AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an LG C7 4K OLED but I don't yet have a 4K receiver or UHD Blu-ray player (still using my 1080p Denon receiver)...if I buy the 4K version of Last Jedi from VUDU will I be able to watch it in 4K HDR plus Atmos (using the built in Atmos speakers on my LG display)?...how good is 4K streaming video quality versus 4K Blu-ray's?...is it at least significantly better then 1080p Blu-ray quality?

I noticed my LG has apps for both Vudu and FandangoNOW (formerly known as M-GO)...there is no subscription fees for either and you just pay for the rentals or purchases you want...sounds like a really good deal (especially for people who have 4K displays but don't yet have a UHD Blu-ray player/receiver)...FandangoNOW seems to have quite a big list of 4K HDR movies...anyone have any experiences with either?

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I recently bought an LG C7 4K OLED but I don't yet have a 4K receiver or UHD Blu-ray player (still using my 1080p Denon receiver)...if I buy the 4K version of Last Jedi from VUDU will I be able to watch it in 4K HDR plus Atmos (using the built in Atmos speakers on my LG display)?...how good is 4K streaming video quality versus 4K Blu-ray's?...is it at least significantly better then 1080p Blu-ray quality?

I noticed my LG has apps for both Vudu and FandangoNOW (formerly known as M-GO)...there is no subscription fees for either and you just pay for the rentals or purchases you want...sounds like a really good deal (especially for people who have 4K displays but don't yet have a UHD Blu-ray player/receiver)...FandangoNOW seems to have quite a big list of 4K HDR movies...anyone have any experiences with either?
Not sure about FandangoNow but the VUDU app on the LG OLED has some issues.

https://forum.vudu.com/forum/technical-help/general-help/441950-vudu-app-on-my-lg-tv-won-t-work-properly

·
Registered
777 Posts
I dont understand how Fandango has the rights to 4K versions of some movies, and Vudu doesnt? Example...Interstellar and Valerian.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
after signing up for both FandangoNOW and Vudu yesterday I find them to be pretty similar in terms of movies, pricing and layout...although I hear that Vudu has the better 4K image quality...since both services can be linked via Movies Anywhere it seems they should just merge into 1 service...I rented Dunkirk 4K + Dolby Vision via Vudu last night and was blown away by the picture quality on my LG C7 OLED...definitely better then (or at worst equal to) the 1080p Blu-ray...I'm sure the UHD Blu-ray will look much better but since I don't currently have a 4K receiver this seems like an excellent way to watch 4K HDR movies

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I dont understand how Fandango has the rights to 4K versions of some movies, and Vudu doesnt? Example...Interstellar and Valerian.
I see Interstellar UHD on VUDU but you're right about Valerian. Interesting that FandangoNow is selling the Valerian UHD for $9.99.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I see Interstellar UHD on VUDU but you're right about Valerian. Interesting that FandangoNow is selling the Valerian UHD for $9.99.
Bought Valerian from FandangoNow I had already connected to Movies Anywhere. It doesn't show up in Vudu and although it suppose to be in HDR its not. Other HDR movies I have bought from them work properly. I'm using the FandangoNow app on Samsung KS8000.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
Bought Valerian from FandangoNow I had already connected to Movies Anywhere. It doesn't show up in Vudu and although it suppose to be in HDR its not. Other HDR movies I have bought from them work properly. I'm using the FandangoNow app on Samsung KS8000.
If you visit the VUDU Forum you will see the lack of Valerian UHD has been a topic in several threads since the movie become available. The inconsistencies between streaming services as to who has what can be confusing and frustrating.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought Last Jedi 4K which is supposed to have Dolby Vision enabled but when I go into the Vudu menu (pressing Pause/Rewind/Fast-Forward during a movie) I don't see the Dolby Vision icon/text...normally on the top right of the screen they have various icons/text for UHD, Atmos and Dolby Vision (or HDR)...I rented Dunkirk and the Dolby Vision icon appeared...with Last Jedi I only see the icons for UHD and Atmos...I have an LG OLED55C7P TV which supports 4K and Dolby Vision and it's working fine everywhere else such as Netflix etc...it also worked fine when I watched Dunkirk through Vudu...anyone else having this issue or is it just a bug?...without the icon displayed does this mean I'm not getting Dolby Vision enabled?

here is an example from YouTube of what it's supposed to look like (not my video just an example of what icons should appear on-screen)...

·
Registered
767 Posts
FandangoNow shares with iTunes. For those who've not been cashing in on the free iTunes HD upgrades, etc. well now for some titles it may be possible to add them in iTunes on your pc.

