AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman64 /forum/post/0

Any suggestions on whether to order the VTF3.3 with or w/o turbo?

I decided to return my PB12-NSD and go for the 3.3. For only $100 more (+$25 shipping), I can't imagine it's a big gamble.

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the SVS PB12-NSD?

What are your room dimensions in cubic feet?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I did not elect for the Turbo on my MK3. My room is 3400 c/f. Can't say that I know what I'm missing. Sound is awesome.

Also, I spoke to Dr. Hsu himself and he said I should like it fine without the Turbo with that size room.

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
Well, personally, I would most certainly get the turbo, but if you are not overly concerned with stronger output below 22 Hz or so, then don't. I would though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan1000 /forum/post/0

Out of curiosity, what didn't you like about the SVS PB12-NSD?

What are your room dimensions in cubic feet?

The "manspace" is approx. 2500 cubic ft. I want to buy as much sub as I can and keep it for when I move into/build a larger home.

The PB12-NSD is a great subwoofer. I was looking for more punch. I will likely experiment more with nearfield placement when I get the VTF3.3. For now, the Vandersteens will have to pickup the low end.

As an engineer (electrical), a semi-pro musician and project studio owner, I appreciate the way the VTF tuning can be configured vs a single tuned sub. The VTF3 has done very well in the reviews with regard to music reproduction and home theater and with the option to switch to Max extension and add the turbo, I think it is more flexible.

With only a $50 price difference (until the end of Jan when I called HSU), I think it is a better value. And the turbo is only $100 more when ordered with the sub.

Granted, I ate the shipping costs for the SVS, but I feel I am still ahead considering the VTF3.3 is more comparable to the Plus or Ultra subs in the SVS lineup.

SVS is definitely a quality outfit, same as HSU from what I know. They both represent incredible values compared to the overpriced, overmarketed stuff you'll find in the BB & CC stores IMHO.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
fleaman64

thanks for the far comparision. I agree right now Hsu is very competive but I'm not sure it was wise to shut down there dealers but that not my choice. I agree with what you siad its sad that in the retail market its hard to find somthing that can be called a sub for a resonible price there is relly not many products under 2k that are worth looking into.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
If you don't crank your sub to reference levels or play any pipe organ music does the turbo have any real advantage? Does it increase the quality of bass from 22hz on up.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/13000036

If you don't crank your sub to reference levels or play any pipe organ music does the turbo have any real advantage? Does it increase the quality of bass from 22hz on up.

I just spoke to Pete at HSU, he gave excellent advice. What a GREAT company. He even told me that I would be just fine without the turbo (I'm not concerned with ulttraaaa low bass).

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/13001646

I just spoke to Pete at HSU, he gave excellent advice. What a GREAT company. He even told me that I would be just fine without the turbo (I'm not concerned with ulttraaaa low bass).

FWIW, I have the older 3.2 and I think you'll be surprised by how low it can go in-room (though my room is admittedly pretty small). Plus you can always add the turbo down the road if you feel like you're really missing out. Consider it a relatively cheap upgrade....

Enjoy.

Scott

·
Registered
3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 /forum/post/13001749

FWIW, I have the older 3.2 and I think you'll be surprised by how low it can go in-room (though my room is admittedly pretty small). Plus you can always add the turbo down the road if you feel like you're really missing out. Consider it a relatively cheap upgrade....

Enjoy.

Scott

I agree totally. Pete told me that even without the turbo I should be able to get usable in-room output down to about 18hz, sounds pretty good to me
. the entire world seems to be going subwoofer crazy (well atleast around these parts). I have the gain on my HSU turned to about 20%, I appreciate good bass as much as the next guy but I couldn't imagine nor want a more powerful sub in my 22 X 15 room. That's just me

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 /forum/post/13001820

the entire world seems to be going subwoofer crazy (well atleast around these parts).

Ain't that the truth lately...

Throw in the BAS disc that comes with the sub and see if Pete's even being conservative regarding 18Hz in max extension.

Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.