subs.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.