Fandangonow also has DTS HD and DTS X, but sadly not on all of their devices. Ipads have DTS X and can be set for internal speakers or various types of headphones, but not HDR/DV like iTunes. On Xbox one you have DTS HD, but no HDR. Roku Prem+ has HDR, but no HD sound.

For apple tv 4k users anything that ports to Fandango gets a sound upgrade to at least DD+ on Prem+ . DTS HD on xbox, but not 4K sadly so far. My LG has the sound options, but not sure it will get out HDMI-ARC intact. My xbox one s will play the dts hd and upmix it to Atmos for my Atmos sound bar.

Rather enjoying FandangoNow for now.:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
FandangoNow shares with iTunes. For those who've not been cashing in on the free iTunes HD upgrades, etc. well now for some titles it may be possible to add them in iTunes on your pc.

Fandangonow also has DTS HD and DTS X, but sadly not on all of their devices. Ipads have DTS X and can be set for internal speakers or various types of headphones, but not HDR/DV like iTunes. On Xbox one you have DTS HD, but no HDR. Roku Prem+ has HDR, but no HD sound.

For apple tv 4k users anything that ports to Fandango gets a sound upgrade to at least DD+ on Prem+ . DTS HD on xbox, but not 4K sadly so far. My LG has the sound options, but not sure it will get out HDMI-ARC intact. My xbox one s will play the dts hd and upmix it to Atmos for my Atmos sound bar.

Rather enjoying FandangoNow for now.:cool:
While this is good news, sadly most of the hold-out studios (from the UV to MA transition) are still not present. So movies from MGM, Paramount, Lionsgate, Orion, STX, etc. do not make the move from iTunes to FandangoNow.

·
Registered
767 Posts

Been using FandangoNow more and more. They have nearly double the titles of Vudu. Many titles are not HDR on Vudu. Vudu is on Apple TV 4K, but HDR not working and many of the Dolby Vision titles even are not present due to many devices not supporting dolby vision 4 and Vudu on a long slog to convert their titles to version 5 which will then allow them to playback in HDR on HDR only devices plus DV on ATV4K.

The great thing about FandangoNow is they share titles with Vudu and iTunes including 4K. (If redeeming code make sure its immediately goes to 4K on itunes or the 4K version won't port over; example I owned three Jurassic Park series blu-rays and since the codes were already expired I redeemed before they were 4K which got me 4K on iTunes, but not on FandangoNow.)

What this means is you don't have to have a way to watch on Apple, just an itunes account from a PC. You then can build your 4K library carefully and watch any of the titles that are Movies Anywhere on FandangoNow. This is not the case with Vudu.

The landscape is constantly changing and the rumor mill is starting that Apple TV will have Atmos before the end of the year (coming to beta soon:eek:).

·
Registered
767 Posts
While this is good news, sadly most of the hold-out studios (from the UV to MA transition) are still not present. So movies from MGM, Paramount, Lionsgate, Orion, STX, etc. do not make the move from iTunes to FandangoNow.
Still about 80% of the industry is on MA, so the glass is 80% full.:p

·
Registered
767 Posts
What I find interesting on the FandangoNow page is that they separate their UHD collection into 4K Ultra HD with HDR and 4K Ultra HD.

https://www.fandangonow.com/list/high-dynamic-movies
https://www.fandangonow.com/list/4k-ultra-hd-movies
OMG. There own lists are wrong. Almost all 4K on FandangNow is HDR at this point. Harry Potter Goblet of Fire is one exception (the rest of HP series is good). I try to buy in Fandango as it will port. Caveat Emptor if the movie is not on Vudu or iTunes in HDR/DV.

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FandangoNow seems to have more sales which is great but overall I use Vudu more...currently the 4K version of Dunkirk is available for purchase at $9.99

·
Registered
12,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if I buy a UHD/HDR title on FandangoNow will I be able to connect it to my Vudu account?...do both services have the same 4K quality or is one better then the other?...I see Dunkirk 4K is available for $9.99 on FandangoNow (same UHD disc is $19.99 on Vudu) and am tempted to purchase it

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, when using FandangoNow on my Xbox one S, it gives me the option to watch the UHD version, but when I stream the movie it displays as HD. Is this a bug, or does the Xbox app not stream UHD? If I stream via the tv FandangoNow app it displays as UHD, but with pcm 2.0 sound, which sucks..

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
FandangoNow is offering a free rental for a limited time. Use promo code - FANTICIPATION.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts