AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sharp 12K arrives next week.....(Thanks Jason!) After reading many posts about the benefits of a High Gain Screen with this PJ.. I'm in need of a assistance in making my final decision on screens... I'm going to go with a 110".....but from whom? Vutec Silverstar?, Dalite High Power or Carada Brilliant White. I've been told by a few people that the SilverStar would be the better of the three, but is it worth the extra $$.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Carada brillint white is not a high power screen. Isn't it like 1.4 gain?

The High Power can be as cheap as 1/6 the cost of the Silverstar if purchased in 4:3 format or standard business screen. They are both different screens and do different things. Their gain is the only thing that is similar. Make sure you know the difference between retroreflective and angular reflective before you buy.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well, in my personal (and copyrighted) opinion, I would not recommend the SilverStar with a DLP projector. I find the picture from a DLP projector to be sort of -- harsh. The clean silver surface of the SilverStar is harsh in it's own right, and tends to sharpen whatever image it receives. With a DLP and the Vutec combined, you get an image that may appear "over digitized" or cause an uncomfortable eye strain during a long night watching ...... stuff. I think that other projection methods such as CRT, DILA, and LCD throw a "softer" image; the SilverStar then reflects this back to the viewer unaltered.

The DLP process is based on spinning color wheels, and flipping mirrors. Using a screen with a "white" base would allow just a little cushion for all that action to melt into what appears in your brain to be a smooth image.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm in the same position. Just received my Sharp 12K yesterday. I spent only a couple of hours viewing different material last night. I have a 110" Grayhawk which is too dim in the HC mode. I tried a sample of the SS which was nice and bright, but it seems to bring out some video noise which is well hidden with the GH. The High Power has issues with the limited viewing cone -- not ideal for a theater with rows of seats. I may have to stick to a low gain screen. I'm going to measure of the light output in the HC mode and try to come up with a solution.

Jeff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.