AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I do not see how they come up with that much gain. I got some of the material and it looked like a gain of 4 or 5. I'm using a silver screen with a gain of 3, sorta like the Vutec. Their high gain screens are real exspensive. Stewart has a material that has a gain of 3, at $25 a square foot. All this high gain stuff has to be curved to work right.

Deron

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've got a vutec and the material is indeed a silver screen with a gain probably in the range of 3, but the curvature makes the total gain a lot higher. The thing really is bright, althought I haven't measured it. I had a flat glass-bead screen with a gain of 2.8 to compare it with and the vutec is enormously brighter, not even in the same class.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The curve of the screen does not add to the gain, it just helps to keep the hotspotting down.

Deron

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have a couple of questions about the curved Vutec screen, if anyone can help me out.

Do you get sharp edge to edge focusing? If so, do you have to employ any special techniques to get good focus?

Does the screen break down for shipping or moving? I have a sharp bend to get down my basement stairs and I don't think I could get something 92x52 around the bend unless it had a lot of flex.

Thanks.

·
Registered
888 Posts
My screen is smaller than your dimensions, I don't recall exactly what they are though. It is one solid piece, and not very flexible either. It is harder to get it fully focused than a regular flat screen, but I don't know of any special techniques either. The geometry distortion is a little weird too. I can get it so the geometry looks right for only person - the person sitting in the seat used to set up the geometry. Anyone looking at the screen from a different angle will get some amount of curvature in the geometry. It is not terribly distracting once you get used to it though.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Vultec's screen is curved from top to bottom, mine is curved from side to side. I have no problem getting the image set up right. The screen material is aluminum foil on paper, so you can imagine what would happen to it if you bent it. No good. How do you get any furniture in the basement?

Deron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.