AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt having a standalone thread comparing the two would be better than burying my review within the Zune HD thread.

So I have finished watching UP(Zune HD and Vudu HDX), twice; as well as Cirque de Freak; for the third time (Blu-Ray, Zune HD, Vudu HDX). Has good dark scenes as well as some colorful moments.

My conclusion is this.

I can find little to no difference between the two services in either in PQ or sound.

Both movies look amazing and I could find no macro blocking or clear evidence of over compression.

Are they blu-ray? No, however they are pretty dang close IMO.

I have Netflix as well as a HTPC so for me the Xbox wins due to the netflix integration as well as the Zune HD stuff. All I wanted was something to supplement the Netflix for the rare occasion that I cannot get a new release and really want to see something right away or sooner than later.

I felt it a fair comparison of the two but for me personally the Xbox just does more overall. Now if Vudu had netflix integration it would be perfect IMO.

That being said, let me make clear that Vudu is a phenomenal service and HDX is by far one of the best formats I have seen on a standalone player.

I think the interface is by far one of the best I've seen in a long time and is superior to the Xbox model.

So my advice for those that are looking into either service is this; if you already have an Xbox, then stick with the Zune video market place already there.

If you haven't made the jump and want something that will do just HQ HD video and is easy to navigate then go with Vudu, so long as you have a connection that supports the material.(I have a 15Mbps connection and HDX videos took about 3 hours to download)

And at $150 bucks( i got mine new on eBay for $85) the Vudu is a better value than buying a $300 Xbox if you don't have one.

I think I'll hold onto my Vudu box for a little bit and gleam what I can from this whole Wal-Mart acquisition. See if anything unfolds like new titles, release dates, other integrated services, ect. But more than likely I will be selling my Vudu box, which is sad because like I said I do really like their service.

I just want everyone to be clear that I'm not knocking either setup nor am I advocating that one is better than the other, because to me they both seem just as good. But for me personally since I already own a Xbox it wasn't really as advantageous as I had hoped it would be to get a Vudu box.

So all in all, I have to say that both services are impressive and are definitely worth it.

BTW I attempted to take pics but unfortunately I'm having some camera issue.

Also just note, no scientific instruments were used, this was all based on what my eyes in a dark room were perceiving.

I was using my 50 inch Pioneer 5020FD running the signal through my Onkyo 607 with Klipsch Quintet III Speakers.

I hope this was helpful to everyone. I'll also answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
You sorta mentioned it but there is one big advantage zune has over vudu..... the ability to take your content "on the go" for no added cost with the zunehd now and windows phone 7 series later this year.

Personally I hope they rethink the model they use slightly..... right now on the PC side you can only download 720p content and the zunehd formatted video that comes with it. I'd much rather see them open up 1080p smoothstreaming for zune software (exactly like the xbox) and then all they let you download is the zunehd formatted version. I know why they do it like they do now but hopefully broadband will will improve to where its not necessary to store things locally.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagouar /forum/post/18279462

You sorta mentioned it but there is one big advantage zune has over vudu..... the ability to take your content "on the go" for no added cost with the zunehd now and windows phone 7 series later this year.

Personally I hope they rethink the model they use slightly..... right now on the PC side you can only download 720p content and the zunehd formatted video that comes with it. I'd much rather see them open up 1080p smoothstreaming for zune software (exactly like the xbox) and then all they let you download is the zunehd formatted version. I know why they do it like they do now but hopefully broadband will will improve to where its not necessary to store things locally.

Correct. And again it comes down to what you want and for you it probably wouldn't be worth the investment to get a Vudu box.

BTW; Gig em'! Class of 2011

1 - 3 of 3 Posts