AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an Hsu Research VTF2 MK4 almost 3 years ago. Yesterday, it appears the amplifier died (based on the troubleshooting guide and Hsu's reply). I've never run it hard, so that's surprising that it wouldn't even last 3 years.

Is my only option to get a new amplifier from Hsu? They were very prompt to respond and quoted me $130+$25 S/h (+ my shipping costs to them).

Is there a more... reliable/better alternative? (the sub is still under my CC's additional year warranty, so they should cover the repairs, but I don't want to go through this ordeal in another few years again; I'd rather do it right the first time).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I agree with Shady, for that price its a a no brainier. Your getting the amp with the eq, limiters, and other tunings for that sub. That's not a bad price for a replacement amp.

You might also be able to extend your amp warranty (ask HSU about this) I think they have this option for an extra fee.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it, thanks! I'll send in my amp this week for replacement.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Disappointing that the amp didnt last longer. How do you have it set up?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Disappointing that the amp didnt last longer. How do you have it set up?
What do you mean? I followed the instructions from HSU ( I forget the details, plug some ports run Audessey, change the EQ setting, etc.), it's hooked up to my receiver, I ran Audessey, and we generally don't watch movies louder than -20dB from reference... so we don't push it hard at all.

I send it in for a quote. I misunderstood, the $130+$25S/H is to fix the amp. If it needs replacement, they said it'd be more (I didn't get a quote over the phone).

Attached is a photo of the damage. Something burned/exploded on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
I'm only curious, but ...

. LFE or high level input
. Cross over IN (high level inputs)
. # of ports sealed
. EQ1 or EQ2
. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7....
. Gain/Vol setting

You dont have to go into details, I'm interested in how others use theirs. I'm new to Hsu. :)

Yeah, some magic smoke definitely got released there. :-\

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Unfortunately, you will find that sub amps from any manufacturer are pretty unreliable, Hsu, Sunfire, Polk, Velodyne, JL Audio...

Problem is that sub amps are driven to high volumes with a lot of dynamics... Add the fact that most of the sub amps are designed by third parties and to keep costs down, they have rather cheap components. To compound matters, most subs are not in a sealed separate enclosure and are subject to high pressures when the driver is moving. I have had several subs and about half have died. A Sunfire, a Polk and a Velodyne (currently, I have a Def tech and a DIY unit).

Before you think I overdrive my subs, that is simply NOT the case. My subs are calibrated and the volume I normally listen is about 90 dB. Very rarely will the system hit 100dB.

Reactions: Questions123

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm only curious, but ...

. LFE or high level input
. Cross over IN (high level inputs)
. # of ports sealed
. EQ1 or EQ2
. 0.3, 0.5, 0.7....
. Gain/Vol setting

You dont have to go into details, I'm interested in how others use theirs. I'm new to Hsu. :)

Yeah, some magic smoke definitely got released there. :-\
I'm sure a lot of this is user preference
LFE
Gain/Volume --> Audessey, I think it tunes it to 75dB or something
1 port sealed
I can't remember, I think EQ2...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts