AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a Vutec 80" x 45" x 1/2" glass rear projection screen. I'll be making this purchase with AVS tomorrow (unless I get a significantly lower quote from someone else--I made a lot of calls today).

My question is: What gain should I go with?

I talked to AVS' Jason on the phone (as you would expect from AVS, he seems very knowledgeable). I believe I'm ordering the Retro-Vu model: http://vutec.com/vuteccatalog/retrovu.pdf which comes in gains of 1 to 2.5. Jason thought 2.5 gain would be fine for my projector (G70) and. I have no reason to doubt him, but there's been a lot of discussion about hot spotting with high gain screens, and because I'm spending more for the screen than I did for my projector, I REALLY need to make the right decision.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Phil you checkout vutec prismatec rear screen with a gain of 6. There are several post on this screen. I will send you a private email.

Felix

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Felix,

The Prismatec model isn't available in glass.

I forgot to mention that my home has an open floor plan, and the family room that I'm using for my HT room is open to several other rooms and a stair case with a roof light. I normally only watch TV or movies at night anyway, so this is usually not a problem. But I'm considering getting the screen in dark gray so it's at least usable during the day. Is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bump

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Phil,

What did you end up purchasing? What made you decide on Vutec vs Stewart? If you don't mind me asking about how much did the screen cost (you can PM me if you don't want it to be public knowledge).

Thanks.

Gary

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gary,

I haven't purchased anything yet. I think I'm going to go with a Holodisplay acrylic screen: http://www.holodisplays.com and put a 1/2" piece of glass in front of it. I received samples from them and have done a crude comparison , but haven't had time to write up my results. I'll try to do that this weekend. Here's a thread in the screen forum about it: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=358774

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Phil,

Thanks for the update. I've been doing a lot of research lately and that's how I came across your thread. Just out of curiousity, why did you end up going with the Hololite instead of the Vutec? Also, are you using a mirror to fold the image?

I was planning on going with the Silverstar in my new theater but I can easily spare 5-6' behind the planned room to build a projection room. I've read numerous threads on this and it seems to me the best way to "blackout" the projection room is to line the walls with black velvet curtains. I have black velvet curtains in the front of my current room and covered my screen framing with balck velvet as well. It is amazing how much light this stuff absorbs.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.