AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I am asking in the right place. Here is what I would like. A device to replace my Roku HD box.

What I would like it to receive is Amazon VOD , Netflix and VuDU

What I have looked at Panasonic BD75 and The LG BD640 and 650. Price is an issue and would like to keep it low.

I do not need 3D. I would like pass through HDMI 5.1 audio to my Maranz. Does it exist.

·
Registered
806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe /forum/post/20763149

I hope I am asking in the right place. Here is what I would like. A device to replace my Roku HD box.

What I have looked at Panasonic BD75 and The LG BD640 and 650. Price is an issue and would like to keep it low.

I do not need 3D. I would like pass through HDMI 5.1 audio to my Maranz. Does it exist.

Not sure about the Panasonic, but I have the LG BD670, big brother to the 640 and 650. To the best of my knowledge, the Amazon app being used on the 2011 LG players does not support 5.1 playback as of this writing. I think it's very likely that the Netflix app doesn't support 5.1 either at this point, though I am not a Netflix subscriber so I haven't been able to verify.

With the latest Roku models having a Netflix app with 5.1 support, I know that solution would give you 5.1 for both Netflix and Amazon. Of course, they don't have a Vudu app...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I will forget this little venture.I will upgrade my Roku and forget about VUDU. If they want to limit the number

of people that use it it is their choice.I do not see anything on VUDU that is not on the others.

Thank You for all replies

·
Registered
29,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe /forum/post/20766459

I guess I will forget this little venture.I will upgrade my Roku and forget about VUDU. If they want to limit the number

of people that use it it is their choice.I do not see anything on VUDU that is not on the others.

VUDU's chief selling point is that it's much higher quality than other streaming services. Its 1080p "HDX" files are very close to Blu-ray video quality, and almost all titles have 5.1 sound.

For what it's worth, the OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player has VUDU, Netflix and Blockbuster apps, but no Amazon.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/20766783

VUDU's chief selling point is that it's much higher quality than other streaming services. Its 1080p "HDX" files are very close to Blu-ray video quality, and almost all titles have 5.1 sound.

And you can stream new releases.

I use all 3 services and for new releases, VuDu is superior.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yeah, VUDU probably has the best new selection and presentation, but you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
19,282 Posts
I picked up an open-box Panasonic DMP-BDT110 (w/full 1yr warranty) for $80 off the eBay. Look a bit, there are deals out there.

As for Vudu being expensive, that's why I load up on the $.99 (and $.05) movies.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesnomaybe /forum/post/20763149

I know the LG ST600 Smart Box has all of them. It has VUDU/CinemaNow/Netflix/Amazon/ MLB.TV/Pandora/YouTube to name a few.

It also has an internet app for searching, but it is my understanding it really sucks. Hard to use. And the ST600 is stuck on Adobe flash 8 or maybe 7, with no upgrades from LG coming. Meanwhile, Adobe is at 10.1 or something, so none of the flash stuff works all that well on the internet. It's User Interface is clumsy, and downright annoying. But if all you want is the apps, then this won't matter.

I don't know about the 5.1 passthrough, but it does offer all the apps you are looking for.

I have seen it on sale at best Buy for $80+tax. Usually goes for $130+tax. I would NEVER pay that.

I got one Open Box for $65+tax, and that was worth it IMHO. I didn't need it, but it had everything you listed. But like I said, I don't know about the 5.1 output.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I am looking for a device that does Vudu HDX/5.1, Amazon VOD with 5.1 and Netflix 1080p/5.1. Is the Panny 110 the best purchase for the $?

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/20773177

The Panasonic only does 720p/5.1. Being that there are only 2 devices right now that do Netflix 1080p/5.1 you're out of luck. The PS3 doesn't have Amazon and the Roku2 doesn't have Vudu.

Also, the Panasonic doesn't do 5.1 for Amazon.

There's been speculation that Roku will add VUDU later this year. Sony also released a new streaming box that's coming out in October. Waiting a month maybe the thing to do.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne /forum/post/20939554

There's been speculation that Roku will add VUDU later this year. Sony also released a new streaming box that's coming out in October. Waiting a month maybe the thing to do.

Oh wow. Any teeth to that Roku rumor or just what people on forums want? Like where did this speculation start?

Having just bought a Roku 2, Vudu is the only thing I feel I'm missing. I was just starting to consider an old Vudu STB again off Ebay.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerOne /forum/post/20939554

I am not in a rush. I will wait till Oct and see what shakes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe if we look at devices and see some of what we want but 1 thing is missing we should send an e-mail to the company. Something like I looked at your device it does 2 of the 3 things I want so I will pass on you product. Be sure to name what is missing.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklac /forum/post/20939581

Oh wow. Any teeth to that Roku rumor or just what people on forums want? Like where did this speculation start?

Having just bought a Roku 2, Vudu is the only thing I feel I'm missing. I was just starting to consider an old Vudu STB again off Ebay.

Good question. The speculation is rooted in the fact that Walmart start selling the Roku devices at retail. So, everyone said if they are selling Roku at retail and since Walmart owns VUDU, it must be part of the deal to add VUDU to the Roku. Right now, it's still speculation.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/20773177

The Panasonic only does 720p/5.1. Being that there are only 2 devices right now that do Netflix 1080p/5.1 you're out of luck. The PS3 doesn't have Amazon and the Roku2 doesn't have Vudu.

I believe the Panasonic 110,210 and 310 do stream Netflix in 1080p/5.1.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour /forum/post/20941311

I believe the Panasonic 110,210 and 310 do stream Netflix in 1080p/5.1.

Not 1080p as of yet. I have a 110 and I test its Netflix player's bandwidth consumption with every firmware release. Also the the BDTx10 Amazon player doesn't do 5.1 sound, though both the Netflix and VUDU players will bitstream DD+ 5.1 (for a minor subset of Netflix titles which have available digital surround sound; some VUDU titles have encoded basic DD5.1); the BDTx10s can also convert DD+ from the streamers to basic DD5.1 or 5.1 channel LPCM if desired.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.